• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A question about Ryder

James

Cricket Web Owner
I rate Jeetan Patel as a much better spin bowler than Vettori based on his performances for New Zealand and Wellington over the past 12 months.

I hate to say it but I think the injury to Vettori could actually do us some good in the spin bowling department.... if it wasn't for Vettori's batting ability, he wouldn't be in the side anyway IMO.

I'd like to see the following team for the Champs Trophy:

Astle
Vincent
Fleming
Taylor
Fulton
Styris
Oram
McCullum
Mills
Patel
Bond

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Perm said:
Needs 302 more runs, which providing that he bats twice in every game that he has left only means he needs to score just over 30 every time he comes out into the middle.

well the next 3 bowling attacks he'll face are Northants, Derbyshire and Somerset which are probably the 3 worst attacks in the CC

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't see Oram making the Champions Trophy and I think there is doubt over Bond.

There aren't many all-rounders of note left in NZ, I think Mills and Franklin could do a decent job around #8 or #9, but definately not #5 or #6 like Oram can be capable of.

NZ 'A' and even C.D seem to be pushing Taylor & How to bowl a few overs in recent times, they could chip in if required. Ryder has also been doing a bit of bowling too.
If Jonathon Trott doesn't get picked up by England soon enough, I reckon we could snare him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
If Jonathon Trott doesn't get picked up by England soon enough, I reckon we could snare him.
Can you provide him with the salary he needs to compensate for no longer playing county cricket?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
that i'm not so sure of. I guess its up to him whether he wants to have an international career and be prepared to have a decreased salary for awhile or fight it out in County cricket in the hope he'll be selected for England.

He's more likely to get an international career in NZ than in England if you ask me.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
the thing is wouldn't he have to wait 4 years before he could play?

I reckon he could get a chance in the ODI squad after the world cup anyway

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I dunno, there is concern that Oram might have to drop bowling entirely and just focus on batting so that means there is an all-rounders spot up for grabs. And to be honest there really ain't much else around in terms of quality all-rounders in NZ. It would be tempting for Trott, but your right..he's probably already done the hard yards to qualify in England so im guessing he'll want to press on now and try his luck over there.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
James said:
I rate Jeetan Patel as a much better spin bowler than Vettori based on his performances for New Zealand and Wellington over the past 12 months.

I hate to say it but I think the injury to Vettori could actually do us some good in the spin bowling department.... if it wasn't for Vettori's batting ability, he wouldn't be in the side anyway IMO.

I'd like to see the following team for the Champs Trophy:

Astle
Vincent
Fleming
Taylor
Fulton
Styris
Oram
McCullum
Mills
Patel
Bond
Vettori = ODI star.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
James' Wellington bias is showing... :D

Actually, the more and more I read that message of James', I wonder what he's been watching for the last season.

Certainly, Vettori's test returns have been average at best in the last season or so with the ball, but his bowling stats in ODIs last season were quality - 28 wickets @ 29.10 with his RPO hovering around 4 (at a guess from looking at the stats on Cricket Archive ). What more do you want from a one day spinner?

Last edited:

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Voltman said:
James' Wellington bias is showing... :D

Actually, the more and more I read that message of James', I wonder what he's been watching for the last season.

Certainly, Vettori's test returns have been average at best in the last season or so with the ball, but his bowling stats in ODIs last season were quality - 28 wickets @ 29.10 with his RPO hovering around 4 (at a guess from looking at the stats on Cricket Archive ). What more do you want from a one day spinner?

Isn't Vettori hurt?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah, I hope thats why James has left him out :D

Otherwise top side..though I'm not sure if Fulton or Oram can do the Bevan/Hussey style middle order play of keeping the scoreboard ticking over. Haven't seen enough of Fulton to know if he does that but Oram seems more like someone who comes in and launches a few sixes. Styris seems to do it pretty well though. Or I'm completely wrong...someone help me out?

Retox

State Vice-Captain
NZTailender said:
Yeah, I hope thats why James has left him out :D

Otherwise top side..though I'm not sure if Fulton or Oram can do the Bevan/Hussey style middle order play of keeping the scoreboard ticking over. Haven't seen enough of Fulton to know if he does that but Oram seems more like someone who comes in and launches a few sixes. Styris seems to do it pretty well though. Or I'm completely wrong...someone help me out?
I always thought that role was for Marshall.

Astle
Vincent
Fleming
Taylor/Marshall
Fulton
Styris
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Bond

is a fully strength side. And WOW it's pretty nice. Alas can we ever do it?

NZTailender

I'd be inclined to leave one of Styris or Oram out for Mason or Gillespie (who is yet to play a ODI).

Retox

State Vice-Captain
NZTailender said:
I'd be inclined to leave one of Styris or Oram out for Mason or Gillespie (who is yet to play a ODI).

Bond,Mills,Oram,Vettori,Styris,Astle,Taylor

Is a pretty good attack not GREAT but decent enough.

I may be wrong about Taylor but he bowls spin...

NZTailender

Retox said:
Bond,Mills,Oram,Vettori,Styris,Astle,Taylor

Is a pretty good attack not GREAT but decent enough.

I may be wrong about Taylor but he bowls spin...
Personally, I wouldn't use Styris, Astle or Taylor for more than 5 overs in the middle of a match. Only more overs if they're bowling absolute gold...

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
NZTailender said:
Personally, I wouldn't use Styris, Astle or Taylor for more than 5 overs in the middle of a match. Only more overs if they're bowling absolute gold...
In ODIs, I've got no problem if Styris has to bowl 10. He's done it plenty of times before, and he generally keeps the run rate down.

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sir Redman said:
In ODIs, I've got no problem if Styris has to bowl 10. He's done it plenty of times before, and he generally keeps the run rate down.

I wouldn't back him at the death though. Do they still have the powerplay rules in force? If so then it does limit the amount of part timers you can expect to do the work.