• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wright stirring it up in his book - honest view or just trying to jack up sales?

pskov

International 12th Man
I think he's being pretty honest and letting rip at the selectors. I tend o agree with him actually on most points.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
He's only making light of what has been known for ages in India, regional and political bias. It's a disgrace by the BCCI to refute his claims when they know fully well the real picture.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
He's only making light of what has been known for ages in India, regional and political bias. It's a disgrace by the BCCI to refute his claims when they know fully well the real picture.
yeah, i'm sure he is presenting a correct picture too.......it's just that while he was here, he was content to go with the flow, work with the system, however flawed it was, now that he is out of it, he suddenly decides to turn everyone in?? you have to wonder whether part of the reason is sensationalism and the sale of his book, especially the "tiff" between dravid and tendulkar....what would he get out of bringing out such details other than some cheap publicity for his book?....i don't know, there is some sneakiness to his approach that stinks here....chappell for all his faults is at least speaking his mind and trying to get things his way while he is on the job....

Dravid

International Captain
Okay answer me this question...if he really feels this way...why wait for his book? Why not express his feelings the day after the dec? He's just interested in the money

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
good point, but he couldn't really make these comments while he was under contract with the BCCI. I suppose he wanted to allow some water to flow under the bridge..and what's a book without controversy lol!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think his comments reg. the Sachin declaration at Multan issue are exactly right. There was fault all around, Rahul could have declared earlier, Sachin could have played more positively, or Rahul could have waited just a trifle longer. As Wright pointed out, everyone including Wright himself, were at fault in that thing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
*waits for Sanz to read this thread* ;)

Regarding Wright, meh everyone wants their books to sell. What better way to increase the sales then by mentioning a minor tiff between India's 2nd and 3rd biggest star.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jono said:

Regarding Wright, meh everyone wants their books to sell. What better way to increase the sales then by mentioning a minor tiff between India's 2nd and 3rd biggest star.
I read the article. I'm the biggest defender of Sachin, and I see both sides to this. They should NOT have declared on 194*. Either let him get a double, or declare earlier. If the target was far away, then I would be totally opposed to declaring (for example, I didn't like SL going for Brian Laras' record at the expense of a test..even won a whine award for that...I guess wanting a team to go for a win instead of selfish records = whining)....but 6 runs...that's nothing.

In any case, I see Dravids side too...so I'm kind of torn here.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Jono said:

Pardon my ignorance on India, but if SRT is second (I'm assuming who you mean) and Rahul Dravid being 3rd, who is 1st? Sunil Gavaskar or Kapil Dev? Or somebody else non cricket ie Bollywood?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:

Well I stand corrected on the issue.:sleep: Besides I cant go against JW.

Btw, has anyone ever heard Grenada PM talking ? He was all over in todays Indian newspapers.

Guess what, Indian reporters have recently found out that he is a great fan of Tendulkar. Look forward to hear from the president of Timbuktu telling us all about the greatness of Sachin.

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
Jono said:

Excellent Jono

kvemuri

U19 12th Man
silentstriker said:
I read the article. I'm the biggest defender of Sachin, and I see both sides to this. They should NOT have declared on 194*. Either let him get a double, or declare earlier. If the target was far away, then I would be totally opposed to declaring (for example, I didn't like SL going for Brian Laras' record at the expense of a test..even won a whine award for that...I guess wanting a team to go for a win instead of selfish records = whining)....but 6 runs...that's nothing.

In any case, I see Dravids side too...so I'm kind of torn here.
Well in this case Wright might be saying to sorta put a good face to the whole situation, but in this case (even though i worship GOD ;) ) the ultimate blame has to go on Sachin, first off for a player at that level and with his experience he should've known that the declaration was around the corner and accelerated which he didn't, many ppl said that Dravid should've sent a message to Sachin, well Sachin is the senior most batsman and had been a captain once so the onus falls on him doubly (in this particular case) as he should've gauged the situation, finally he himself made matters worse by bringing that up in the media. Ultimate blame in this case falls with Sachin period, no one else.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Sorry guys, but I couldn't resist, this is pretty funny :D

Wright has numerous amusing tales about his 4-1/4 years as India coach, including his battle to get the Indians interested in fitness.

"They ran at the pace of a tortoise with two hip replacements."

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
James said:
Sorry guys, but I couldn't resist, this is pretty funny :D
yeah wright can be credited with first drilling the concept the fitness into the generally sloth-like indian players....