• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 1 opener between 1986-2006

Who is the #1 Opener between 1986-2006

• Anwar

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Boon

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Gibbs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gooch

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Haydon

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Haynes

• Jayasuriya

• Langer

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Kirsten

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Sehwag

• Sidhu

• Slater

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Smith

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Strauss

• Taylor

• Trescothick

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Vaughan

• Wright

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kirsten just over Haydos and Gooch. Sehwag needs more tests behind him one would think.

FRAZ

International Captain
I chose Jayasuriya .. And its the only vote (until now) that the genteman got .. Just wondering Why its only me in the end who makes the best choice??

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
aussie tragic said:
What's wrong with Boony. As opener, he has the 5th best average of the group, plus he's a legend for his drinking exploits.....

Besides, I was thinking of voting for Boony as the 2nd opener :(
Don't get me wrong, Boony is a hero of mine, but surely the vote was only cast on the ability to make a ton with can in hand.

Last edited:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FRAZ said:
I chose Jayasuriya .. And its the only vote (until now) that the genteman got .. Just wondering Why its only me in the end who makes the best choice??
Slats is the winner's choice.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
aussie tragic said:
What's wrong with Boony. As opener, he has the 5th best average of the group, plus he's a legend for his drinking exploits.....

Besides, I was thinking of voting for Boony as the 2nd opener :(
Didn't Boon spend his best years at number 3? He was certainly batting there by the time Aus toured England in 1989, and I don't recall him opening subsequently.

My vote goes to Langer, btw. Hayden is probably better at filling his boots against flat attacks, but I know who I'd prefer when the going gets tough.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
Didn't Boon spend his best years at number 3? He was certainly batting there by the time Aus toured England in 1989, and I don't recall him opening subsequently.
Statsguru claims he opened in 36 of his 107 Tests, averaging 45 and scoring his 2 highest Test scores from the position. I'm not sure someone who played just over a third of his Tests as an opener whilst playing almost double the amount of Tests and averaging more in another position should really be included in a list of openers, though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie said:
top in order:

1. Hayden
2. Gooch
3. Anwar
4. Langer
5. Kirsten

Hayden is my #1 as well, but Sehwag definatly needs to be in top 5. He averages 52.07 away and 52.19 at home. Thats what you want in an opener.

cameeel

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
How could you chose Langer when Australia have another opener who has scored far more runs against exactly the same teams at exactly the same time?
I prefer watching Langer, and it's not like he was going to win anyway.

Matteh

I find it interesting that someone as tenuous an opener as Vaughan gets in, when Athers doesn't. And Athers deserves to win just for that spell from Allan Donald.

JBH001

International Regular
LOL! I was going to vote Vaughan myself - that is pre captaincy and pre injury Vaughan, but as the time scale is upto 2006 I guess that puts that out of the equation.

Anyway, I punt for Hayden - as much as I don't want to. :)

JBH001

International Regular
Also, may I say that strike rate of <70 is asking too much of a spinner.

I mean I am sure we all know what the ultimate choice is going to come down to - but in terms of spinners as a whole a strike rate of under 70 is very unusual.

If you want to present a real choice, with range, for spinners (apart from Murali, Kumble and Warne) than maybe the strike rate requirement should be lifted to 75?

And yeah, an all-rounders batting average of over 20 is too low - perhaps a batting average of >25 would be more ideal for a genuine all-rounder?

Just a couple of suggestions.

R_D

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:
Hayden. Too consistent for too long, to be considered anything other than a great.
hahaha.. yeah and only time he faced a good bowling lineup in that time period he failed pretty badly. One of great's indeed.
I was goin to pick Anwar but suprised to see he only played 45 tests.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
R_D said:
hahaha.. yeah and only time he faced a good bowling lineup in that time period he failed pretty badly. One of great's indeed.
As if India in India wasn't a good attack.

Mister Wright

R_D said:
Everyone has a poor run, and he was in a poor run during that series. He still managed a century in the last test and ended up with something like the 5th best average, that's how tough it was for all batsman on that tour. People forget his exploits against Pakistan in the heat when he scored 2 centuries in the match among other powerful performances at home.