• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good was W.G. Grace?

archie mac

International Coach
Lillian Thomson said:
To get back to the original question, WG Grace is the greatest batsman I ever saw (with the possible exception of Viv Richards) and his bowling was naggingly accurate. At his peak - bearing in mind that he didn't play Test Cricket until his early 30's - he was very agile in the field for such a big man. I was at the infamous game when he refused to walk because the crowd had come to see him. It was charity match and the takings would have been hit hard if he had been out early as the crowd was still gathering. This story has been blown up and insanely exaggerated, it happened only once, it was a charity game which the captains agreed to restart with the dismissal and the few balls that preceded it wiped from the records.
Is it true he lifted his big toe when facing up? :D

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lillian Thomson said:
To get back to the original question, WG Grace is the greatest batsman I ever saw (with the possible exception of Viv Richards) and his bowling was naggingly accurate. At his peak - bearing in mind that he didn't play Test Cricket until his early 30's - he was very agile in the field for such a big man. I was at the infamous game when he refused to walk because the crowd had come to see him. It was charity match and the takings would have been hit hard if he had been out early as the crowd was still gathering. This story has been blown up and insanely exaggerated, it happened only once, it was a charity game which the captains agreed to restart with the dismissal and the few balls that preceded it wiped from the records.
You saw? So you're over 100 years old?

FRAZ

International Captain
If cricket icons can be related to the Entertainement wrestling stars then
if
Inzamam = Andre
Shoaib Akhtar = XXX
SRT = Scotty too hotty
Sir Bradman= Hogan
Then
Sir Grace = Stone Cold Steve Austin for sure

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
benchmark00 said:
Did you go to the Roos-Cats game last week, Archie?
Yes, how sweet it is:D

I had a :( in my eye, but understand that money talks in the AFL these days:@

I may take the kids for a holiday to the GC next year. That is if they can sort out the seating with the NRL

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
If cricket icons can be related to the Entertainement wrestling stars then
if
Inzamam = Andre
Shoaib Akhtar = XXX
SRT = Scotty too hotty
Sir Bradman= Hogan
Then
Sir Grace = Stone Cold Steve Austin for sure
Please do not try and relate the two. Entertainment wrestling is a joke. Cricket is not.

FRAZ

International Captain
Voltman said:
Please do not try and relate the two. Entertainment wrestling is a joke. Cricket is not.
OK Messiah !!! How about you continuously chuking the art of wrist spin in the name of cricket :ph34r: