• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best players never to appear in county cricket

stumpski

International Captain
Having just arrived here I don't know if this has been done before, but I wonder if we can come up with a team between us. I'm only going from 1968 when the restrictions on overseas players joining counties were lifted (so, no Bradman, etc).

Adam Gilchrist and Graeme Pollock would be shoe-ins I guess, but who else would you have?

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Lillee & Abdul Qadir spring immediately to mind. Ian Chappell & Rod Marsh.
I don't think Gavaskar ever played in the CC either. Or Jeff Dujon if you don't fancy Marsh.

I'll give it some more thought.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
wpdavid said:
I don't think Gavaskar ever played in the CC either. Or Jeff Dujon if you don't fancy Marsh.

I could've sworn Lillee played for Northants & cricinfo agrees with me.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I could've sworn Lillee played for Northants & cricinfo agrees with me.
I wouldn't dream of arguing with either of you!

How about Kapil Dev? Maybe Len Pascoe & Rodney Hogg could make up the pace department. I can't remember who Ambrose played for, but I'm petty sure he's appeared in the CC at some stage.

Other possibles include Mark Taylor, Viswanath & Chandrasekah.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
I wouldn't dream of arguing with either of you!

How about Kapil Dev? Maybe Len Pascoe & Rodney Hogg could make up the pace department. I can't remember who Ambrose played for, but I'm petty sure he's appeared in the CC at some stage.

Other possibles include Mark Taylor, Viswanath & Chandrasekah.
Kapil Dev played for the same county as Ambrose, Northamptonshire.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
That's Right ! At Kent he met Coach John Wright for the first time. I dont know how I missed that.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Here's a possible XI then.

Gavaskar
Taylor
I. Chappell
G. Pollock
Inzi
Jayawardene
Gilchrist
Qadir
Max Walker
P.Pollock
Rodney Hogg

EDIT
Looks like Gavaskar isn't available. OK. Try Roy Fredericks.

Last edited:

atichon

School Boy/Girl Captain
wpdavid said:

Gavskar played for Somerset in 79 or 80

stumpski

International Captain
Yes, he played in 1980 when Viv Richards was touring with West Indies. Doug Walters and Brett Lee also come to mind.

Fredericks played for Glamorgan. And Ian Chappell for Lancashire - apparently! I don't remember that, must have been in the 60s.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
stumpski said:
Yes, he played in 1980 when Viv Richards was touring with West Indies. Doug Walters and Brett Lee also come to mind.

Fredericks played for Glamorgan. And Ian Chappell for Lancashire - apparently! I don't remember that, must have been in the 60s.
Must have been. I'd have been aware of him from 1972 onwards, anyway.

OK, so we need an opener and a number 3. Keith Stackpole maybe? Or the guy who opened for Aus from about 1986 to 1991 - Marsh??? Who was the Indian who always scored 100's at Lord's - Vengsarkar? Did he ever play in the CC?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Aesthetically speaking, one of finest never to play the county game is one VVS Laxman.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
Mohammad Yousuf
Gary Kirsten
Good one (or two even), Mohammad Yousuf was contracted to play this year at Derbyshire I believe but injury prevented him from playing.

Another one to add is Saeed Anwar (thanks to Superkingdave for rattling my brain), who never played county cricket, played lots of English club cricket mind.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
Must have been. I'd have been aware of him from 1972 onwards, anyway.

OK, so we need an opener and a number 3. Keith Stackpole maybe? Or the guy who opened for Aus from about 1986 to 1991 - Marsh??? Who was the Indian who always scored 100's at Lord's - Vengsarkar? Did he ever play in the CC?
Not in the CC, he played for Staffordshire in the B&H cup in 85