• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket & Terrorism

James

Cricket Web Owner
With the increase of terrorism the past few years and the scares in Sri Lanka involving South Africa/India and in Pakistan involving New Zealand, do the ICC need to introduce some firm guidelines as to the safety of players when touring?

If we look at the extremes, could any of these actually happen:

* Matches being played in empty grounds for safety reasons.
* Foreign players not allowed out in public without heavy security around them.
* No contact between fans and players (autograph hunters, etc)

Is the game we all love set for a big down turn due to the global threat of terrorism we have today?

stumpski

International Captain
I dunno - it didn't have much impact on the footie World Cup (not that I was following it very closely) and the Athens Olympics did it? And I'd have thought they would have been more obvious targets.

England on tour in the sub-con already have a big security entourage - a sensible precaution given that they're representing the country which is one of America's main allies in the Middle East. I don't think a side from, say, West Indies would need the same.

FRAZ

International Captain
Cricket and politics are two seperate issues . I will agree on deniel if the attack was directed towards the certain team otherwise its just cat act to go out of the country . What if some body murders (God forbid) his whole family and he lives near the hotel where touring teams are staying ?? Its not so different than terorrism I guess .

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
Cricket and politics are two seperate issues . I will agree on deniel if the attack was directed towards the certain team otherwise its just cat act to go out of the country . What if some body murders (God forbid) his whole family and he lives near the hotel where touring teams are staying ?? Its not so different than terorrism I guess .
Can you blame NZ for going home from Pakistan a few years ago though? The bomb went off right across the road.

i think the idea of playing in an empty ground is a good idea sometimes eg over zealous fans from india and pakistan setting of flares in the middle of the grandstand but i think we still need contact between the fans anautograph hunters as this is what makes the game grow worldwide seeing kids going up with a smile on the face to talk to an international cricketer.

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
Like FRAZ said two seperate issues. Bringing in strict policies like empty stadiums, no contact between players and supporters and security bodygaurds is going to wreck the game that we love. We need this sort of interaction for the game to continue to grow world wide.

Has a direct terror threat at a cricket team happened or has the attacks been directed at other people and have just gone off near travelling parties?

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
AussieDominance said:
i think the idea of playing in an empty ground is a good idea sometimes eg over zealous fans from india and pakistan setting of flares in the middle of the grandstand but i think we still need contact between the fans anautograph hunters as this is what makes the game grow worldwide seeing kids going up with a smile on the face to talk to an international cricketer.
So you are continuing it . Whats this zealous means .. What about the zoo crowd booing other players and teams . Do you even know how is the crowd of Pakistan (recently) . Do you even know ?????????????????????????
HUH zealous

FRAZ

International Captain
_TiGeR-ToWn_ said:
Like FRANZ said two seperate issues. Bringing in strict policies like empty stadiums, no contact between players and supporters and security bodygaurds is going to wreck the game that we love. We need this sort of interaction for the game to continue to grow world wide.

Has a direct terror threat at a cricket team happened or has the attacks been directed at other people and have just gone off near travelling parties?
:wallbash:
Its Fraz man please Fraz not Franz!!!

James

Cricket Web Owner
_TiGeR-ToWn_ said:
Like FRAZ said two seperate issues. Bringing in strict policies like empty stadiums, no contact between players and supporters and security bodygaurds is going to wreck the game that we love. We need this sort of interaction for the game to continue to grow world wide.

Welcome to CW :)

I'm not saying these should happen. I'm just saying, due to the global threat of terrorism now, will we see any extra steps being taken on security? If so, what would they be?

It seems only a matter of time before a sporting team of some kind gets caught up in a terrorist activity. Whether targeted directly or caught up in an attack.

What got me thinking was the South African coach saying this on the bomb blast in Colombo:

Officials told both countries that cricket teams or any sporting events would not be targeted, but had it been a day off South Africa coach Mikey Arthur said many players would have been in the area of the bomb blast.
It seems New Zealand and now South Africa have had two very lucky escapes.

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
Thanks for the welcome (even though been signed up since august)

Terrorism is massive issue in the world but you just dont know when and where it will strike. Preventative steps are good but often they won't stop a well planned and executed operation. But maybe increasing security and putting restrictions on what can be brought into the ground is a start. But drastic measures are not needed at he moment.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
James said:
Unfortunately not no :mellow:
So should bars and nightclubs be barred for cricketers? If we are to prevent fan-cricketer contact, you could stretch things as far as that. So where do you draw the line?
Personally, I think we should leave things as they are. Increase the security for the players, may be, but playing to empty stadiums, its happened once and I don't want to see it happen again.

stumpski

International Captain
_TiGeR-ToWn_ said:
Thanks for the welcome (even though been signed up since august)

Er, it's August now, isn't it? Or have you been here a year?

Oh, I see you have.

Last edited:

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
viktor said:
So should bars and nightclubs be barred for cricketers? If we are to prevent fan-cricketer contact, you could stretch things as far as that. So where do you draw the line?
That is a seperate topic up for discussion. But it was an extreme case fueled by alcohol and an over agressive bouncer. Poor Hooksey. We are not out to control there lives, they are sportsman and celebraties, but we shouldnt limitt them to what anyother human being has the right to do. We need to protect them at the cricket ground/scene but outside of that it is there life and they can run it how ever they feel like.

FRAZ

International Captain
AussieDominance said:
pakistan setting of flares in the middle of the grandstand
Prove when Pakistanis set fires in the stand .. Prove it otherwise get the heck outta any race based thread .. I said it previously and again .. Clown !!!!!!!!

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FRAZ said:
Prove when Pakistanis set fires in the stand .. Prove it otherwise get the heck outta any race based thread .. I said it previously and again .. Clown !!!!!!!!
Woah. Calm down mate