• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dean Jones sacked for racist remark

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
No that was on the TV, on ESPN's Sunday countdown show. And yes he did mean every word of it. Mcnabb is over rated though. Only If Rush could say it without mentioning the word 'Black' and instead used the terms like Media has been very desirous to have quarterback from syracuse do well'. ;)
McNabb is still a pretty damned good QB..

not as good as Daunte Cul.....ooops...Brad Johnson...hehehehe

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:
No that was on the TV, on ESPN's Sunday countdown show. And yes he did mean every word of it. Mcnabb is over rated though. Only If Rush could say it without mentioning the word 'Black' and instead used the terms like Media has been very desirous to have quarterback from syracuse do well'. ;)

Yes, I meant on air on TV. And no, McNabb is completely not overrated. He went to the probowls and had a great offense in 2004 with wideouts named Tood Pinkston and James Thrash. Last year, without TO, he had Greg Lewis and Reggie Brown. James Thrash is not fit to play in the NFL, let alone be a starting reciever. To have more than 30 touchdowns and less than 10 interceptions is nothing short of absolutely astounding, as soon as he had a legitimate player around him.

And the one year he did have legitimate reciever, he went to the superbowl. Ironically, in the same year Limbaugh critisized McNabb, he had his best year by far (counting the second half of the season).

He is easily the fourth best QB playing (Brady, Manning, Palmer, then McNabb). And Palmer has a blown knee, and we don't know how well he is going to do.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Swervy said:

Daunte 'The interception machine' culpepper? Daunte 'we will be better off without Moss' culpepper? Daunte 'I did not have a lapdance on that boat' Culpepper?

Please. But still, I feel sorry for Minnesota. They lost Moss and Culpepper in successive years. But at least you have coach that knows what he's doing. Its his first head coaching job but he did an excellent job in Philly as an offensive coordinator.

Swervy

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Daunte 'The interception machine' culpepper? Daunte 'we will be better off without Moss' culpepper? Daunte 'I did not have a lapdance on that boat' Culpepper?

Please. But still, I feel sorry for Minnesota. They lost Moss and Culpepper in successive years. But at least you have coach that knows what he's doing. Its his first head coaching job but he did an excellent job in Philly as an offensive coordinator.
erm.... the interception machine?...in fact he has probably been the most accurate passer in the NFL for the last 3 years...(people seem to forget that we are only one season removed from DC having the most productive QB season of all time)...., and that in a vertical offense..as opposed to the dinky dunky West Coast set up everyone seems to use (and I beleive the Vikes will this year). DC had a stinker last year, but a lot of that was due to poor OL play.

Oh and we still had a better record than the Eagles:)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
This is McNabb's quaterback rating in the second half of 2003, once he was no longer injured. And this is with TODD 'I borrowed my legs from a preying mantis' PINKSTON as his main reciever:

Giants: 85
@Atlanta: 104
GB: 79
NY: 132
NO: 111
@Car: 86
Dallas: 105
@Miami: 70
SF: 72
@WAS: 124

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Swervy said:
erm.... the interception machine?...in fact he has probably been the most accurate passer in the NFL for the last 3 years...(people seem to forget that we are only one season removed from DC having the most productive QB season of all time)...., and that in a vertical offense..as opposed to the dinky dunky West Coast set up everyone seems to use (and I beleive the Vikes will this year). DC had a stinker last year, but a lot of that was due to poor OL play.

Oh and we still had a better record than the Eagles:)

Or, was a lot of that due to the departure of Moss?

Swervy

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Or, was a lot of that due to the departure of Moss?

minimal effect I think...you lose a reciever like Moss and you will hurt..it was more the line play, he had no time whatsoever to do anything.

Losing Moss probably had a bigger effect on our running game, in that we had no Moss with who to stretch the field

Swervy

International Captain
silentstriker said:
This is McNabb's quaterback rating in the second half of 2003, once he was no longer injured. And this is with TODD 'I borrowed my legs from a preying mantis' PINKSTON as his main reciever:

Giants: 85
@Atlanta: 104
GB: 79
NY: 132
NO: 111
@Car: 86
Dallas: 105
@Miami: 70
SF: 72
@WAS: 124
2003???? That was ages ago.

hey and if we are talking about meaningless stats elsewhere on this forum (like % top order wickets for McGrath etc), I would like to say that the NFL Passer rating has to be the world of sports most useless statistic...completely contrived, with weighting totally geared towards O's that like to pass the ball for TDs, as opposed to go in the right way ie, on the ground;)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Swervy said:
2003???? That was ages ago.

hey and if we are talking about meaningless stats elsewhere on this forum (like % top order wickets for McGrath etc), I would like to say that the NFL Passer rating has to be the world of sports most useless statistic...completely contrived, with weighting totally geared towards O's that like to pass the ball for TDs, as opposed to go in the right way ie, on the ground;)

2003 was the year that McNabb was slammed for being overrated by both that article and by Limbaugh. His 2004 stats, with TO, speak for themselves. And as for 'go in the right way', teams that pass a lot also have lots of interceptions, which McNabb doesn't have.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:

Both are decent QBs and both are overrated, whether it is because they are black I don't know. There certainly may be a grain of truth in the matter as by far the most overrated QB in the game at the moment is Vick. Their back-ups have always put up decent numbers when they have been out especially Frerotte when Daunte was out injured a couple of seasons ago.

Whether Rush was right, I can't say, but he only said what a lot of more knowledgable NFL people were thinking.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with Goughy, Rush got a lot heat on this due to his reputation as the radio talk show host.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
Both are decent QBs and both are overrated, whether it is because they are black I don't know. There certainly may be a grain of truth in the matter as by far the most overrated QB in the game at the moment is Vick. Their back-ups have always put up decent numbers when they have been out especially Frerotte when Daunte was out injured a couple of seasons ago.

Whether Rush was right, I can't say, but he only said what a lot of more knowledgable NFL people were thinking.

They were only thinking that because Eagles started off 2003 really badly, and McNabb played like crap in the early games...so he became the whipping boy. How many people said that in 2004 when he was putting up record numbers, as soon as he had some talent? And forget 2004, how many people said that at the end of 2003. Two or three games after Rush made an *** of himself, he started putting up amazing numbers, game after game. IN the second half of 2003, the Eagles offense was averaging 28 points a game. I believe that made them the #2 offense in the NFL.

Vick is by far the most overrated player in history, though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
pasag said:
Actually, now that I think about it both cases are very similar. Both said one of the worst things possible about each peoples, both obvioulsy never expecting the public to hear about it and when it did they both started apologizing profusely .

If this becomes big in the media down here, which it probably will, you can expect a 'one on one' meeting with leaders of the Muslim community etc etc. Its becoming a predictable path.
Obviously I'm in no way condoning what Jones said, but he was clearly making a joke, however offensive or ill-informed. I have no doubts that when Gibson said "the jews are responsible for all the wars in the world" (& when he called the female cop "sugar ****" for that matter :p) he was caught up in a moment of drunken sincerity

FRAZ

International Captain
What if only Namibia was a muslim cricket playing country ?
Anyways this is quite harsh to be honest . Dean does not deserve it . Actualy Dean displayed what ever he had inside .
Just let it go thats what I say . I dont think that any one ranted to punish him or so . We are here for the cricket and you know what "The phenomenon of Freedom of speech should be a little more liberal "
Because speaking against some thing wont be doing any thing practicaly but doing it in any certain umpire's way should be dealt with seriously. So it is rubbish to punish Dean . Tell me honestly ,How many here (tell me honestly) agree with me? I guess a lot of em will say that this whole sentence thing is just rubbish .Plain rubbish .Dean just said some thing what he thinks ....