Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones dropped for Read

Jones dropped for Read

Chris Read will keep wicket for England in the Third test against Pakistan later this week. Apparently Geraint Jones was not overlooked due to his fractured finger, but dropped because of a lack of runs.
    Ironically, that's the exact same reason why Read was dropped for Jones in the Windies two years ago.

Have to say I agree, if you want a keeper/batsman in your side, Jones was just half that after a promising start.

Let's see if read can make those big scores this time round, and how long he'll remain in the side if he doesn't.
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Good to hear. From what I've seen/read, Read deserves another chance, and Jones has hardly done much to convince the selectors of his worth with the bat, while it'd be hard to be worse than Jones with the gloves.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    About time i say.. Geriant was supposed to be gone quite some time ago now. He has improved his Wicketkeeping, but his batting is just abysmal for my likings.. Good move
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

Manager of South Australia (WCC)

Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    Good to hear. From what I've seen/read, Read deserves another chance, and Jones has hardly done much to convince the selectors of his worth with the bat, while it'd be hard to be worse than Jones with the gloves.
    Jones's keeping has been exceptional since The Ashes. Everyone has overlooked that.

Not like Fletcher to change a winning team either. Ah well, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    Well, that's the funny (or not so funny, if Geraint is your hero) thing: Jones' keeping has improved considerably, to the point of being quite good in the last Test. Some weakness remains when standing up to the spinner, but otherwise it was faultless.

Read has always been considered the better keeper but worse batsman, and he now gets his chance because Jones' batting isn't up to scratch.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steulen
    Well, that's the funny (or not so funny, if Geraint is your hero) thing: Jones' keeping has improved considerably, to the point of being quite good in the last Test. Some weakness remains when standing up to the spinner, but otherwise it was faultless.

Read has always been considered the better keeper but worse batsman, and he now gets his chance because Jones' batting isn't up to scratch.
    In other words, the English selectors haven't changed their policy of replacing a good keeper with one who is a better batsman

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh
    In other words, the English selectors haven't changed their policy of replacing a good keeper with one who is a better batsman
    At least he's a better keeper, we'll see about the batting

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero
    Jones's keeping has been exceptional since The Ashes. Everyone has overlooked that.

So in terms of keeping ability, is Read still better, or has Jones improved that much?

I'll be honest - I don't know. I just don't think you can find fault of late mwith geraint's keeping - but, they say he been dropped for a lack of runs, which certainly isn't subjective, it's simple fact.

Alas, the irony is, everyone was calling for Read's inclusion after his purple patch with the bat early in the season, but in the Championship he has failed quite often in recent weeks.

I am surprised by this news I must admit.

Will improve the ODI side immeasurably if nothing else.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 2015.
    Author of Word Addict
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    ECB - you are a complete ****ing disgrace, #FTECB

still scratching around in the same old hole
    When they dropped Read for Jones they announced tht Jones would get a good run of around 10 tests to establish himself.

Any announcement that they will give Read the same amount of time to cement a place and feel like he belongs?

Now he is selected then he must be given a fair run at it.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

I'll be honest - I don't know. I just don't think you can find fault of late mwith geraint's keeping - but, they say he been dropped for a lack of runs, which certainly isn't subjective, it's simple fact.

Alas, the irony is, everyone was calling for Read's inclusion after his purple patch with the bat early in the season, but in the Championship he has failed quite often in recent weeks.

I am surprised by this news I must admit.
    I think Jones was very good keeping to the seamers in the last few Tests, but he still has issues keeping to the spinners. It's a bit too often that a Monty ball surprises him and goes for byes, or a stumping is missed.

Read is an exceptional keeper, I don't think Jones will ever be in his league.

Still don't know if Read can live up to being a Test #7 batsman, though. But it's quite conclusively been shown that Jones isn't one.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    When they dropped Read for Jones they announced tht Jones would get a good run of around 10 tests to establish himself.

Any announcement that they will give Read the same amount of time to cement a place and feel like he belongs?

Now he is selected then he must be given a fair run at it.
    I'd say they would because it's exactly why they took so long to drop Jones. To change a keeper for reasons of form is really quite rare so for such a big step, they'd want to be sure that the incumbent isn't doing the job and that the new guy is at least potentially the long-term option.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    I'd say they would because it's exactly why they took so long to drop Jones. To change a keeper for reasons of form is really quite rare so for such a big step, they'd want to be sure that the incumbent isn't doing the job and that the new guy is at least potentially the long-term option.
    Except that they only play two more Tests against Pakistan before the Ashes, and they won't want to have a keeper in his try-out period come Brisbane. I'm prediciting two Tests for Read, an endless discussion, two keepers on the plane and then a definite choice for either Jones or Read for the duration of the Ashes and beyond.

It has been known, not least when Jones replaced Read in the WI. The other obvious example was Thorpe getting the chop last year.

His keeping's been OK in that we've not seen so many clangers, but there have been a few. Kumble in the 1st Indian test springs immediately to mind, which made a big difference to that particular innings..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information