• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who should open ODI for NZ with Astle?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i like sinclair, he is a good player with a decent future ahead of him. I think the selectors should persist with him at the top of the order.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know why 2 people have voted for McCullam, he may be young but he's looked pretty hopeless every time I've seen him play...

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
If sinclair starts moving his feet I think he could do well there. As for McCullam, I think he is too young and inexperienced at the moment. Give him another year playing frst class cricket and he will be much better.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
McCullum is a blazing batsman, he's just not an opener. He smashed the South African U19's to pieces and averaged 150 last year batting at 6.

The only times you would have seen him would have been during the VB Series in the 2 games he played, he'll be back.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Nope didn't see him in the VB series, it was the series against England.:P

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
how about Stephen Fleming?

i'm just curious to know what you think.

Fleming's often called a 'class player' but hasn't been a class performer.
I thought that his timing, and experience would help Kiwis in the top of the order. Maybe it can turn his career in the right direction too..

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
McCullum didn't play against England..you must be thinking of someone else.

As for Fleming, he's a World Class captain but IMO is another player who can bat all-day at first-class level, but is then shown up at intl level. Fleming doesn't help himself..mind you..by walking across his stumps all the time.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
you're right about Vincent then Rik...he has a very poor technique & like players before i.e. Mathew Sinclair is being worked out by many of the Worlds top bowlers.

Just bowl one in the corridor of doubt first ball to Vincent & he'll guide it to slips.

Kimbo

International Debutant
i said matt horne. he opened superbly for auckland last season. he was hammering the ball all over the park. he showed that in an attacking frame of mind he is unstoppable. i think he has grown into a great odi player, he should get a chance.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Horne got a chance in Sharjah & failed once again. He's heading down the path that Craig Spearman took IMO.

Kimbo

International Debutant
ah well... i guess we are screwed... or else...
Fulton!!!
what no. does he bat again???

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Oh please not Horne , not vincent , not flemming , not spearmen , not richardson , not cullum ?!

Who do we have to open ?! with astle

I think we need to keep focusing on the domestic game and give one of the good performing openers from there a chance

Kimbo

International Debutant
fleming.
f-l-e-m-i-n-g
thats one m...
just clearing that up... so many people get it wrong.