• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dean Jones sacked for racist remark

Swervy

International Captain
Goughy said:
Both are decent QBs and both are overrated, whether it is because they are black I don't know. There certainly may be a grain of truth in the matter as by far the most overrated QB in the game at the moment is Vick. Their back-ups have always put up decent numbers when they have been out especially Frerotte when Daunte was out injured a couple of seasons ago.

Whether Rush was right, I can't say, but he only said what a lot of more knowledgable NFL people were thinking.
Vick is undoubedtly overrated, however he is also in the top 3 most dangerous QBs in the league I think, but only because of his running abilities.

The thing is, most QBs who are great runners tend to be black (McNabb, Vick, Culpepper, and back further with Cunningham)....who are the great scramblers who are white in the NFL, off the top of my head i cant think of any. (Elway from years ago springs to mind,and before then Fran Tarkenton)...now Vick doesnt put up great passing stats, but by cricky he wins a lot of games, and that is with a fairly moderatly talented falcons team.

McNabbs problem has traditionally been the big game though...he is a bit of a choker (quite literally in the SB a couple of seasons back:laugh: ), but he is still probably top 6 in the league, below DC above Vick who just cant throw the ball good enough)

yeah Frerotte did have a good few games, but still, I doubt he could have kept that up over the year

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seems to me the usual politically correct sloblock of someone getting fired for a stupid throwaway comment that almost any average person will make from time to time. He should apologise for it and that should be it - but no in this moronic PC culture making a silly error like that is far worse than someone being a complete tosser, incompetent or any number of other things. This sort of penalty stirs up far more bad blood than a daft remark that someone apologises for later on.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Swervy said:
Vick is undoubedtly overrated, however he is also in the top 3 most dangerous QBs in the league I think, but only because of his running abilities.

The thing is, most QBs who are great runners tend to be black (McNabb, Vick, Culpepper, and back further with Cunningham)....who are the great scramblers who are white in the NFL, off the top of my head i cant think of any. (Elway from years ago springs to mind,and before then Fran Tarkenton)...now Vick doesnt put up great passing stats, but by cricky he wins a lot of games, and that is with a fairly moderatly talented falcons team.

McNabbs problem has traditionally been the big game though...he is a bit of a choker (quite literally in the SB a couple of seasons back:laugh: ), but he is still probably top 6 in the league, below DC above Vick who just cant throw the ball good enough)

yeah Frerotte did have a good few games, but still, I doubt he could have kept that up over the year

Lolzors? Manning is the biggest choker in the history of any sport, in any country, ever. And the reason Eagles have lost in the playoffs is because of a lack of running game, and having no recievers. As for McNabb throwing up, it is very humid in jacksonville, and if you remember, in 2002 when they played in jacksonville in a regular game, he also threw up at the end (along with four other players). Its the heat and humidity.

And Vick is a terrible quaterback. He will never win in the playoffs because the defenses there have speed. He is great at making highlights against slow defenses, but watch him against a top 10 defense. You shut down his running lanes, and he ends up with figures of 110 yards and three interceptions.

He is terrible.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In 2004, McNabb played very well in the Superbowl. The problem was that everytime the Eagles' offense would score, the defense did its best to impersonate Madonna and open its legs to let the other team score.

Swervy

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Lolzors? Manning is the biggest choker in the history of any sport, in any country, ever. And the reason Eagles have lost in the playoffs is because of a lack of running game, and having no recievers. As for McNabb throwing up, it is very humid in jacksonville, and if you remember, in 2002 when they played in jacksonville in a regular game, he also threw up at the end (along with four other players). Its the heat and humidity.

And Vick is a terrible quaterback. He will never win in the playoffs because the defenses there have speed. He is great at making highlights against slow defenses, but watch him against a top 10 defense. You shut down his running lanes, and he ends up with figures of 110 yards and three interceptions.

He is terrible.
yeah maybe Manning as well...although he has had to play with no D backing him up.

good excuse for McNabb though there SS:laugh:

Vick actually has shown he can do it in the playoffs (20-7 in Green bay a few years ago!!!)..Vick has burnt some good D's as well as bad

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Seems to me the usual politically correct sloblock of someone getting fired for a stupid throwaway comment that almost any average person will make from time to time. He should apologise for it and that should be it - but no in this moronic PC culture making a silly error like that is far worse than someone being a complete tosser, incompetent or any number of other things. This sort of penalty stirs up far more bad blood than a daft remark that someone apologises for later on.
Easier to be on the other side of the PC and make stupid statements all life long. Idiots like you dont understand that it has nothing to do with being politically correct but making gross generalizations about people's appearences. And if it ever happened to you during work you will run straight to your BOSS to cry about that.

And it's not like Deano has been banned from doing commentry ever again.He is just fired from his work for a slur which he made while he was @ work. It is same for everyone.

Swervy

International Captain
silentstriker said:
In 2004, McNabb played very well in the Superbowl. The problem was that everytime the Eagles' offense would score, the defense did its best to impersonate Madonna and open its legs to let the other team score.
McNabb played OK....TO played very well

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Swervy said:
McNabb played OK....TO played very well

Yea, it wasn't the offense that lost the game. That's what I was trying to say. Pats had one of the best defenses in the league, and our offense did better than most expected against them. Our defense is what let us down.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
The thing is, most QBs who are great runners tend to be black (McNabb, Vick, Culpepper, and back further with Cunningham)....who are the great scramblers who are white in the NFL, off the top of my head i cant think of any. (Elway from years ago springs to mind,and before then Fran Tarkenton)...
Well very few are ever given opporunities in the League. I could start the list with Steve Young (the man Vick modelled is running syle on), Jake 'The Snake' Plummer who has one of the most dangerous naked bootlegs in football and Doug Flutie to name a few. These are off the top of my head. You could also add in the biggest athletic freak in the draft 2 years ago, Matt Jones of the Razorbacks. He was a college QB playing widereciever now. He is a manmountain and lightening quick.

Athletic white QBs have probably faced greater issues than athletic black QBs as they did not fit the NFL prototype or the stereotypes.

A guy like Terry Bradshaw in an early training camp was timed as the fastest player in camp (incredible but true). However, he played as a pocket QB. If he had relied on that physical prowess he would never have been given a job in the league.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Swervy said:
yeah maybe Manning as well...although he has had to play with no D backing him up.

good excuse for McNabb though there SS:laugh:

Vick actually has shown he can do it in the playoffs (20-7 in Green bay a few years ago!!!)..Vick has burnt some good D's as well as bad

Very rarely. And Green Bay had a terrible defense. Not 'OK' or 'average', but truly horrible. And the very next game, he got owned by a decent Eagles defense.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
Well very few are ever given opporunities in the League. I could start the list with Steve Young (the man Vick modelled is running syle on), Jake 'The Snake' Plummer who has one of the most dangerous naked bootlegs in football and Doug Flutie to name a few.

Athletic white QBs have probably faced greater issues than athletic black QBs as they did not fit the NFL prototype or the stereotypes.

I guy like Terry Bradshaw in an early training camp was timed as the fastest player in camp (incredible but true). However, he played as a pocket QB. If he had relied on that physical prowess he would never have been given a job in the league.

Plus you can't be a runner and win the super bowl. Steve Young was a runner, but people forget that he was also one of the most accurate QB's in the league (he had a season rating of 112 QB points one year, which was a record).

Fact is, you have to be able to throw the ball to win a superbowl, unless you are a part of one of the all time great defense (in which case even QB's like Brad Johnson can win a superbowl).

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Fact is, you have to be able to throw the ball to win a superbowl, unless you are a part of one of the all time great defense (in which case even QB's like Brad Johnson can win a superbowl).
Well, we had neither and we still won the SB in Detroit ;)

Btw - Did you know that TO made Garcia like Steve Young when he was with 49ers.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Or a facilitator like Trent Dilfer. Doug Williams was black and won a superbowl but did it in the pocket.

I agree with you 100%. To win championships you need to pass in the pocket and manage the game, something Young did as well as having legs.

Apologies to Cricket Chat for this getting way off topic, I beg forgiveness :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:

Yes, I did. But McNabb put up nice numbers Pre-TO as well. And Garcia did well when TO wasn't elite either. TO is an awesome player, no one is doubting that though.

Fusion

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
Yes, I did. But McNabb put up nice numbers Pre-TO as well. And Garcia did well when TO wasn't elite either. TO is an awesome player, no one is doubting that though.
TO to help the Cowboys win the Super Bowl! :ph34r:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:

Pittsburgh had a good defense, and a good pasing game. In the playoffs, Ben Roethlisberger threw the ball much more than the regular season. I am sure it didn't get past you. And Roethlisberger is not a bad QB, by any means. So you can't compare him to Dilfer and Johnson.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Fusion said:
TO to help the Cowboys win the Super Bowl! :ph34r:

If he makes Drew 'Statues move faster than than I do' Bledsoe into a superbowl winning quaterback, I will consider T.O a God.

Fusion

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
If he makes Drew 'Statues move faster than than I do' Bledsoe into a superbowl winning quaterback, I will consider T.O a God.
He doesn't have to move fast with TO running down the field open. He just has to gun it to him, which he is well capable of doing.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Fusion said:
He doesn't have to move fast with TO running down the field open. He just has to gun it to him, which he is well capable of doing.

He better get that ball out of his hands in 2 seconds then, because thats how long it will be before a DL is in his face. Its not like he can take a step to the side to avoid the rush. He will look the DL straight in the face with wide open eyes, and then fall down.