• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Klusener.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Might be a really obvious reason behind it, but I was wondering why he was dropped from the South African ODI side? Statistically, he seems brilliant, and he`s always doing something in English County Cricket. Was brilliant in the 2003 World Cup as well.

Steulen

International Regular
I believe there were also some ...ahh.. personality issues involved. He did get recalled but did nothing of note and was booted straight out again.

stumpski

International Captain
Less need for him in the side anyway when Justin Kemp's on song. Sad to see a good player in decline, but that's cricket. At least he's had some useful performances in county cricket this season.

oz_fan

International Regular
There is a lot of animosity between Graeme Smith and Klusener. The selectors must have felt it wold hurt the team to have both Klusener and Smith in it so they opted for the Smith as he was captain.

Oli Norwell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Such a pity as the guy oozes talent, his performances in the 99 world cup were astonishing. I saw his 72* in the 20/20 quarters this year, he can still hit a ball!

open365

International Vice-Captain
Judging by his county performances this season (he's top of his sides bowling and batting averages) it seems unthinkable that he isn't playing internetional cricket.

PY

International Coach
I bought a DVD called 'The History Of Cricket' a while back and only just got round to watching it.

It has coverage of the infamous semi in '99 and his hitting before the end was fearsome. That kind of hitting doesn't get lost IMO and he's ripping it up in the CC. Throw in the fact that RSA are rather short of intelligent bowling options at the moment, I wouldn't mind seeing him again.

Then again, he's one of my favourite players so I'm biased. :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd be more in favour of Klusener being recalled to the SA Test side than the ODI side actually. I think he offers a very important option with the ball, and is showing in County Cricket that he can still more than hold his own with the bat.

I remember him cutting his pace and bowling quick offcutters off a medium pacer's run in India a while back. It was quite effective in containment on a dead track. That sort of stuff is needed in the present SA bowling lineup IMO - intelligent bowling (as was said above).

FRAZ

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I'd be more in favour of Klusener being recalled to the SA Test side than the ODI side actually. I think he offers a very important option with the ball, and is showing in County Cricket that he can still more than hold his own with the bat.

I remember him cutting his pace and bowling quick offcutters off a medium pacer's run in India a while back. It was quite effective in containment on a dead track. That sort of stuff is needed in the present SA bowling lineup IMO - intelligent bowling (as was said above).
For goodnwess sake Liam I guess his itsi bitsi bowling barely suited ODIS and you are talking about the tests . Yes I agree that he should come into the side and as a working Allrounder e.g. AbdulRazzaq . I am always in the favour of the batsmen with a heavy bat in the tests . You see that Shahid did perform ok in the tests and so did Sehwag . I am a big fan of Mahendra Sinngh Dhoni and Klusner and I guess Klusener should come back . And mind you the bowler who stress on the areas around the neck all the time during bowling tend to lose some speed later on , Thats what happened to Klussener . Anywyas let us see ... My predictions include Klusenner some way or another !!!
1 Mahendra Singh Dhoni rising to the top of the test batting world
2. Klusenner Coming back and making his mark as a top class usefull lower order batting allrounder (if given chance)
Please Safs for goodness sake bring him back and do not repeat the mistake of the past e.g. Cronje :@

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Klusener is finished as an international OD player.

He may be doing well in England but he is not even close to ODI level anymore.

If you look at what he did last year in SA

OD- 11 games. 0 fiftys and 5 wickets. Batting average was decent due to batting himself around 7 every game and his bowling average was 56 and did not take more than 1 wicket in a game.

His bowling is shot and his batting declining. He has lost a lot of his explosivness.

He is increasingly becoming more suited to FC cricket as he can rely on his experience and skill rather than fast bowling and consistent big hitting.

FRAZ

International Captain
Goughy said:
Klusener is finished as an international OD player.

He may be doing well in England but he is not even close to ODI level anymore.

If you look at what he did last year in SA

OD- 11 games. 0 fiftys and 5 wickets. Batting average was decent due to batting himself around 7 every game and his bowling average was 56 and did not take more than 1 wicket in a game.

His bowling is shot and his batting declining. He has lost a lot of his explosivness.

He is increasingly becoming more suited to FC cricket as he can rely on his experience and skill rather than fast bowling and consistent big hitting.
Well said . I guess ODIs were kinda over for the gentleman . He did not sem fit either . He seemed dull and not up to the level . International cricket now a days is quite competitive . You blink once and Bangladesh is going to win from you . That is how it is . I fully understand that Klussener has talent in him and natural one but his concentration on the game seems to be declining!!!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
You blame Lance Klusener for South Africa choking twice? A tad harsh?
No not at all, just believed he had the talent to do in 2003 what he did in 1999.. which would have helped! Not blaming him for our underperformance though..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
stumpski said:
Less need for him in the side anyway when Justin Kemp's on song. Sad to see a good player in decline, but that's cricket. At least he's had some useful performances in county cricket this season.
Understand your point, and whilst Kemp on song is very very good, Klusener on song blows Kemp away.

I like Kemp, and can understand why the Klusener comparisons arose when he first hit the scene, but it does big Lance a disservice IMO.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Zulu still has one thing over Justin Kemp, he can bowl, how effectively is debatable but Kemp is pretty much finished as an international (part time ever) bowler. Also in pomp Zulu was ten times the cricketer Justin Kemp would dream to be.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
stumpski said:
Kemp and Andrew Hall together add up to a good all-rounder.
Shame they dissipate two places then. Because Pollock can do both men's 'job' just as effectively.