• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dean Jones sacked for racist remark

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dean Jones sacked.

Surprised this didn't have a thread yet. I must admit, my first reaction on reading the news was to laugh, simply because it's such a stupid and typically Dean Jones thing to do, but really he had to be dismissed for it. One would imagine it was an in-joke of sorts with the other commentators, but you can't expect to hold a media position after being heard making such outrageously racist remarks.

He apologised profusely at the airport afterwards:

"Everyone needs to get away from perpetuating the myth, publicly and privately, that beards associated with the Muslim faith are somehow suspicious, and I intend to do exactly that. The irony is that I am great friends with most of the Pakistan team and they are all Muslims.

"I have no end of respect for the Muslim faith - that's why I'm so sorry at making such a stupid comment," he said. "It does not represent who I am, how I think or what I believe. I will be the first person to apologise to Hashim as soon as I get the chance, and I will assure him that prejudice against anybody, on any basis, is unacceptable and not something I will ever condone."

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No real surprise considering what I've heard about Dean Jones and his behaviour whilst coaching Victorian youth sides. Idiot.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Here is what I posted in the other thread:

I really say a lot of **** to my friends that I wouldn't really want anyone else hearing. Its all in good fun between us, because we know the context, but other people may not understand. I believe him, and in any case, I hope he resumes his commentary.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:
Who would have thought that a room full of microphones would pick it up?
I'd say commentators make a lot of off-the-air comments they don't expect to be heard, to be honest. Don't forget that when there's two guys commentating, that doesn't mean all the others are completely out of earshot, they could be chatting in the background or anything, and the on-air guys would chat in ad-breaks and such. But really, you should be more careful than that...

Does anyone know if he was actually commentating at the time? Like, did he just pull the mic away from his face and say it, or was he just in the room and got overheard?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
I really say a lot of **** to my friends that I wouldn't really want anyone else hearing. Its all in good fun between us, because we know the context, but other people may not understand. I believe him, and in any case, I hope he resumes his commentary.
That's why you are not commentating on the game. Deano's comments is a very serious one and it represents his typical disregard and ignorance.

It's good that he's gone. He deserves that.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hey, Jones could have been tanked too, you never know. :p

Speaking of other morons, he's certainly joined a fine list of individuals who have been fired from commentating for racism. Does anyone else remember when Rush Limbaugh (right-wing radio talkback host in the US, for those who don't know) got a job commentating on the NFL? He promptly got fired a week later for implying that a young black player who was being hyped as a new star was being talked up only because he was black.

I've heard about some past controversy over Tony Greig referring to the West Indians as "darkies" or something as well, but obviously he survived it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Daft, but not in Mr Gibson's league. Or Fat Ron's for that matter & he's back on telly in that "Excuse my French" gubbins.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
FaaipDeOiad said:

Speaking of other morons, he's certainly joined a fine list of individuals who have been fired from commentating for racism. Does anyone else remember when Rush Limbaugh (right-wing radio talkback host in the US, for those who don't know) got a job commentating on the NFL? He promptly got fired a week later for implying that a young black player who was being hyped as a new star was being talked up only because he was black.

I've heard about some past controversy over Tony Greig referring to the West Indians as "darkies" or something as well, but obviously he survived it.

I'm from Philadelphia and I am an avid Eagles fan. I remember that comment ;). But that was on the air, and he meant it (it wasn't a joke).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:
That's why you are not commentating on the game. Deano's comments is a very serious one and it represents his typical disregard and ignorance.

It's good that he's gone. He deserves that.

I'm not commenting on the game because I talk with my friends in a manner which would be unsuitable for international television?

Fusion

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:

Yeah and to this day Limbaugh takes shots at McNabb (subtle at times, others not) whenever he has a bad game on his radio show.

pasag

RTDAS
BoyBrumby said:
Daft, but not in Mr Gibson's league. Or Fat Ron's for that matter & he's back on telly in that "Excuse my French" gubbins.
Actually, now that I think about it both cases are very similar. Both said one of the worst things possible about each peoples, both obvioulsy never expecting the public to hear about it and when it did they both started apologizing profusely .

If this becomes big in the media down here, which it probably will, you can expect a 'one on one' meeting with leaders of the Muslim community etc etc. Its becoming a predictable path.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
I'm from Philadelphia and I am an avid Eagles fan. I remember that comment ;). But that was on the air, and he meant it (it wasn't a joke).
No that was on the TV, on ESPN's Sunday countdown show. And yes he did mean every word of it. Mcnabb is over rated though. Only If Rush could say it without mentioning the word 'Black' and instead used the terms like Media has been very desirous to have quarterback from syracuse do well'. ;)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
I'm not commenting on the game because I talk with my friends in a manner which would be unsuitable for international television?
May be.:p