Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foreign Players to take part in Ranji/Duleep trophy ?

School Boy/Girl Captain

Foreign Players to take part in Ranji/Duleep trophy ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cric...ia/5252350.stm

I think this would be a good move to get more interest in the domestic game - provided they can lure the right kind of players.
    Getting the likes of Lara or Hayden would prove very enticing indeed.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Gajanayake
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cric...ia/5252350.stm

I think this would be a good move to get more interest in the domestic game - provided they can lure the right kind of players.
    Getting the likes of Lara or Hayden would prove very enticing indeed.

One possibility is the for English players warming up for the Ashes (e.g Ashley Giles) to play iin the Duleep trophy. The Duleep trophy this year is likely to feature several Indian test players ahead of the tour to South Africa so the competition will be quite high.

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Nice idea, but most of the English players will have just come out of a 5 month domestic season, and would want to rest up before the Ashes. You'd have a better chance with some of the senior players not selected for the Champions trophy or Australia - Hick, Ramprakash, Crawley - and probably Gough.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski
    Nice idea, but most of the English players will have just come out of a 5 month domestic season, and would want to rest up before the Ashes. You'd have a better chance with some of the senior players not selected for the Champions trophy or Australia - Hick, Ramprakash, Crawley - and probably Gough.
    I seriously doubt India would accept blokes like those. I think the BCCI are looking for guys who are quality at international level not has-beens or rejects from another domestic league - guys who would drive up interest in domestic games. The likes of Ramprakash or Crawley turning out for West Zone (if they made the squad) wouldn't achieve that imo - but someone like Hayden or Lara or McGill most definitely would.

I'm not sure how workable the idea is but that definitely seems to be the BCCI thinking.

It doesn't make much sense for India to accept players who are simply honest triers at county level - two years ago an England A team composed of those kinds of players came to INdia and with the exception of Simon Jones and Pietersen, the rest were very poor.

Ramprakash is averaging over 100 in the Championship this year - some 'has-been.' And he wants to get 100 centuries - I should think he'd jump at the chance to play a few matches in India.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski
    Ramprakash is averaging over 100 in the Championship this year - some 'has-been.' And he wants to get 100 centuries - I should think he'd jump at the chance to play a few matches in India.
    And you've completely missed the point - If a guy like Matty Hayden was willing and free to play in the Duleep trophy - who do you think the BCCI will choose - Ramprakash or Hayden ?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Might be a good idea for some of our spinners to get some experience of the subcontinent conditions. I couldn't realistically see Monty being selected for the Champions Trophy, so there's a small window for him there.

Might be quite a crowd-puller too, first Sikh to play for England & all.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Might be a good idea for some of our spinners to get some experience of the subcontinent conditions. I couldn't realistically see Monty being selected for the Champions Trophy, so there's a small window for him there.

Might be quite a crowd-puller too, first Sikh to play for England & all.
    yea thats seems like a pretty good idea.

U19 Captain
    And you've completely missed the point - If a guy like Matty Hayden was willing and free to play in the Duleep trophy - who do you think the BCCI will choose - Ramprakash or Hayden ?

Well I'd much rather watch Ramprakash bat than Hayden that's for sure. But yeah there's no doubt that Hayden would bring in a bigger crowd.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    If a guy like Matty Hayden was willing and free to play in the Duleep trophy
    Then either Cricket Australia will have taken leave of their senses or he'll have retired from Internationals.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Get Cook out there ASAP, with Shane Warne looming.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

I don't think any current England international would be interested in playing. They only have about four weeks off between the end of the English season and the Champions Trophy. I could be wrong, but I'm sure some of these guys have families.

Monty ... hmmm, possible I suppose. He might enjoy it actually. But is he a big enough 'draw?'

Given present English attitudes, I don't see the sense in sending a first string team to the CT. It's not like they care about losing ODI matches anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    Given present English attitudes, I don't see the sense in sending a first string team to the CT. It's not like they care about losing ODI matches anyway.
    Im sure it cannot be as simple as that. They will have contractual obligations in place with the ICC, TV, Sponsors etc that demand the best side is sent. Though with the way things are going that could be anyone.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    Im sure it cannot be as simple as that. They will have contractual obligations in place with the ICC, TV, Sponsors etc that demand the best side is sent. Though with the way things are going that could be anyone.
    People want to see England play ODI cricket? Like... at all?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information