• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Decisions by an Umpire...

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Inspired by Mr Hartleys failure to spot something close to a beamer, I want to know what you think is the worst decision made by an umpire in any proffesional match

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Darrel Hair whenever he umpires against Pak tends to make some crucial blunders that even a blind man can see.

greg

International Debutant
The worst umpiring decision I've ever seen was Stewart lbw Jayasuriya 19, first innings at Galle on 2000-1 tour. The ball pitched several inches outside leg stump and Stewart played a pull shot with his pads covering his stumps. The umpire later said that he had been unsighted by Jayasuriya in his follow-through ;)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I can't recall who the ump (or umps) were (& CBA to look it up), but we got some very, er, generous decisions v yer Saffies in 1998. Athers famously edged AAD behind to no avail & Kallis was given out LBW to Gough (IIRC) off an absolutely huge inside edge.

Xuhaib

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
I can't recall who the ump (or umps) were (& CBA to look it up), but we got some very, er, generous decisions v yer Saffies in 1998. Athers famously edged AAD behind to no avail & Kallis was given out LBW to Gough (IIRC) off an absolutely huge inside edge.
Javaid Akhter and Peter Willy.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Dont post in it then, fraz

That one in the 2005 ashes were jones got Damien Martyn out lbw, despite the massive inside edge. the worse one i have seen

FRAZ

International Captain
Tomm NCCC said:
Dont post in it then, fraz

That one in the 2005 ashes were jones got Damien Martyn out lbw, despite the massive inside edge. the worse one i have seen
Take ease brah .. I was just hurt .. deeply hurt you know .... This Umpire thingi hurts me . Scars are on my heart .. check out the link I posted and the discussions on that page. When I said something about Hair then only a few souls said "Fraz is right "... Dont wory my man .. I am sorry even if you took my words in a bad way .. I am just hurt .... Heart broken .....
Peace
Btw , "Butt n Hair" incident was a gem of an example . "Murali n Hair ," Shoaib Hair" , "Inzamam Hair ", "Younis Khan Hair ". Not giving out to Pieterson incident and many others.............

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
My memories always poor with past cricket games.
But im sure i remembered in a tour of NZ (or was it in England vs NZ!) where Flintoff missed the ball by about 2 inches yet the Umpire gave him out caught behind! Easily the worse decision ive ever seen. Does anyone remember it? and if so can they add more details if possible! :laugh:

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
FRAZ said:
Take ease brah .. I was just hurt .. deeply hurt you know .... This Umpire thingi hurts me . Scars are on my heart .. check out the link I posted and the discussions on that page. When I said something about Hair then only a few souls said "Fraz is right "... Dont wory my man .. I am sorry even if you took my words in a bad way .. I am just hurt .... Heart broken .....
Peace
Btw , "Butt n Hair" incident was a gem of an example . "Murali n Hair ," Shoaib Hair" , "Inzamam Hair ", "Younis Khan Hair ". Not giving out to Pieterson incident and many others.............
Its ok man, Im here for you.

I am guilty of exploiting an umpire who knows note about cricket. It was in a PE match, we had A WOMAN supply teacher. I was bowling medium pace, ball left my hand late, bounced about three times, pitched 10 yards out of leg stump, lad went to hit it but he missed it, it hit his legs and I said, thats out miss! and she gave it out

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Razzaq to Tendulkar - Bucknor
You could see the light between Tendulkar's bat and the ball but Sachin was still given out caught behind.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
SpaceMonkey said:
My memories always poor with past cricket games.
But im sure i remembered in a tour of NZ (or was it in England vs NZ!) where Flintoff missed the ball by about 2 inches yet the Umpire gave him out caught behind! Easily the worse decision ive ever seen. Does anyone remember it? and if so can they add more details if possible! :laugh:
31.2 Adams to Flintoff, OUT: pushing on the front foot, it flies low
through to Parore, taking it just above the ground, and replays
show it missed the bat by a mile!

England 118/6, Partnership of 43
A Flintoff c Parore b Adams 29 (29b 5x4 1x6)
GP Thorpe 41* (80b 5x4) AR Adams 9.2-0-31-2

Umpire Cowie gets a boo from the large portion of English fans in
the crowd, must have missed the bat by a couple of cm at least
Actually, it missed by more than that.
A lucky wicket for New Zealand, Umpire Cowie helping them out

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
two that come to mind immediately

1. Lee to S Jones, Edgbaston 2005 - if Bowden couldn't give that out lbw then then we may as well scrap the law.

2. Caddick to Jayasuriya, Kandy 2002 - Jayasuriya hit the ball into the ground & still was giving out caught at slip by the imfamous BC Cooray

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Some of Warnie`s LBW turn-downs are just hilarious. One to Flintoff in the Ashes where it pitched on middle, hit the pad in fornt of middle, and Flintoff was nowhere near it. But I guess that`s cricket. :)

Gillespie`s LBW of Tendulkar at the GABBA was also really funny. Too high, going past leg, but Bucknor obliged. :D

FRAZ

International Captain
I dont mind the bad decisions "once in the blue moon " ,but making em habitual upon the sighting of every moon is bad IMHO.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Nnanden said:
Some of Warnie`s LBW turn-downs are just hilarious. One to Flintoff in the Ashes where it pitched on middle, hit the pad in fornt of middle, and Flintoff was nowhere near it. But I guess that`s cricket. :)
I'm sure that Warne gets far more lbws in his favour than other spinners. He gets plenty of lbws through his slider when the batsman comes forward but misses (like the Flintoff one your describing). I could swear that Vettori never gets anyone out lbw when they're on the front foot.

Anyway, I can think of two absolute shockers in recent times off the top of my head (suprisingly, both contain NZers). The first is Brendan McCullum being given out lbw to Brad Hogg a couple of years ago in Australia. He got a massive inside edge on it, Glichrist dived forward to try and take the catch leaving only the bowler appealling. Somehow the umpire decided it was out - even Gilchrist looked stunned. The other is Hamish Marshall being given out lbw to Murali in an ODI last season. Murali bowled from around the wicket, Marshall went to sweep, missed, and the ball hit him on the glove. There was an appeal and the umpire gave him out. The ball didn't even deflect onto the pad, it came straight off his glove yet he was given out lbw (prompting Bracewell, in a failed attempt at humour, to say he'd been given out handled ball).