Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dean Jones sacked for racist remark

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar

Dean Jones sacked for racist remark

Dean Jones sacked.

Surprised this didn't have a thread yet. I must admit, my first reaction on reading the news was to laugh, simply because it's such a stupid and typically Dean Jones thing to do, but really he had to be dismissed for it. One would imagine it was an in-joke of sorts with the other commentators, but you can't expect to hold a media position after being heard making such outrageously racist remarks.

He apologised profusely at the airport afterwards:

"Everyone needs to get away from perpetuating the myth, publicly and privately, that beards associated with the Muslim faith are somehow suspicious, and I intend to do exactly that. The irony is that I am great friends with most of the Pakistan team and they are all Muslims.

"I have no end of respect for the Muslim faith - that's why I'm so sorry at making such a stupid comment," he said. "It does not represent who I am, how I think or what I believe. I will be the first person to apologise to Hashim as soon as I get the chance, and I will assure him that prejudice against anybody, on any basis, is unacceptable and not something I will ever condone."
    Last edited by FaaipDeOiad; 07-08-2006 at 01:12 PM.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

I can't get the link to work?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

No real surprise considering what I've heard about Dean Jones and his behaviour whilst coaching Victorian youth sides. Idiot.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Who would have thought that a room full of microphones would pick it up?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Here is what I posted in the other thread:

I really say a lot of **** to my friends that I wouldn't really want anyone else hearing. Its all in good fun between us, because we know the context, but other people may not understand. I believe him, and in any case, I hope he resumes his commentary.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

http://www.cricketweb.net/article.ph...ewsIDAuto=2213

Issue being discussed in the Sri Lanka South Africa thread also.

Link fixed.

What an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    There was discussion of it here:
    http://forum.cricketweb.net/showpost...&postcount=479

Edit: Too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag
    Who would have thought that a room full of microphones would pick it up?
    I'd say commentators make a lot of off-the-air comments they don't expect to be heard, to be honest. Don't forget that when there's two guys commentating, that doesn't mean all the others are completely out of earshot, they could be chatting in the background or anything, and the on-air guys would chat in ad-breaks and such. But really, you should be more careful than that...

Does anyone know if he was actually commentating at the time? Like, did he just pull the mic away from his face and say it, or was he just in the room and got overheard?

Joins Mel Gibson as the moron of the month. At least Gibson had some sort of excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    I really say a lot of **** to my friends that I wouldn't really want anyone else hearing. Its all in good fun between us, because we know the context, but other people may not understand. I believe him, and in any case, I hope he resumes his commentary.
    That's why you are not commentating on the game. Deano's comments is a very serious one and it represents his typical disregard and ignorance.

It's good that he's gone. He deserves that.

Hey, Jones could have been tanked too, you never know.

Speaking of other morons, he's certainly joined a fine list of individuals who have been fired from commentating for racism. Does anyone else remember when Rush Limbaugh (right-wing radio talkback host in the US, for those who don't know) got a job commentating on the NFL? He promptly got fired a week later for implying that a young black player who was being hyped as a new star was being talked up only because he was black.

I've heard about some past controversy over Tony Greig referring to the West Indians as "darkies" or something as well, but obviously he survived it.

Daft, but not in Mr Gibson's league. Or Fat Ron's for that matter & he's back on telly in that "Excuse my French" gubbins.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Hey, Jones could have been tanked too, you never know.

Speaking of other morons, he's certainly joined a fine list of individuals who have been fired from commentating for racism. Does anyone else remember when Rush Limbaugh (right-wing radio talkback host in the US, for those who don't know) got a job commentating on the NFL? He promptly got fired a week later for implying that a young black player who was being hyped as a new star was being talked up only because he was black.

I've heard about some past controversy over Tony Greig referring to the West Indians as "darkies" or something as well, but obviously he survived it.

I'm from Philadelphia and I am an avid Eagles fan. I remember that comment . But that was on the air, and he meant it (it wasn't a joke).

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information