• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Total Wastes

Fusion

Global Moderator
FRAZ said:
Absolutely rubbish display of knowledge about Saqlain and partialy right about Mushtaq. Saqi was one of the most succesfull bowlers in the ODI history my friend . You call it success when gentleman's injury was not handled well . And remember he had a problem with the selectors and Javed Miandad .And actually now he has wasted himself by being involved in some personal activities along with Saeed Anwar.
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerOverview_ODI.asp?PlayerID=2032
You should have checked the record of the gentleman and should have written your reply afterwards
Record for fastest wickets milestones in the history

50 Ajit Agarkar
100 Saqlain Mushtaq
150 Saqlain Mushtaq
200 Saqlain Mushtaq
250 Saqlain Mushtaq
Calm down and try to first read what I actually said. I said both Saqi and Mushy had good careers IMO. True they could've been a lot more successful based on their talent, but they were NOT TOTAL WASTE. I would agree that a total waste would be someone like Mohammad Zahid, who due to injuries could not capitalize on a promising career.
Now go back to explaining how Bob Woolmer was a waste of a talent with your superior knowledge of things.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Saqlain was still wasted IMO. He could have been not just more, but so much more! He's always the first that comes to mind when I think of him. I was sure he was going to end his career the best ODI bowler ever.
Going by 'Fraz's' directives, it was 'the management and the media's fault' his knees went?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
Absolutely rubbish display of knowledge about Saqlain and partialy right about Mushtaq. Saqi was one of the most succesfull bowlers in the ODI history my friend . You call it success when gentleman's injury was not handled well . And remember he had a problem with the selectors and Javed Miandad .And actually now he has wasted himself by being involved in some personal activities along with Saeed Anwar.
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerOverview_ODI.asp?PlayerID=2032
You should have checked the record of the gentleman and should have written your reply afterwards
Record for fastest wickets milestones in the history

50 Ajit Agarkar
100 Saqlain Mushtaq
150 Saqlain Mushtaq
200 Saqlain Mushtaq
250 Saqlain Mushtaq
You’re a bit of ********, aren‘t you?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
Read the gentleman's (Woolmer) biography please. He has stated it all there my friend . He shpuld have been given some more time but Alas !! By the way nice to see you !!!
Are you sure that's what he said? Woolmer was actually a fixture in the side for a couple of years, culminating in a couple of tons against the 1977 Australian side. Had he not signed up for Packer, he'd have probably continued to make runs against England's pretty moderate opponents in the late 70's and, imo, would have been the likeliest captain when Brearley initially retired in 1980. As it was, he got himself banned for a couple of years and never really settled back into the side due to the emergence of Gooch, Gower & Gatting. Basically the middle order was more competitive by the early 80's than in the mid 70's, and he just wasn't deemed good enough to hold down a place when he returned.

IIRC he played a couple of tests against the 1980 WI's, and he could argue that he might have been given more, but not many of us thought he was hard done by at the time. He then played in the first 2 tests against Aus in 1981 before making way for Brearley's return. Again, slightly unlucky, but I don't remember thinking he was unduly harshly treated at the time. Then he got himself banned again after going on the 1982 "rebel" tour of SA, and that weas the end of it.

UItimately, I reckon he threw away the chance to captain England by signing up for Packer. His loss and, probably England's too. But it was his own silly fault.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
Now go back to explaining how Bob Woolmer was a waste of a talent with your superior knowledge of things.
Hasn't Bobby had a successful career as cricket coach ?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Trying not to do a joke about Andrew Symonds being wasted, oh I failed:unsure:

Also if we're talking about players who didn't achieve what they should of from their auto-biographies, then I nominate Boycs and Fiery Fred, as they were both apparently the greatest ever.

FRAZ

International Captain
wpdavid said:
He then played in the first 2 tests against Aus in 1981 before making way for Brearley's return. .
You should have said, first 2 Full tests.Not just 2 tests !!!!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Not the total waste though. :p

Shane Watson (Australia's answer to Flintoff)
Bit early for that isn't it? He's still around the international side and in his early 20s.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
Hasn't Saqlain been injured for a long time or somethin? He was dropped for a while but I haven't heard about a comeback even at domestic level after he stopped playing for Surrey. Problem is he needs to come back to Pakistan and play where the selectors can see he still got what it takes. He couldve been up there with Murali and Warne. In ODIs he probably wouldve passed them both.
Pakistan have to be the winners in the most wasted players, you could probably make a whole 2nd XI which couldve been almost as successful as the team of 90s

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
I remember reading a while back now though but Saqlain has been dropped from the team becuase the selectors think that he spends more time on a newspaper column he has then training.

deeps

International 12th Man
Watson won't amount to anything substantial. Middle of the road batsman/poor bowler imo.

Might hit a purple patch somewhere and be ok, but i can't see sustained success.

Murali Kartik has alot of talent, still has a bit of time though hope is slpping away.

The most wasted SO FAR:

Shahid Afridi

This man oozes talent, yet his mindset is so poor that he can't harness this talent. He's still doing very well, his stats are quite impressive but he can be oh so much better.

FRAZ

International Captain
Wisdon Cricketers of the year 1976 - Ian Chappell, Peter Lee, Rick McCosker, David Steele, Bob Woolmer

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
Wisdon Cricketers of the year 1976 - Ian Chappell, Peter Lee, Rick McCosker, David Steele, Bob Woolmer
You're good at this, arent you. I still haven't the faintest idea what your earlier comment re. 1981 meant, and I'm none the wiser as to how his performances in 1975 were relevant to the discussion.

Anyway, I'm off on hols tomorrow, so maybe you'll have explained all by the time I'm back.
(not holding my breath though)