• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You're the umpire

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Team A 200 all out
Team B 200-9.

Spinner on, pitches one a foot outside leg stump, and it carries on down leg side with the batsman unable to hit it but toppling over inhis attempt to hit it, and falling outside his ground.

Wicket-keeper takes the ball and whips off the bails.

What is the result, and why?

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I think its clear, that he gets out but the team gets credited for a run so team B wins.

Look at it this way...If it was not the last run or the last player but just a normal situation say 100-5 and a wide was bowled and the batsman got stumped...the score would become 101-6.

But I have another interesting twist to this....same situation as Marc mentioned, its a wide but the batsman gets hit wicket, will team B be credited with a run for a wide ball, or the out happens first and the innings is over.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by royGilchrist
I think its clear, that he gets out but the team gets credited for a run so team B wins.

Look at it this way...If it was not the last run or the last player but just a normal situation say 100-5 and a wide was bowled and the batsman got stumped...the score would become 101-6.

But I have another interesting twist to this....same situation as Marc mentioned, its a wide but the batsman gets hit wicket, will team B be credited with a run for a wide ball, or the out happens first and the innings is over.
Really! Does the team get a run if you're out off a wide ball? If that's the case, what's the difference if it's hit-wicket or a stumping?

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I'm pretty sure (someone, eyes_only?, correct me if I'm wrong) that stumping on a wide ball does result in a run. But I'm not sure if hit wicket on a wide ball results in a run, but if I had to guess I'd say no.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i remember aING cup game 2 seasons ago where the winning runs were a wide, but the batsman was run out off the ball as well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You kind of got the answer between you, Team B does win by 1 wicket.

As soon as the wide occurs it is one run so the game is over, and the ball is dead.

So in that ING game, the batsman wasn't run out as the game was already over.

Roy has put an interesting spin on that question though - my guess is that if the ball has passed the stumps before the hit wicket, then a wide is called first, otherwise it's a wicket - but I can't be 100% on that!

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Ok thats fair enough I did not realize that as soon as team B got the run the match is over and the batsman doenst lose his wicket.

As for my question, I do not know the answer just asking a question, but the way you describe it Marc doesnt seem like an elegant way of deciding, and there is too much left to the discretion of the ump, also the question can be asked which ump makes the decision, is it the leg umpire?

I think it will make more sense if even if the ball goes behind the wkts before the hit wkt, the team doesnt get credit for the wide run, and batsman is out hit wkt. A bit like if a batsman hits a six, and the ball crosses the fence before, but then gets hit wkt, he is not credited for any runs and is proclaimed out. If the ump was judging what happened first, it will be too complicated, and not clear cut enough.

But someone should give us a concrete answer, fro the rule book. I guess, eyes_only is an aspiring umpire among us?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
the ball cannot be taken from in front of the stumps unless the keeper is completeley in front of the stumps or the batsmen are running (or the rule goes something like that i think)

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
posted by age_master...
the ball cannot be taken from in front of the stumps unless the keeper is completeley in front of the stumps or the batsmen are running (or the rule goes something like that i think)
I'm not sure what u r referring to?

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
The score would be 201-9 as the ball is dead after the ball is given wide before the bails come off.

If the wide is given after the bails are dislodged then it is both a wide and a stumping.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
According to Law 25.8 (The Laws Of Cricket 2000 Code), the only way a batsman may be given out from a wide ball is if he/she:

• Handles the ball
  • Hits the wicket
  • Obstructs the field
  • Is run out
  • Is stumped

According to Law 25.6, all runs that have been completed by the batsmen together with the wide balls will be scored as wides balls.... Apart from any 5 run penalty, all runs resulting resulting from the call of the wide shall be debited to the bowler....

That's what the Laws say...see if you can work it out in this example!! :frog:

PS: For what it's worth...Paid is the only one who has come close to the correct answer!! 8D

[Edited on 12/10/2002 by Eyes_Only]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by age_master
But it can't be called wide if doesn't pass the stumps, surely?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Eyes_Only
According to Law 25.8 (The Laws Of Cricket 2000 Code), the only way a batsman may be given out from a wide ball is if he/she:

• Handles the ball
  • Hits the wicket
  • Obstructs the field
  • Is run out
  • Is stumped

According to Law 25.6, all runs that have been completed by the batsmen together with the wide balls will be scored as wides balls.... Apart from any 5 run penalty, all runs resulting resulting from the call of the wide shall be debited to the bowler....

PS: For what it's worth...Paid is the only one who has come close to the correct answer!! 8D

What about me?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
A bit like if a batsman hits a six, and the ball crosses the fence before, but then gets hit wkt, he is not credited for any runs and is proclaimed out. If the ump was judging what happened first, it will be too complicated, and not clear cut enough.
Not sure about that - if the batsman has completed his stroke, he can't be given hit wicket - if the ball has cleared the boundary, I'd say it's pretty certain he's finished his stroke!

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Originally posted by marc71178
If the ball is taken by the keeper before it passes the stumps then it is a no-ball and the score would be 9-201. You CAN'T be stumped off a no-ball. The ump at square leg calls the no-ball.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Originally posted by Eyes_Only

• Handles the ball
  • Hits the wicket
  • Obstructs the field
  • Is run out
  • Is stumped

What about me?
Sorry Marc....yes you too mate!!

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Originally posted by Paid The Umpire
If the ball is taken by the keeper before it passes the stumps then it is a no-ball and the score would be 9-201. You CAN'T be stumped off a no-ball. The ump at square leg calls the no-ball.
Correct again Paid...

You'll put me out of a job before long mate!! :P