• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jones dropped for Read

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Mine is that Jones has been dropped through injury, but they are giving Read this chance so that if/when he fails, Geraint can be brought back, and noone can say Read never got a chance. Obviously, I'm an idiot, but the fact that Graveney sounded like he wanted geraint back in the side asap, well it got me thinking, that's all.
Obviously :laugh: but the point you make about the timing of Jones being dropped is not idiotic. I'm sure it is not pure coincidence that Jones was dropped when he was injured. It does look like they are going through the motions to pacify the strong pro-Read lobby by making a choice forced upon them sound like a choice based on merit.

I don't think Jones deserves his place but this is a funny way to go about it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Goughy said:
It does look like they are going through the motions to pacify the strong pro-Read lobby by making a choice forced upon them sound like a choice based on merit..
That's a better way of saying what I was trying to say :D

So I'm not the only one who thinks so. I wonder what will happen if Read scores hundreds but misses catches and stumpings galore

Steulen

International Regular
GeraintIsMyHero said:
That's a better way of saying what I was trying to say :D

So I'm not the only one who thinks so. I wonder what will happen if Read scores hundreds but misses catches and stumpings galore
That's not very likely, is it? Both the hundreds and the galore, that is.

What I at least hope to see is no silly dives in front of slip :).

I'm not buying this particular conspiracy theory. The one I do buy, though, is that this is an uprising by the other selectors against Duncan Fletcher. I'm guessing they're sick and tired of his dictatorship and the current feats of one-dimensional Monty have given them the best weapon against his bits 'n pieces multitasking mantra they could dream of.
So Jones was dropped because Monty bowled brilliantly. You can't beat cold hard logic, eh?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well the "Jones being dropped" statement now has a bit more credence after he batted for Kent v Hants yesterday.

Made 35 before falling LBW to (of all people!) one SK Warne! :p

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
BoyBrumby said:
Well the "Jones being dropped" statement now has a bit more credence after he batted for Kent v Hants yesterday.

Made 35 before falling LBW to (of all people!) one SK Warne! :p
Probably trying to sweep a full toss :laugh:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I've seen bits and pieces of Jones since the Ashes, and I think how much he has to dive tells you a lot about his footwork.