• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jones dropped for Read

Steulen

International Regular
Chris Read will keep wicket for England in the Third test against Pakistan later this week. Apparently Geraint Jones was not overlooked due to his fractured finger, but dropped because of a lack of runs.
Ironically, that's the exact same reason why Read was dropped for Jones in the Windies two years ago.

Have to say I agree, if you want a keeper/batsman in your side, Jones was just half that after a promising start.

Let's see if read can make those big scores this time round, and how long he'll remain in the side if he doesn't.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to hear. From what I've seen/read, Read deserves another chance, and Jones has hardly done much to convince the selectors of his worth with the bat, while it'd be hard to be worse than Jones with the gloves.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
About time i say.. Geriant was supposed to be gone quite some time ago now. He has improved his Wicketkeeping, but his batting is just abysmal for my likings.. Good move :)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
andyc said:
Good to hear. From what I've seen/read, Read deserves another chance, and Jones has hardly done much to convince the selectors of his worth with the bat, while it'd be hard to be worse than Jones with the gloves.
Jones's keeping has been exceptional since The Ashes. Everyone has overlooked that.

Not like Fletcher to change a winning team either. Ah well, we'll see.

Steulen

International Regular
andyc said:
Well, that's the funny (or not so funny, if Geraint is your hero) thing: Jones' keeping has improved considerably, to the point of being quite good in the last Test. Some weakness remains when standing up to the spinner, but otherwise it was faultless.

Read has always been considered the better keeper but worse batsman, and he now gets his chance because Jones' batting isn't up to scratch.

Hugh

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Steulen said:
Well, that's the funny (or not so funny, if Geraint is your hero) thing: Jones' keeping has improved considerably, to the point of being quite good in the last Test. Some weakness remains when standing up to the spinner, but otherwise it was faultless.

Read has always been considered the better keeper but worse batsman, and he now gets his chance because Jones' batting isn't up to scratch.
In other words, the English selectors haven't changed their policy of replacing a good keeper with one who is a better batsman :p

Steulen

International Regular
Hugh said:
In other words, the English selectors haven't changed their policy of replacing a good keeper with one who is a better batsman :p
At least he's a better keeper, we'll see about the batting ;)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Jones's keeping has been exceptional since The Ashes. Everyone has overlooked that.

So in terms of keeping ability, is Read still better, or has Jones improved that much?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'll be honest - I don't know. I just don't think you can find fault of late mwith geraint's keeping - but, they say he been dropped for a lack of runs, which certainly isn't subjective, it's simple fact.

Alas, the irony is, everyone was calling for Read's inclusion after his purple patch with the bat early in the season, but in the Championship he has failed quite often in recent weeks.

I am surprised by this news I must admit.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
When they dropped Read for Jones they announced tht Jones would get a good run of around 10 tests to establish himself.

Any announcement that they will give Read the same amount of time to cement a place and feel like he belongs?

Now he is selected then he must be given a fair run at it.

Steulen

International Regular
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I'll be honest - I don't know. I just don't think you can find fault of late mwith geraint's keeping - but, they say he been dropped for a lack of runs, which certainly isn't subjective, it's simple fact.

Alas, the irony is, everyone was calling for Read's inclusion after his purple patch with the bat early in the season, but in the Championship he has failed quite often in recent weeks.

I am surprised by this news I must admit.
I think Jones was very good keeping to the seamers in the last few Tests, but he still has issues keeping to the spinners. It's a bit too often that a Monty ball surprises him and goes for byes, or a stumping is missed.

Read is an exceptional keeper, I don't think Jones will ever be in his league.

Still don't know if Read can live up to being a Test #7 batsman, though. But it's quite conclusively been shown that Jones isn't one.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When they dropped Read for Jones they announced tht Jones would get a good run of around 10 tests to establish himself.

Any announcement that they will give Read the same amount of time to cement a place and feel like he belongs?

Now he is selected then he must be given a fair run at it.
I'd say they would because it's exactly why they took so long to drop Jones. To change a keeper for reasons of form is really quite rare so for such a big step, they'd want to be sure that the incumbent isn't doing the job and that the new guy is at least potentially the long-term option.

Steulen

International Regular
Top_Cat said:
I'd say they would because it's exactly why they took so long to drop Jones. To change a keeper for reasons of form is really quite rare so for such a big step, they'd want to be sure that the incumbent isn't doing the job and that the new guy is at least potentially the long-term option.
Except that they only play two more Tests against Pakistan before the Ashes, and they won't want to have a keeper in his try-out period come Brisbane. I'm prediciting two Tests for Read, an endless discussion, two keepers on the plane and then a definite choice for either Jones or Read for the duration of the Ashes and beyond.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:

It has been known, not least when Jones replaced Read in the WI. The other obvious example was Thorpe getting the chop last year.

His keeping's been OK in that we've not seen so many clangers, but there have been a few. Kumble in the 1st Indian test springs immediately to mind, which made a big difference to that particular innings..

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'm not an expert on English keepers, but, how far away would Matt Prior be for a call up? Is he a better at batting or keeping? Innocent question - I haven't been following him at all.

Steulen

International Regular
NZTailender said:
I'm not an expert on English keepers, but, how far away would Matt Prior be for a call up? Is he a better at batting or keeping? Innocent question - I haven't been following him at all.
He was tried and found not good enough, I believe.

Current third choice would be James Foster, probably, and I'm not sure Prior would be next in line after that.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
NZTailender said:
I think Prior is out of the equation. He has a decent profile as he was a member of the ODI squad in the Winter but that was a position he had not earned and should not reclaim.

His batting is decent but needs work.

Maybe Jones has been dropped to give Read a chance. THe selectors then hope he fails in the next 2 tests and bring in Pothas for the Ashes (just after he has qualified).

Therefore they have got rid of the 2 pretenders without any controversy and introduce the man they really wanted.

JUST A THEORY

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
NZTailender said:
He did himself no favours at all when he played a a batsman in the odi's in Pakistan & India during our winter. And apparently his keeping's pretty shoddy too.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
I think Prior is out of the equation. He has a decent profile as he was a member of the ODI squad in the Winter but that was a position he had not earned and should not reclaim.

His batting is decent but needs work.

Maybe Jones has been dropped to give Read a chance. THe selectors then hope he fails in the next 2 tests and bring in Pothas for the Ashes (just after he has qualified).

Therefore they have got rid of the 2 pretenders without any controversy and introduce the man they really wanted.

JUST A THEORY
I would be astonished if you're right about Pothas and personally I wouldn't want to see that. If Read fails badly, they'll just bring back Jones, I reckon.