• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rule Clarification

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
My question is this:
If a right handed batsman plays a reverse sweep and the ball pitches outside the leg stump and it strikes the batsman in line with the stumps, should the batsman be viewed as a left hander and therefore be considered for lbw?

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
Armadillo said:
My question is this:
If a right handed batsman plays a reverse sweep and the ball pitches outside the leg stump and it strikes the batsman in line with the stumps, should the batsman be viewed as a left hander and therefore be considered for lbw?
I was meaning to ask this aswell as it happened to Matt Prior...the commentators were not too sure how the umpire could give it out and the only reason they came up with was that he was being viewed as a left hander for the LBW as he was playing a reverse sweep.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What would happen if there was a batsman who was totally front on, in the fashion of French cricket. How does one decipher between a left and right handed batsman in that case?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
benchmark00 said:
What would happen if there was a batsman who was totally front on, in the fashion of French cricket. How does one decipher between a left and right handed batsman in that case?
They can never be gotten out, because both sides are legside

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
That's true. Another loophole is that if a batsman starts with a left handed stance then quickly switches to his normal right handed stance, he can pad away any balls pitching outside the right handers off stump, right?

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
The batsman's bottom hand on the bat at the point of delivery could be used - very few players can change their hands around on the handle quick enought to react, so that although a batsman may be reverse sweeping and appear to be playing like a left hander, he is still effectively holding the bat as a right hander.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Armadillo said:
That's true. Another loophole is that if a batsman starts with a left handed stance then quickly switches to his normal right handed stance, he can pad away any balls pitching outside the right handers off stump, right?
The rules against changing hands and stance, I'm sure of it, I just couldn't be bothered looking them up for the correct wording.

R_D

International Debutant
thought you can't change stance jsut when a bowlers about bowl.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: This reminds me of that other question as to whether the batsman is allowed to hold the bails on if he thinks he's going to be bowled.:laugh: