• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Partnerships?

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
In wake of the 624 run stand for the sri lankans, this prompted me to asking you to name some other fantastic partnerships.... Discuss

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yousuf & Younis's in the 3rd Test wasn't half bad. Must be one of the best in a losing cause.

Speaking of which, Lee & Kasprowicz in the 2nd Ashes Test last year might not have been the prettiest, but it was certainly one of the gamest last wicket partnerships I've seen. Deserved to win it really, but I'm eternally glad they didn't! :D

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well the top 10 i've seen since watching cricket (97 to now), in no specific order:

1.Laxman/Dravid, Kolkatta 2001
2.Langer/Gilchrist, Hobart 1999
3.Thorpe/White, Lahore 2000
4.Waugh/Blewett, Jo'Burg 1997
5.Slater/Waugh, Rawalpindi 98
6.Laxman/Dravid, Adelaide 2003
7.Thorpe/Flintoff, Christchurch 2002
8.Gilchrist/Martyn, Jo'Burg 2002
9.Hayden/Ponting, Brisbane 2002
10.Smith/Gibbs, Birmingham 2003

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I liked the Tresco/Strauss one at Jo'burg a couple of years back. Think they set an opening record for England v SA or some such, was when Strauss could do absolutely nothing wrong and averaged more than old man Pollock :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The partnership between the Waughs in the 4th test against the West Indies in 1995. Took the score from 3/73 to 4/304 with the series on the line against a fearsome attack.

deeps

International 12th Man
yup the waughs come to mind as mentioned above.

Waugh and Blewitt was also very good. iirc waugh got out for 160 and blewett 210

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Just to be a little different, Martyn/Gillespie Chennai 2004 was a good'un.

Flintoff/Simon Jones at Edgbaston too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Jono said:
Just to be a little different, Martyn/Gillespie Chennai 2004 was a good'un.

Flintoff/Simon Jones at Edgbaston too.
It's always great to see a batsman and a tail-ender putting on a good stand for the 10th or 11th wicket. That partnership you mentioned could quite possibly be regarded as the most important of the Ashes.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
GeraintIsMyHero said:
It's always great to see a batsman and a tail-ender putting on a good stand for the 10th or 11th wicket. That partnership you mentioned could quite possibly be regarded as the most important of the Ashes.
Or in the case of Sri Lanka at Lord's, the 18th and 19th wickets...!