• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dean Jones sacked for racist remark

BoyBrumby

Englishman
archie mac said:
Yes a great writer, I have read that book and written a review of it for CW (just wainting for the proof reader) he does have some harsh things to say about the Aussie habits of sledging in the book. Have you read it?

He is the same age as myself so I imagine he would have experienced similar things while growing up. Would like to make sure those quotes are in context tbh :)
I have, last but one book I read actually. Good read, got thru it in a couple of sittings.

Nishant

International 12th Man
i thought that Dean Jones was a good commentator in the recent past...especially with the sub-continent matches that he commented on. This might not be everyone's opinion...but he was definitely better than some of the english commentators like ian botham who are interested in england and forget that there is another team involved in the clash as well. A commentator may support a certain team but must always give a neutral point of view to its audiences. Dean Jones did this quite well. Unfortunetely, he came up with a really offensive comment...and u can actually imagine him saying something like this!!

Lostman

State Captain
on a side note, the broadcast i watch from is a no commercial one and most of the featues done by the commentators are actually interviews that are prerecorded. Today Tony greig was trying to say that the gmae was abandoned and he had to try this about 3 diff times. At the end he was telling the cameraman to stop trying to make him pull a "jones." I found it really funny, partly made it worthwhile to get up at 5 am to see a wet outfield.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Why slam Dean Jones when security officials all over England will use the same perception as a technique to identify suspicious individuals?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Arjun said:
Why slam Dean Jones when security officials all over England will use the same perception as a technique to identify suspicious individuals?
When nearly all of your domestic terrorists are young males of Asian descent, why go around questioning old grannies and surfer dudes?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Did I just hear Geoff Boycott call Jonathon Agnew on TMS a "lying Arab"? Any confirmation?
but then on a personal front boycott has always been rather a *****, hasn't he?

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
wonder if there will be any fallout as a result, unlikely, but its not much different to what Dean Jones said?
there is a huge difference!!!! What Boycott said is an old figure of speech, yes, based in some racist foundation, but still merely a popular saying from the past that Boycott grew up with and probably didnt even realise he had said.

Dean Jones' comment has the element of pre-planning in someway. He must have thought Amla has the looks of a 'terrorist' or that other people in the commentary box would have thought that and he must have thought that before hand.He did it for comic effect.

There is a massive difference (and by the way I really dont like Boycott, so I am not just sticking up for him for the sake of it)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Actually, it wasn't so long ago (last year) that Frank McLintock (ex-Arsenal captain & seemingly crashingly good bloke) made a very unfortunate remark about a "n-word in the woodpile" when commentating on Football on Sky. He was repremanded, but I think that for people of his & Boycott's generation (he was born in 1939, Boycott a year later) the use of such phrases is a reflex used unthinkingly rather than an indication of a penchant for burning crosses.

I'm no fan of Boycott (he's a chap one admires rather than likes I feel), but he did staunchly defend Wasim & Waqar when our authorities were lining up to throw ball-tampering accusations at them. IIRC, he said something like "they could've bowled England out wi' an orange".

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
Actually, it wasn't so long ago (last year) that Frank McLintock (ex-Arsenal captain & seemingly crashingly good bloke) made a very unfortunate remark about a "n-word in the woodpile" when commentating on Football on Sky. He was repremanded, but I think that for people of his & Boycott's generation (he was born in 1939, Boycott a year later) the use of such phrases is a reflex used unthinkingly rather than an indication of a penchant for burning crosses.
Wasn't that the same thing about Big Ron as well?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:
Wasn't that the same thing about Big Ron as well?
Hardly. Ron was actually using the n-word to describe a person rather than a situation; Frank was using his rather unfortunate expression as a synonym for "fly in the ointment".

There's clear water between the two; hence Frank keeping his job.

Slow Love™

International Captain
SJS said:
An extremely thought provoking article though some may find it provocative without the 'thought' bit going into it.

HIGHLY RECOMENDED READING !
Well, I think it's just another blame the victim anti-PC diatribe, IMO. He suggests that if you grow a long and flowing beard according to religious practice, you should be prepared to be identified as a terrorist. Nair doesn't really have the balls to stand behind what he says anyway, because he cowardly continues to suggest that Jones' infraction was serious enough to be sackable anyway. Either it's an offensive statement and Amla is right to feel wronged, or it isn't.

IMO, though, a more important line to draw (which is similarly anti-PC but isn't as knee-jerk) would be the line between lazy prejudice and actual racism. I don't find pilloring Deano for racism to be very useful, and judging his comment, I find it to be more lazily prejudicial than advocating superiority or hatred. The truth is that most of us are guilty of this in some way or another towards some group of people, and it's far more important that when somebody offends in a spur of the moment comment, as Jones did, that they admit their wrong, apologize sincerely and be more careful in future than to condemn them in the terms some have used for Jones.

Sure, if someone choose to defend such a statement as justifiable (which ironically Nair almost does), the whole thing moves into different territory, and they should be judged in the harshest terms. But I really believe we need to work harder on an understanding of the difference between lazy prejudice and racism, which is (rightly) one of contemporary society's great evils.

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Slow Love™ said:
Well, I think it's just another blame the victim anti-PC diatribe, IMO. He suggests that if you grow a long and flowing beard according to religious practice, you should be prepared to be identified as a terrorist. Nair doesn't really have the balls to stand behind what he says anyway, because he cowardly continues to suggest that Jones' infraction was serious enough to be sackable anyway. Either it's an offensive statement and Amla is right to feel wronged, or it isn't.
Exactly. I actually can't see what's thought-provoking about that article at all. I suspect all that article will do is provide justification for people to generalise and stereotype people who they don't like.