• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Total Wastes

tooextracool

International Coach
Mark Butcher- probably technically as gifted as any batsman in his world and the ability to score runs all around the wicket.
Asim Kamal- where is he? surely hes a much better bet than faisal iqbal and some of the other clowns who are in the pakistan side at the moment.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
deeps said:
The most wasted SO FAR:

Shahid Afridi

This man oozes talent, yet his mindset is so poor that he can't harness this talent. He's still doing very well, his stats are quite impressive but he can be oh so much better.
Done loads more than Dwayne Smith though. Smith has enormous talent. The way that he can execute massive shots seemingly effortlessly and time the ball with minimal effort is astounding. His bowling is vastly improved, but his batting continues to frustrate to no end.

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
Asim Kamal- where is he? surely hes a much better bet than faisal iqbal and some of the other clowns who are in the pakistan side at the moment.
Last I heard, runs were rather expensive for him in domestic cricket.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Had a pretty decent time of it in the Patrons Trophy, averaged over fifty, only played four games mind but his form in domestic cricket has been pretty good.

One Pakistani player who has not made the most of his talents (for various reasons) is one Hasan Raza. Who scores runs for fun in domestic cricket and usually scores heavily against the touring sides but it has just not worked out for him in the international arena so far.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
On an unrelated topic, what do you think about the prospects of Andrew Richardson and Richard Kelly? I havent seen them play before but ive heard alot about their potential.

tooextracool

International Coach
TT Boy said:
One Pakistani player who has not made the most of his talents (for various reasons) is one Hasan Raza. Who scores runs for fun in domestic cricket and usually scores heavily against the touring sides but it has just not worked out for him in the international arena so far.
Hasan Raza looked completely out of depth the last time we saw him at the international arena, struggling particularly against short pitch bowling that harmison dished out at him on docile wickets.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
Hasan Raza looked completely out of depth the last time we saw him at the international arena, struggling particularly against short pitch bowling that harmison dished out at him on docile wickets.
8-) Still outscored Asim Kamal mind, who was unsurprisingly trapped LBW by Hoggard.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FRAZ said:
Wisdon Cricketers of the year 1976 - Ian Chappell, Peter Lee, Rick McCosker, David Steele, Bob Woolmer
Yes and?

Clearly that suggests that Peter Lee is a far more wasted talent.

tooextracool

International Coach
TT Boy said:
8-) Still outscored Asim Kamal mind, who was unsurprisingly trapped LBW by Hoggard.
yes in a whole 1 innings. Believe it or not 1 innings is not comprehensive enough to suggest that he wasnt capable enough. Raza had about 3 innings and failed miserably in all of them.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Woolmer played Tests, nobody (except possibly his Mum) has heard of Peter Lee.

The only reason you mentioned BW is because of the side he's currently coaching.

FRAZ

International Captain
wpdavid said:
You're good at this, arent you. I still haven't the faintest idea what your earlier comment re. 1981 meant, and I'm none the wiser as to how his performances in 1975 were relevant to the discussion.

Anyway, I'm off on hols tomorrow, so maybe you'll have explained all by the time I'm back.
(not holding my breath though)
What your hols have to do with Woolmer ? . I dont get it ? You are leaving aquestion or something? :blink: :mellow:

FRAZ

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Woolmer played Tests, nobody (except possibly his Mum) has heard of Peter Lee.

The only reason you mentioned BW is because of the side he's currently coaching.
I think you want to say that he is coaching Pakistan right now . So .... Did he do a bad job . Is his knowledge not up to the task or did he let the expectations down Or didn't he deserve to be the Wisden cricketer

Mr Mxyzptlk

FRAZ said:
I think you want to say that he is coaching Pakistan right now . So .... Did he do a bad job . Is his knowledge not up to the task or did he let the expectations down Or didn't he deserve to be the Wisden cricketer
Are you asking questions? :wacko:

Autobahn

State 12th Man
You can't really say Bob Woolmer was a wasted talent really, by signing up for world series cricket and a SA rebel tour he wasted the chance himself by making himself difficult to select and robbed himself of the chance of the england captaincy IMO.

But to be fair he never was much more than a good county batsmen who dined out on his lovely-looking offside strokes and some useful medium pacers.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Run like Inzy said:
Hasn't Saqlain been injured for a long time or somethin? He was dropped for a while but I haven't heard about a comeback even at domestic level after he stopped playing for Surrey. Problem is he needs to come back to Pakistan and play where the selectors can see he still got what it takes. He couldve been up there with Murali and Warne. In ODIs he probably wouldve passed them both.
Pakistan have to be the winners in the most wasted players, you could probably make a whole 2nd XI which couldve been almost as successful as the team of 90s
Saqlain played one dayers for Ireland in the C&G Trophy over here. I only saw him once & he did ok (v Hants, IIRC), but his overall figures were v poor for a player of his quality. He took 4 wickets in 8 games @ 56.75 with an ER of 5.27.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Problem is with Saqlain that he's had major operations on both knees and put on at least a couple of extra pounds.

Saw him during a C&G match and he was just a poor shadow of himself, totally lost his zip.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
Well I wouldn't call Hasan Raza wasted because he has been given so many chances but Asim Kamal has been dropped unfairly. Whatever his domestic performances were he was performing at the international level something none of the following Pakistan youngsters have pulled off efffectively: Hasan Raza, Faisal Iqbal, Misbah ul Haq, Bazid Khan, Salman Butt, Taufeeq Umar, Imran Farhat, Imran Nazir, Naveed Latif, Mohammed Hafeez.
He surely must be a better choice than half of these guys who have been in and out of the team in the last 3-4 years!