• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Decisions by an Umpire...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The worst decision I ever saw from a so-called top umpire was by David Constant in 1980. The match was England v West Indies. He gave Alan Knott out LBW to a bouncer from Malcolm Marshall that was bowled around the wicket, pitched outside leg stump and hit Knott on the elbow as he ducked. Jim Laker described the decision as "extraordinary", which was a fairly kind description.

Craig

World Traveller
The first Test between West Indies and Australia was shocking. Take you pick at the shockers there.

One that does stand out is the one where Chris Cairns bowled to Justin Langer at the first Test in Brisbane in 2001, it looked plumb out LBW but he was gien not out. How?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SpaceMonkey said:
My memories always poor with past cricket games.
But im sure i remembered in a tour of NZ (or was it in England vs NZ!) where Flintoff missed the ball by about 2 inches yet the Umpire gave him out caught behind! Easily the worse decision ive ever seen. Does anyone remember it? and if so can they add more details if possible! :laugh:
That was the one I was going to post about. My thunder has been stolen. :(

It was a shocker though, and on Sportscafe that night (a sportsy comedy type thing) they said "how about a round of applause for Doug Cowie?". It was well-deserved.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The worst collective umpiring was in the 1982-83 Australia v England series. Greg Chappel was run out by about 3 feet and given not out. In the Final Test Dyson was run out by a similar margin at a vital early stage and went on to bat all day. The umpire explained that it was 6 inches in or 6 inches out so too close to call - not a great explanation in itself especially as he was out by a yard. In the same series David Gower barely played a shot at a leg side long hop that brushed his hip, Lawson appealed as an afterthought and the umpire gave him out. Even the Aussie crowd booed when they saw the replay. Also in that series Geoff Miller was given not out to the thickest edge you will every see and then given out LBW next ball to a delivery that would have missed another set. The late David Hookes missed a turning ball in the Final Test by a good 4 inches and was given out. Botham and Lamb also got laughable decisions in that series. It wasn't all one way although England got the rough end, it was just all around appalling umpiring throughout.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FRAZ said:
Cant beat Murali n Hair thingi ................
FRAZ said:
Cant beat Pieterson given not out by Hair .........
:blink:

In recent memory, Symonds was given out lbw in a test match where it would've missed a fourth stump.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Cairns to Hayden (IIRC) in the first test of NZ's tour of Australia, 00/01...

It was plumb in front and yet Koertzen didn't give it. Didn't get an edge either...

FRAZ

International Captain
andyc said:
:blink:

In recent memory, Symonds was given out lbw in a test match where it would've missed a fourth stump.
And Fraz said

FRAZ said:
I dont mind the bad decisions "once in the blue moon " ,but making em habitual upon the sighting of every moon is bad IMHO.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
aussie said:
2. Caddick to Jayasuriya, Kandy 2002 - Jayasuriya hit the ball into the ground & still was giving out caught at slip by the imfamous BC Cooray
Ah yes, BC 'Bad Call' Cooray. Never saw daylight again.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Alec Stewart, LBW to I think Wasim Akram in a ODI in Pakistan, can't remember the year (2002?) or umpire but I seem to remember it would have missed another set of stumps too :laugh:

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Another one form the ashes 2005

anyone remeber Gillespie bowling to Flintoff in our first innings, we were 9 down, and he hit freddie right on his toe, still in his crease, and silly bowden gave it not out.:laugh:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Worst call from the Ashes I recall is Harmison's LBW to Katich at Trent Bridge (I think). Pitched outside leg and was going over the top by a mile. I watched it on the highlights and was expecting an LBW, but was still stunned!

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's about time the Third Umpire got a bit of stick. In the World Cup Quarter-Final between England and Sri Lanka in 1996(I think) Robin Smith was given run out when he clearly wasn't and rumour has it that the third umpire pressed the wrong button by accident.
In one of the Ashes Series in Australia in the 90's Michael Slater was given not out when he should have been given run out (by his own admission) and he went on to make a century.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
vic_orthdox said:
...for many, it would have to have been the choice to become an umpire in the first place!
But if nobody made that decision, the game wouldn't exist.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The Katich one that Neil mentioned was pretty amazing. Pitched an absolute mile outside leg, and wouldn't have hit the stumps anyway. The Tendulkar lbw in Brisbane in '03 was pretty amazing too, that that one where McMillan missed one by a mile from Gillespie (I think), but it moved so much off a crack that the umpire thought it was an edge and gave it out.

Almost all the bad decisions people remember are dismissals which shouldn't have been, though. The worst not out I've ever seen was also in the last Ashes series. I think it was Lee to Pietersen, with Rudi umpiring. It was a full toss a little below bail height and on the way down, would have hit middle, and Pietersen didn't play a shot because he lost sight of it and was trying to get out of the way. It was such a blatant decision that Rudi actually apologised the next day and said he couldn't see it either.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
that that one where McMillan missed one by a mile from Gillespie (I think), but it moved so much off a crack that the umpire thought it was an edge and gave it out.
I think it might have been McCullum. He copped a few shockers last time he was over here.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Yeah, I believe it was McCullum. Haha, I forgot about that Fuller! Plumb as.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Wasn't there a really controversial run out in one of the Australia vs Bangladesh Tests this year, where the third umpire made a terrible call on a run out?

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
I remeber the one Between South Africa and Australia. Some South african player was a mile away from the crease, wasnt even in shot by time the bails had lifted, but the 3rd umpire gave it not out, he pressed the wrong button then changed it half a minute later:laugh: