• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AIS tour to Africa.

brockley

International Captain
Month long tour starting mid august includes 8 1 dayers and a 4 dayer.Doran,sullivan,paine and brad drew included in the squad.
3 one dayers against kenya,expect games against south africa A and zimbabwe.

brockley

International Captain
Just from snippets clarence will inform more when know more,like the itinnery and the squad.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
As far as I know, the Kenyan dates for this are:

Aug 29th - Sept 4th - Commonwealth Centre of Excellence tour to Kenya. 3 OD matches vs. Kenya national team.

A real shame they couldn't find time for a 4-day game against us as well, we really need that practice more.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Here we go, a little more info, courtesy of CricInfo:
© Cricinfo said:
Australia Academy set to tour Zimbabwe
Peter English
August 10, 2006

An Australian side will play in Zimbabwe for the first time since the farcical tour of 2004, with the Commonwealth Bank Centre of Excellence squad leaving for a tour of southern Africa on Wednesday. The senior squad's controversial trip to Zimbabwe two years ago began with protests over the country's human rights record - Stuart MacGill refused to go on moral grounds - and descended further into chaos when the Test series was cancelled due to local player disputes.

While the New Zealand government refused to let Zimbabwe tour last December, Australia have maintained their playing commitments since the country was suspended from the Commonwealth in 2002. Zimbabwe officials hope to regain their Test status in 2007 and the national side will host three matches against the Academy in preparation for the World Cup.

The squad will travel with a security guard and Tim Nielsen, the Academy coach who has been to Zimbabwe three times, said pre-tour reports had satisfied any safety concerns. "Politically it's not my place to say, I'm going there to play cricket under the ICC set-up," Nielsen said. "The only reason we wouldn't tour was if there was a safety issue. We're going there to play good cricket against their national teams as part of the ICC family. As long as we're safe and secure we're happy to help out."

When asked whether he had any worries over touring, the well-travelled fast bowler Brett Dorey said "not really". "I just want to go and play cricket," he said. "Shaun Marsh is one of my mates and his dad Geoff was a former coach of Zimbabwe. Apparently it's a beautiful country and it will be good to see it and play cricket against their national team."

The four-week tour begins in South Africa, where the squad will play a four-day game and two one-day matches against the host's academy, and will also include three limited-overs contests against Zimbabwe and Kenya. "You can't get a better opportunity for young players than to play against international teams," Nielsen said. "If these guys go on to play international cricket there in the future, it won't be the first time they've been there, so it's a positive."

Peter Siddle, Doug Bollinger and Beau Casson were ruled out of the tour by injury and the bowlers Brendan Drew and Grant Sullivan were added to the 14-man squad. However, the outfit is still a strong one with Dorey, Marsh, Cullen Bailey and Ben Hilfenhaus gaining Australia A experience in last month's Top End Series.

Squad Cullen Bailey (SA), George Bailey (Tas), Adam Crosthwaite (Vic, wk), Daniel Doran (Qld), Brett Dorey (WA), Brendan Drew (Tas), Ben Edmonson (WA), Callum Ferguson (SA), Aaron Finch (Vic), Ben Hilfenhaus (Tas), Shaun Marsh (WA), Tim Paine (Tas, wk), Grant Sullivan (Qld), Adam Voges (WA). Tim Nielsen (coach), Brian McFadyen (assistant coach), Kevin Sims (physiotherapist).

Peter English is the Australasian editor of Cricinfo

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Unless I missed it, it does not say when and where they are playing in South Africa.

Anyone know?

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
Unless I missed it, it does not say when and where they are playing in South Africa.

Anyone know?
I guess Ill answer my own question? :) First game is tomorrow at TUKS (University of Pretoria) and the High Performance Centre.

I popped down there today to see if anyone was netting as I fancied a bowl and I ended up joining a couple of guys from the SA Academy that were preparing for tomorrows game.

I had a good bat and bowl with them and they seemed good cricketers (they are all FC players from their respective franchises).

The Aussie squad seems pretty strong, but the SA Academy guys were telling me they had just beat the Zim 1st Team 2-1 in a 3 match series.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Goughy said:
I guess Ill answer my own question? :) First game is tomorrow at TUKS (University of Pretoria) and the High Performance Centre.

I popped down there today to see is anyone was netting as I fancied a bowl and I ended up joining a couple of guys from the SA Academy that were preparing for tomorrows game.

I had a good bat and bowl with them and they seemed good cricketers (they are all FC players from their respective franchises).

The Aussie squad seems pretty strong, but the SA Academy guys were telling me they had just beat the Zim 1st Team 2-1 in a 3 match series.
Cool, are you in any way involved with the setup at TUKS? I start at Rhodes next year and am looking forward to travelling up to Pretoria to get a royal whooping from you guys..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Cool, are you in any way involved with the setup at TUKS? I start at Rhodes next year and am looking forward to travelling up to Pretoria to get a royal whooping from you guys..
No, Im nothing to do with it. Its just close to my house and has very good free facilities where you can find a decent number of very good cricketers you can work with.

Most of the time, if you just turn up at random at cricket nets the standard is pretty poor but at TUKS you find quality players that makes a practice worthwhile as opposed to effectively bullying lower quality players during a net that really doesnt help anyone.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Goughy said:
No, Im nothing to do with it. Its just close to my house and has very good free facilities where you can find a decent number of very good cricketers you can work with.

Most of the time, if you just turn up at random at cricket nets the standard is pretty poor but at TUKS you find quality players that makes a practice worthwhile as opposed to effectively bullying lower quality players during a net that really doesnt help anyone.
Cool, sounds good, and it is such a top class facility as well.. I went through the application process at Tuks, but had a load of problems with obtaining certain forms, so decided to go to Grahamstown instead which is more familiar to me anyway..