• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Impossible but Try and Imagine

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Imagine if for some impossible and unknown reason all current Test players went on strike or were banned but the ICC insisted that schedules continue and fixtures must be played by teams made up of players uncapped at Test level (ODIs fine).

What would be your countrys XI?

SA Un-Capped XI

Lots of youth combined with the experience of Kent, Watson, Kruger and Benkenstein
List not nec. in batting order

Benkenstein (capt)
Doug Watson
Morne van Wyk (wkt)
Jacobs
JP Duminy
Imraan Khan
Alviro Petersen
Friedel de Wet
Kruger
Jon Kent
Tshabalala

Unlucky miss out- Ryan McLaren, Vaughn van Jaarsveld

England Un-capped XI
This was tough, a combination of my old favs, guys the selectors may want, up and comers and guys in form right now.

Ali Brown
Mike Powell
Sales
Joyce
Newman
Prior
Dalrymple
Chapple
Broad
Lewry
Tremlett

Unlucky miss out- Loudon, Ben Smith, Loye etc in fact far too many to mention. There are so many players available that it makes doing this a very difficult endevour.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
India Uncapped XI
Shikhar Dhawan
Robin Uthappa (wk)
Dinesh Mongia
Venugopal Rao (c)
Suresh Raina
Rohit Sharma
Joginder Sharma
Ramesh Powar
Amit Mishra
Abid Nabi
Shib Paul

Unlucky to miss out ..... Sriram, Badani, JP Yadav, R Jadeja, Gagandeep, Trivedi

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
England Un-capped XI
This was tough, a combination of my old favs, guys the selectors may want, up and comers and guys in form right now.

Ali Brown
Mike Powell
Sales
Joyce
Newman
Prior
Dalrymple
Chapple
Broad
Lewry
Tremlett

Unlucky miss out- Loudon, Ben Smith, Loye etc in fact far too many to mention. There are so many players available that it makes doing this a very difficult endevour.

For me

Carberry
Loye
Yardy
Joyce
Sales
Pothas (if im allowed otherwise someone like Mustard or get Yardy to keep and bring in someone like Bopara)
Chapple
Broad
Smith/Mascarenhas
Tremlett
Keedy

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
India Uncapped XI
Shikhar Dhawan
Robin Uthappa (wk)
Dinesh Mongia
Venugopal Rao (c)
Suresh Raina
Rohit Sharma
Joginder Sharma
Ramesh Powar
Amit Mishra
Abid Nabi
Shib Paul

Unlucky to miss out ..... Sriram, Badani, JP Yadav, R Jadeja, Gagandeep, Trivedi
How strong is it. Does it show a lot of depth? Could it compete against the lower Test nations?

I think the SA team I named would struggle (showing a real lack of depth) but the England team I named would be very competetive.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
How strong is it. Does it show a lot of depth? Could it compete against the lower Test nations?

I think the SA team I named would struggle (showing a real lack of depth) but the England team I named would be very competetive.

It would do OK. Has a class spinner in Powar and some good batting in Mongia, Raina and Rao. Nabi is a good prospect in the fast bowling department...but as usual bowling is where the weakness would lie.

adharcric

International Coach
Goughy said:

Definitely a lot of depth there. Dhawan, Uthappa and R Sharma are India A regulars and talented batsmen. You've probably seen Raina and Rao is even more suited to test cricket. Mongia has a prolific first-class record, that's that. J Sharma is a young all-rounder, Nabi is possibly the quickest paceman in India and Mishra is a genuine leggie ... they all lack A team experience though. Paul is basically McGrath (metronomic accuracy) with 10 kph less of pace and less guile with the variations. Powar is now a one-day regular and has a solid first-class record of late. The main problem with this squad is the unproven nature of a few key players (Mishra, Nabi, Sharma) in the bowling department. It would surely compete.

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Here's an attempt at an Australian Uncapped XI:
Mark Cosgrove
Chris Rogers
Jimmy Maher (c)
Travis Birt
Marcus North
Cameron White
Brad Haddin (k)
Shane Harwood
Brett Dorey
Mitchell Johnson
Ben Hilfenhaus

Tried to do a mix of younger players and veterans who never got their chance. Probably some players out of position there though.

pskov

International 12th Man
For England:

I assumed that this would be the start of a new era and the management wouldn't want to pick old guys who would only be around for another season or two. If we only needed them for one series then I'd have picked guys like Loye, Chapple, Dougie Brown and so on to give some needed expereince.

Newman
Powell (Glam)
Sales*
Joyce
Bopara
Dalrymple
Loudon
Davies+
Broad
Smith
Tremlett

Just missed out: Mascheraneas, Simon Marshall, Yardy

A deep batting line up, Davies is a very good looking batsman and for me should be number 3 in the keeping stakes (only Read and Foster ahead, sorry Prior and Go Jo...). Broad and Smith are also pretty nifty with the bat, Tremlett's not exactly great but he isn't a mug so I think this side could compile good scores against Test attacks. With three very promising pacers backed up by two alright looking spinners and some of Bopara's handy medium pace too if needed the bowling looks pretty decent. I think this team could compete with the West Indies full side and give New Zealand a good go too.

Out of interest, how far away is Trott from qualifying? If he is now then I'd replace him for Sales.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good idea for a thread

I'll have a crack for NZ:

J.Ryder
T.McIntosh
R.Taylor
R.Nicol
J.Yovich *
P.McGlashan +
M.Gillespie
B.Scott
B.Martin
G.Aldridge

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dasa said:
Here's an attempt at an Australian Uncapped XI:
Mark Cosgrove
Chris Rogers
Jimmy Maher (c)
Travis Birt
Marcus North
Cameron White
Brad Haddin (k)
Shane Harwood
Brett Dorey
Mitchell Johnson
Ben Hilfenhaus

Tried to do a mix of younger players and veterans who never got their chance. Probably some players out of position there though.
David Husey would be pushing hard for a spot IMO.

Craig

World Traveller
Based on his county form though?

And wouldn't Jimmy Maher open and Mark Cosgrove would bat at three? And there has to be better spinning options then Cameron White?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
so, basically, we are picking A teams here, right?
You can if you want and for some countries it may be as simple as that. For England it gets far more complicated with a number of worthy senior players demanding selection that would not be picked for an A team anymore.

Im not sure A teams are made up of the best uncapped players (which is what this thread is looking for) as a) they can include capped players and b) they often exclude the older uncapped player and often focus on youth. For example I have 37 yr old Ali Brown in my England team and he is not going to get picked for an A Team anytime soon.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Maher (c)
Di Venuto
Cosgrove
North
Hussey D.
O`Brien
Haddin (wk)
Harvey
Johnson
Bird
Dorey

Rose-tinted glasses. :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
West Indies

S Chattergoon
LMP Simmons
SM Jeffers
DM Richards
TL Lambert/KA Edwards/J Mohammed
R Kelly
DJG Sammy
PA Browne +
R Emrit
SJ Benn
AP Richardson

Great batting depth, but would struggle to post large totals all the same. Not enough big run scorers (as in none) and too many allrounders (as in 3, possibly 4 - Benn). Would probably bowl okay though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
S Chattergoon
LMP Simmons
SM Jeffers
DM Richards
TL Lambert/KA Edwards/J Mohammed
R Kelly
DJG Sammy
PA Browne +
R Emrit
SJ Benn
AP Richardson

Great batting depth, but would struggle to post large totals all the same. Not enough big run scorers (as in none) and too many allrounders (as in 3, possibly 4 - Benn). Would probably bowl okay though.
Get Jonathan C Augustus in there damn it. He has the same first and last name as me, and the same initial for his middle name as mine too. He deserves a test cap :D

Langeveldt

Soutie
SA uncapped

1. A Puttick
2. JP Duminy
3. D Watson
4. D Jacobs
5. D Benkenstein *
6. M van Wyk (wk)
7. T Henderson
8. R Kleinveldt
9. F de Wet