Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You're the umpire

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar

You're the umpire

Team A 200 all out
    Team B 200-9.

Spinner on, pitches one a foot outside leg stump, and it carries on down leg side with the batsman unable to hit it but toppling over inhis attempt to hit it, and falling outside his ground.

Wicket-keeper takes the ball and whips off the bails.

What is the result, and why?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Out isn't it? Stumping is allowed off a wide.
    Cheers:)

Visit http://pub11.ezboard.com/bopinionsunfetteredindianstyle56650

He is out and the result is a tie.
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

State 12th Man
    I think its clear, that he gets out but the team gets credited for a run so team B wins.

Look at it this way...If it was not the last run or the last player but just a normal situation say 100-5 and a wide was bowled and the batsman got stumped...the score would become 101-6.

But I have another interesting twist to this....same situation as Marc mentioned, its a wide but the batsman gets hit wicket, will team B be credited with a run for a wide ball, or the out happens first and the innings is over.

Originally posted by royGilchrist
    I think its clear, that he gets out but the team gets credited for a run so team B wins.

Look at it this way...If it was not the last run or the last player but just a normal situation say 100-5 and a wide was bowled and the batsman got stumped...the score would become 101-6.

But I have another interesting twist to this....same situation as Marc mentioned, its a wide but the batsman gets hit wicket, will team B be credited with a run for a wide ball, or the out happens first and the innings is over.
    Really! Does the team get a run if you're out off a wide ball? If that's the case, what's the difference if it's hit-wicket or a stumping?

State 12th Man
    I'm pretty sure (someone, eyes_only?, correct me if I'm wrong) that stumping on a wide ball does result in a run. But I'm not sure if hit wicket on a wide ball results in a run, but if I had to guess I'd say no.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    yep team B wins as the wide is 1 run, so they are 201 all out
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    i remember aING cup game 2 seasons ago where the winning runs were a wide, but the batsman was run out off the ball as well.

You kind of got the answer between you, Team B does win by 1 wicket.

As soon as the wide occurs it is one run so the game is over, and the ball is dead.

So in that ING game, the batsman wasn't run out as the game was already over.

Roy has put an interesting spin on that question though - my guess is that if the ball has passed the stumps before the hit wicket, then a wide is called first, otherwise it's a wicket - but I can't be 100% on that!

State 12th Man
    Ok thats fair enough I did not realize that as soon as team B got the run the match is over and the batsman doenst lose his wicket.

As for my question, I do not know the answer just asking a question, but the way you describe it Marc doesnt seem like an elegant way of deciding, and there is too much left to the discretion of the ump, also the question can be asked which ump makes the decision, is it the leg umpire?

I think it will make more sense if even if the ball goes behind the wkts before the hit wkt, the team doesnt get credit for the wide run, and batsman is out hit wkt. A bit like if a batsman hits a six, and the ball crosses the fence before, but then gets hit wkt, he is not credited for any runs and is proclaimed out. If the ump was judging what happened first, it will be too complicated, and not clear cut enough.

But someone should give us a concrete answer, fro the rule book. I guess, eyes_only is an aspiring umpire among us?

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    the ball cannot be taken from in front of the stumps unless the keeper is completeley in front of the stumps or the batsmen are running (or the rule goes something like that i think)

State 12th Man
    posted by age_master...
    the ball cannot be taken from in front of the stumps unless the keeper is completeley in front of the stumps or the batsmen are running (or the rule goes something like that i think)
    I'm not sure what u r referring to?

All Time Legend Paid The Umpire's Avatar
    The score would be 201-9 as the ball is dead after the ball is given wide before the bails come off.

If the wide is given after the bails are dislodged then it is both a wide and a stumping.

International Debutant Eyes_Only's Avatar
    According to Law 25.8 (The Laws Of Cricket 2000 Code), the only way a batsman may be given out from a wide ball is if he/she:

1. Handles the ball
    2. Hits the wicket
    3. Obstructs the field
    4. Is run out
    5. Is stumped

According to Law 25.6, all runs that have been completed by the batsmen together with the wide balls will be scored as wides balls.... Apart from any 5 run penalty, all runs resulting resulting from the call of the wide shall be debited to the bowler....

That's what the Laws say...see if you can work it out in this example!! :frog:

PS: For what it's worth...Paid is the only one who has come close to the correct answer!! 8D

[Edited on 12/10/2002 by Eyes_Only]
    Simon Taufel---ICC Umpire Of The Year 2005/2006/2007

Proud Member of CW Green

Proud member of the Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team

NSW Blues---ING Cup Champions 2005/2006

3rd May 1955-19th January 2004----RIP Hookesy

"Just keep your mouth shut and I'll only have to think you're stupid." The golden rule of umpiring according to the world's best cricket umpire, Australia's Simon Taufel.

Originally posted by age_master
    But it can't be called wide if doesn't pass the stumps, surely?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information