15 34.88%
  • Bell & Collingwood

5 11.63%
  • Collingwood & Cook

4 9.30%
  • All Three with 4 Bowlers.

19 44.19%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Ian Bell should be in England's Ashes Team...

U19 12th Man

Why Ian Bell should be in England's Ashes Team...

As this Winter's Ashes series draw nearer England will have to make a selection over who bats where , and more importantly why.

So I am going to make the case for Ian Bell. The Only one of the Bell - Cook - Collingwood triangle to play and major part in an Ashes win (So Far...). So why should a man averaging 17.10 against the aforementioned be involved. A man with war wounds from the last tour.

Well the simple arguement is his international career. He has the tenth highest international test average in the world over the past two years. A length of time spanning his test career from way back when he squared off against the West Indies in his first test. The List of Players: http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/TopTen.asp.

Who would you pick from Bell , Collingwood and Cook.

For Me Cook and Bell.
    Last edited by Bob Bamber; 08-08-2006 at 05:27 PM.

Bell still averages less than Colly when you remove the Bangladesh freebies and I still wouldn't trust Bell to deliver if there's a bit of pressure on him or there's not a load of soft runs to accumulate from one end. Colly's fielding is worth a good 5-10 runs per innings more than the other batsmen anyway - which is usually overlooked.

Anyway I'd have all 3 and hope Bell can continue to flourish in the little bit softer number 6 slot.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quite simply i'd feel more confident having Cook and Bell in the team than Collingwood. Bell has clearly regained his form this summer and Cook has taken his chance well and produced some very useful performances since coming into the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Strictly in terms of technique to succeed in Australia, I'd back Bell ahead of all three. Cook looks very uncertain against legspin, and Collingwood looks like he might struggle against quick, short bowling.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

...because he's made 3 hundreds in 3 Tests?

Bell & Cook.

I would never feel confident with Collingwood in my middle-order, but he is a good guy to have later on when the heat is on. Cook and Bell around Pietersen for me, but Collingwood should probably stay as well, rather than Mahmood/Plunkett/Anderson. I don't see Mahmood, Plunkett or Anderson troubling the Aussies consistently, so Bell, Collingwood and Pietersen need to bowl 20 overs among them to relieve Flintoff, Harmison, Hoggard and Panesar.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Personally I would have all three. Cook, Pieterson, Collingwood and Bell make up a good middle order, all having scored quite heavily during the Sri Lanka and Pakistan series. It does mean that England will go into the Ashes with only four bowlers which in turn means that Bell, Collingwood and Pieterson are going to have to bowl 5-10 overs each to ease the load on the frontline bowlers.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Take all 3, and have Collingwood able to play the Gary Pratt role.

I notice Scaly ignores the Bangladesh games for comparisons but includes the game where Bell stuck his hand up and opened at the last minute because of injuries...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    All of them will be in the touring party : whether they all play obviously depends on which bowlers play. I'd play all three. If Flintoff comes in for Mahmood, then eight of our side have Test wickets to their name, you can trust Colly/Bell to bowl a few mediums here and there, and give KP a bowl if the conditions are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    I`ve picked Cook and Collingwood, and I do so hanging my head in shame. I just really believe Bell will struggle against McGrath, Lee and Warne.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Take all 3, and have Collingwood able to play the Gary Pratt role.

I notice Scaly ignores the Bangladesh games for comparisons but includes the game where Bell stuck his hand up and opened at the last minute because of injuries...
    What's that got to do with anything? Collingwood also had a far tougher series of games in his early England career - the sort of games Bell would have crumbled in, instead of helping ensure a draw as Collingwood was in for (which isn't very good for your batting average) and managed on two occasions. Bell can score as many soft runs as he likes he still hasn't proven he can score runs against Australia. The other two haven't either, but they've scored more runs in pressure situations and haven't a history of being useless in an entire Ashes series.

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    All 3 to play, with 4 bowlers..

IMO Bell has the correct technique, more than Colly or Cook.
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

Manager of South Australia (WCC)

Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

It's a nice problem for England to have.
    Want to play better cricket? Get tips, tricks and practical advice at www.harrowdrive.com

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden
    I`ve picked Cook and Collingwood, and I do so hanging my head in shame. I just really believe Bell will struggle against McGrath, Lee and Warne.
    I do kind of agree, actually. Bell looks to have by far the best technique of the 3, but he does exude a certain diffidence which I suspect would be seized on by the Oz attack. Warne tied him in knots last year & I'm sure will be quick to point that out in the winter.

If we're looking to play a 5 man attack my 3-7 would be:

Cook
    Pietersen
    Collingwood
    Flintoff
    Read
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information