• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist denies retirement talk (Edit: and announces his retirement)

iamdavid

International Debutant
Crosthwaite is still playing the one dayers. He hasn't been consistent enough with the bat in 4 dayers, nor with the gloves. A freak underage player, so he was earmarked very early. He'll be back at some stage, maybe a little "loose" as a player. Got all the shots, maybe more than he needs...
What are your impressions of Wade so far? He's been even more succesful than Crosthwaite was at underage level (domestically atleast), and he seems to have the inside running atm. Who do you think will get the keepers job for Victoria longterm?

iamdavid

International Debutant
You maybe right, but wasn't Hodge unfit when said 'Gabba squad was announced?
Dont remember tbh as all the hype in the lead up to the series was over who would get the spot out of Watson, Symonds and Clarke...Bizare that Hodge wasnt in the running (in the media's opinion :blink: )
But the injury which prevented him from taking Martyn's place in Perth was only a very minor, short-term one, so I suspect he had been available for Brisbane.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
What are your impressions of Wade so far? He's been even more succesful than Crosthwaite was at underage level (domestically atleast), and he seems to have the inside running atm. Who do you think will get the keepers job for Victoria longterm?
I've played a fair bit with and against Wade, he's playing at my club this year. I don't think he's the most natural gloveman, but he's probably a bit better batsman at this stage. Knows his game really well, especially for a guy who is only just 20. Arguable who was the better youth cricketer; Wade had that awesome last season of U/19s and was very good throughout, but Crosthwaite did win the Player of the Carnival for the U/19s when he was still eligible for U/17s.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dont remember tbh as all the hype in the lead up to the series was over who would get the spot out of Watson, Symonds and Clarke...Bizare that Hodge wasnt in the running (in the media's opinion :blink: )
But the injury which prevented him from taking Martyn's place in Perth was only a very minor, short-term one, so I suspect he had been available for Brisbane.
So we reckon, probably, that Clarke would have taken Martyn's place when he retired, but obviously hopefully Hodge would be ahead of Symonds right now had Symonds not played last summer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interviewed a lot of openers lately then Richard?
I've read a fair few books.
I am an opening batsman, funnily enough. I do have a preference; I like to face first. However, I really do not care much at all; it's not something that would effect my game at all, nor is it anything that ever gets thought about for longer than a second. In fact, I've been in situations where I'm unaware of which end the opposition is opening from and just picked an end. I've spoken to a lot of openers at this supposedly crucial moment as well and none have them have ever had a preference they seemed adamant about.
Look, it's unlikely anyone's going to refuse to play if they don't get the one\two position. But as I say - some do have strong preferences. The only people I've heard of who show no preference at all are Marcus Trescothick and Ian Ward.

Graham Gooch, for instance, always, always wanted to face first, and never failed to do so. This makes it all the more mystifying that he was ever happy to bat down the order.

Michael Atherton preferred to face first, but kowtowed to the likes of Gooch and Mark Butcher who had a very strong preference for doing so.

Nick Knight earlier on in his career preferred facing first, but later on changed his mind.

Alec Stewart, Alastair Brown and Michael Vaughan all absolutely hate facing first, and will do anything to avoid doing so.

Either way - it's not a massive issue, but nor is it one that it matters whether or not I insert a disclaimer in.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I am an opening batsman, funnily enough. I do have a preference; I like to face first. However, I really do not care much at all; it's not something that would effect my game at all, nor is it anything that ever gets thought about for longer than a second. In fact, I've been in situations where I'm unaware of which end the opposition is opening from and just picked an end. I've spoken to a lot of openers at this supposedly crucial moment as well and none have them have ever had a preference they seemed adamant about..
I'm an opening batsman so far this season (as I'm playing lower grades because I cant bowl due to injury), and I have a definate preference for not facing first delivery, can probably be put down to the fact I'm used to batting number 9 or 10 but I find it reassuring to watch a delivery or two from the other end, and I know Langer always wanted first ball. It is an irrelevant minor detail lol but plenty do have preferences.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I opened once. Didn't take strike first though, wanted to see what the ball was doing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was same in the days when I was an opener TBH. (:-O) But I both faced first and did not.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Having a strong preference for not wanting to face first hints at mental weakness for mine.
Well I can't really comment on what it's like at Test level, but the game I played it was obvious I wasn't at the same level as the other batsman, so I thought if I was able to see what the ball was doing a little bit I might be able to calm myself down. Scored 6. :cool:

howardj

International Coach
As raised in the newspaper this morning, it's two minutes to midnight on Adam Gilchrist's career. Great player and contributor to the team he has been, but it's clear that he's been in decline for quite some time. Granted, he still bangs out the occassional stellar innings, but the fact is that he averages under 30 since the 2005 Ashes series. In the current series, he is averaging 22.

Put simply, Brad Haddin has been a better batsman for the past couple of years. Moreover, Haddin needs time to settle into the role before the heavy duty tours of South Africa and England next year. Does anyone seriously think Gilchrist will make it to England and do well against the swinging ball when he's 37 and a half years of age?

It's always sad when a great player goes, but the team has to come first. People must take a dispassionate view of matters retirement, and place great store on current form and career trends. For Gilchrist, that means that it's time to go - it's the right time to go.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Always felt Gilchrist should have gone at the end of 2006\07, done the same as McGrath did. Would have been perfect - a last hurrah, he'd been on the decline since 2003\04, but that would have been the perfect way to finish.

Now, though, he deserves 100 caps and it'd seem wrong to deny him it. Let's hope the Pakistan tour doesn't get cancelled, else he'll be stuck on 99 if he plays the upcoming Adelaide Test and 3 in WI.

Mind, he has played Bangladesh 4 times and Zimbabwe 2, so it wouldn't bother me. But I doubt he'd be terribly pleased with that. And if he had to go for yet another home summer, that'd be counter-productive for everyone.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Even if the Pakistan tour is canned, we play a couple of Test against the Bangers in the winter in the north of Australia. Gilchrist could notch his century of matches there and then exit the stage.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: I see.

Either way, I honestly don't care how many games he plays TBH, but I can't see his playing any more doing anything other than tainting his legacy further still (though that's already happened for a long while now) and damaging Australia's prospects.

Haddin seems clearly to be the premier gloveman-batsman in Australian long-form cricket currently. And who knows, maybe short form before too long too.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Playing your last test against Bangladesh? Not exactly going out on a high, is it?

So, either finish against India in the next test, or wait until next Ashes series i.m.o.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mark Waugh's last test was played in Sharjah iirc, in front of about 3 men and a dog. Wasn't a great farewell.

On opening, I like McCartney approach - fact first ball and try to smash it back at the bowler "They don't like it - it rattles 'em".

burr

State Vice-Captain
^ I'm surprised the selectors didn't roll out the red carpet in Sydney for him, given past history. Gilchrist's best is clearly past him, always thought he should have gone at the end of the WC. Still, when he does go, it will be momentous, on a par with Warney's fond farewell. Who could forget such moments as Jo'burg 2002.