• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best players never to appear in county cricket

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Good one (or two even), Mohammad Yousuf was contracted to play this year at Derbyshire I believe but injury prevented him from playing.

Another one to add is Saeed Anwar, who never played county cricket, played lots of English club cricket mind.
he's still playing for a club about 10 mins from my house, got 54 last week

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
stumpski said:
Yes, he played in 1980 when Viv Richards was touring with West Indies. Doug Walters and Brett Lee also come to mind.

Fredericks played for Glamorgan. And Ian Chappell for Lancashire - apparently! I don't remember that, must have been in the 60s.
Played once - June 1963. against Cambridge University, where he made three. Caught behind by Mike Griffith (later Sussex) off Anthony Windows (Gloucs).

EDIT.... I managed a [/UNI] tag instead of a [/URL]. That fence is really taking its toll.

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
Good suggestions, guys. I'm getting a pretty good side now:

Saeed Anwar
Mark Taylor
Dilip Vengsarkar
Mohammad Yousuf
Graeme Pollock
Mahela Jayawardene
Adam Gilchrist
Brett Lee
Abdul Qadir
Craig McDermott
Max Walker

Bit top-heavy with batting perhaps, would be better if one of that top 6 was an all-rounder.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
stumpski said:
Graeme Pollock
That's quite amazing actually. 27 years of cricket and he never went to England. What was the reason for that?

As far as all-rounders go, Mudassar Nazar is a decent candidate (though he played Lancashire League cricket for 11 years and also turned out for Cheshire and the Minor Counties in the NatWest Trophy)

stumpski

International Captain
I heard him interviewed on Test Match Special once; he said he had opportunities to play county cricket but it never came about. I think it was business commitments that kept him in South Africa. After all in the 70s overseas players were expected to play the full five months of the season. Looking at some of these names it's hard to believe some of them weren't snapped up by counties, none more so than Qadir for me. But he played at a time when only one overseas player per county was allowed, and when it was believed that leg-spin couldn't be effective in England.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
stumpski said:
Good suggestions, guys. I'm getting a pretty good side now:

Saeed Anwar
Mark Taylor
Dilip Vengsarkar
Mohammad Yousuf
Graeme Pollock
Mahela Jayawardene
Adam Gilchrist
Brett Lee
Abdul Qadir
Craig McDermott
Max Walker

Bit top-heavy with batting perhaps, would be better if one of that top 6 was an all-rounder.
Put Inzy in !!

stumpski

International Captain
In whose place? He's not an all-rounder anyway, so there are still only four bowlers. If anyone can come up with a better balanced side go ahead.

Craig

World Traveller
It is turning into a case of who hasn't played CC now?

I know Mark Richardson played for Berkshire, does that count?