Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44

Thread: Cricket & Terrorism

  1. #1
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    23,892

    Cricket & Terrorism

    With the increase of terrorism the past few years and the scares in Sri Lanka involving South Africa/India and in Pakistan involving New Zealand, do the ICC need to introduce some firm guidelines as to the safety of players when touring?

    If we look at the extremes, could any of these actually happen:

    * Matches being played in empty grounds for safety reasons.
    * Foreign players not allowed out in public without heavy security around them.
    * No contact between fans and players (autograph hunters, etc)

    Is the game we all love set for a big down turn due to the global threat of terrorism we have today?

  2. #2
    Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Medway valley
    Posts
    5,782
    I dunno - it didn't have much impact on the footie World Cup (not that I was following it very closely) and the Athens Olympics did it? And I'd have thought they would have been more obvious targets.

    England on tour in the sub-con already have a big security entourage - a sensible precaution given that they're representing the country which is one of America's main allies in the Middle East. I don't think a side from, say, West Indies would need the same.

  3. #3
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,171

    Icon8

    Cricket and politics are two seperate issues . I will agree on deniel if the attack was directed towards the certain team otherwise its just cat act to go out of the country . What if some body murders (God forbid) his whole family and he lives near the hotel where touring teams are staying ?? Its not so different than terorrism I guess .
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

  4. #4
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,171

    Icon3

    BTW I think you meant "Terorrism" James?


  5. #5
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Deep, deep south
    Posts
    16,658
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ
    Cricket and politics are two seperate issues . I will agree on deniel if the attack was directed towards the certain team otherwise its just cat act to go out of the country . What if some body murders (God forbid) his whole family and he lives near the hotel where touring teams are staying ?? Its not so different than terorrism I guess .
    Can you blame NZ for going home from Pakistan a few years ago though? The bomb went off right across the road.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,746
    i think the idea of playing in an empty ground is a good idea sometimes eg over zealous fans from india and pakistan setting of flares in the middle of the grandstand but i think we still need contact between the fans anautograph hunters as this is what makes the game grow worldwide seeing kids going up with a smile on the face to talk to an international cricketer.

  7. #7
    U19 Debutant _TiGeR-ToWn_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pub
    Posts
    393
    Like FRAZ said two seperate issues. Bringing in strict policies like empty stadiums, no contact between players and supporters and security bodygaurds is going to wreck the game that we love. We need this sort of interaction for the game to continue to grow world wide.

    Has a direct terror threat at a cricket team happened or has the attacks been directed at other people and have just gone off near travelling parties?
    Last edited by _TiGeR-ToWn_; 14-08-2006 at 06:24 PM.

  8. #8
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,171
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieDominance
    i think the idea of playing in an empty ground is a good idea sometimes eg over zealous fans from india and pakistan setting of flares in the middle of the grandstand but i think we still need contact between the fans anautograph hunters as this is what makes the game grow worldwide seeing kids going up with a smile on the face to talk to an international cricketer.
    So you are continuing it . Whats this zealous means .. What about the zoo crowd booing other players and teams . Do you even know how is the crowd of Pakistan (recently) . Do you even know ?????????????????????????
    HUH zealous

  9. #9
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,171
    Quote Originally Posted by _TiGeR-ToWn_
    Like FRANZ said two seperate issues. Bringing in strict policies like empty stadiums, no contact between players and supporters and security bodygaurds is going to wreck the game that we love. We need this sort of interaction for the game to continue to grow world wide.

    Has a direct terror threat at a cricket team happened or has the attacks been directed at other people and have just gone off near travelling parties?

    Its Fraz man please Fraz not Franz!!!

  10. #10
    U19 Debutant _TiGeR-ToWn_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pub
    Posts
    393
    Sorry pal. Edit!

  11. #11
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,171
    Quote Originally Posted by _TiGeR-ToWn_
    Sorry pal. Edit!
    Thank you very much !!! Welcome to the CW ...

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    23,892
    Quote Originally Posted by _TiGeR-ToWn_
    Like FRAZ said two seperate issues. Bringing in strict policies like empty stadiums, no contact between players and supporters and security bodygaurds is going to wreck the game that we love. We need this sort of interaction for the game to continue to grow world wide.

    Has a direct terror threat at a cricket team happened or has the attacks been directed at other people and have just gone off near travelling parties?
    Welcome to CW

    I'm not saying these should happen. I'm just saying, due to the global threat of terrorism now, will we see any extra steps being taken on security? If so, what would they be?

    It seems only a matter of time before a sporting team of some kind gets caught up in a terrorist activity. Whether targeted directly or caught up in an attack.

    What got me thinking was the South African coach saying this on the bomb blast in Colombo:

    Officials told both countries that cricket teams or any sporting events would not be targeted, but had it been a day off South Africa coach Mikey Arthur said many players would have been in the area of the bomb blast.
    It seems New Zealand and now South Africa have had two very lucky escapes.

  13. #13
    U19 Debutant _TiGeR-ToWn_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pub
    Posts
    393
    Thanks for the welcome (even though been signed up since august)

    Terrorism is massive issue in the world but you just dont know when and where it will strike. Preventative steps are good but often they won't stop a well planned and executed operation. But maybe increasing security and putting restrictions on what can be brought into the ground is a start. But drastic measures are not needed at he moment.

  14. #14
    State Vice-Captain viktor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    united states
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    It seems New Zealand and now South Africa have had two very lucky escapes.
    David Hookes wasn't quite as lucky, was he?
    Member of the AAAS

  15. #15
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    23,892
    Quote Originally Posted by viktor
    David Hookes wasn't quite as lucky, was he?
    Unfortunately not no

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Next Indian Coach
    By shoot_me in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 23-05-2007, 02:37 AM
  2. China Embrace Cricket!
    By Blaze in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 18-04-2007, 07:46 AM
  3. Top cricket things not at a cricket ground
    By James in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-10-2006, 03:32 AM
  4. Latest Press Release
    By James in forum General
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 23-03-2005, 04:25 AM
  5. Cricket Web - Fantasy Cricket - T&N Trophy Challenge IV
    By James in forum Cricket Web Forum Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 03:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •