• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A question about Ryder

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Does anybody know whats happening with that tri series thingy next month...Is that confirmed or are they just talking about it? Why would Bond miss the tri series? I can see why with Oram, he has been injured for so long...Do you think they would just put Bond in cotton wool until the world cup?..
Oh and......
Ryder
Astle
Taylor
Fleming
Vincent
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
Bond
Sherlock (bit of a punt but Vettori started when he was 18, Franklin was 20 or so and so was Butler)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Matt52 said:
Does anybody know whats happening with that tri series thingy next month...Is that confirmed or are they just talking about it? Why would Bond miss the tri series?
West Indies get priority (because they voted for the Asian bid for the 2011 WC), but they're in a conflict with their players, so may not turn up. In which case New Zealand would be stand ins. (or Sri Lanka, but India are set to play Sri Lanka so many times this season, so I doubt that)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
There is doubt that Bond will even make the Champions Trophy. Oram likewise.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
He could be ok, i think there is more concern with Bond & Oram right now.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Oh right, because when he left Warwickshire with the injury, I thought I'd heard 6 months mentioned.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Inititally 6 months with Vettori, I think that has since been revised...but I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to give Jeetan Patel some more experience at the Champions Trophy to allow Vettori to rest for the home season.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd say there's no point in playing someone like Vettori in the CT when a break would make him fit for the WC.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
hmm yes, the more I think about it..the more likely it is that Vettori won't be at the CT. Hamish Marshalls form for Glouc's will make things interesting, he's currently 143* in the 2nd innings against Leic's, I believe that's his 4th century of the season in the championship.

Franklin has also been quite consistent with the bat for Glamorgan but he still appears to be quite expensive with the ball which is a little concerning.

The selectors will have a few tricky decisions to make in a month or 2.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Tim said:
. Hamish Marshalls form for Glouc's will make things interesting, he's currently 143* in the 2nd innings against Leic's, I believe that's his 4th century of the season in the championship.

QUOTE]
I posted before that i wouldnt mind seeing him open so long as he could get used to the spot. But his form is pretty compelling at no.3. Its pretty hard to leave him out...

The question I have is how good is the competition? I honestly dont know how good the county competition is as I thought Glos was in the second division. I know there are a lot of top pro's from Aus and such playing but aren't they all playing for first division teams? and Hamish is in the second division ? (correct me if I am wrong) Is he just smashing journeymen or doing really well against quality opposition.?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Matt52 said:
I posted before that i wouldnt mind seeing him open so long as he could get used to the spot. But his form is pretty compelling at no.3. Its pretty hard to leave him out...
He got a duck when opening. Stop making middle order batsmen open, it's not going to do NZ any good.

Matt52 said:
The question I have is how good is the competition? I honestly dont know how good the county competition is as I thought Glos was in the second division. I know there are a lot of top pro's from Aus and such playing but aren't they all playing for first division teams? and Hamish is in the second division ? (correct me if I am wrong) Is he just smashing journeymen or doing really well against quality opposition.?
He is smashing journeymen, but he'd do that in division one as well.

The bowling attacks he's got tons against: Worcs (Zaheer Khan, Kabir Ali, Gareth Batty, Roger Sillence, Raymond Price), Worcs again (this time with Michael Mason replacing Kabir, and with added Lou Vincent), Glamorgan (David Harrison, James Franklin, Ryan Watkins, Alex Wharf, Robert Croft, Dean Cosker) and Leics (Stuart Broad, Adam Griffith, Claude Henderson, Mansoor Amjad, David Masters).

Zaheer, Kabir, Batty, Price, Franklin, Wharf, Croft have all played international cricket, so it's not that awful.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
But you also have to consider how woefully out of form Marshall was for a year before playing the current season with Glouc's. He was even struggling to score runs against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.
So his target would have been to score big runs consistently with Glouc's and to his credit he's done exactly that so far.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
He got a duck when opening. Stop making middle order batsmen open, it's not going to do NZ any good.

The problem is that behind How and Papps, the next best opening batsman in NZ is my grandma. Maybe a young guy could come on in the next year or so, but the cupboard is quite bare.

I see your point. He would probably do better at 3 or 4 but its just so tempting to put him up to open !!!!. On the condition of course that he can do it well...... Also remember that when Bracewell went looking for opening options, Marshall put his hand up for the job. (probably as he wasnt in good form and wanted to keep his spot longer, but anyway)

Another complication is that Ryder and taylor are getting to the age now where they can be genuine selections in a full NZ team....

So...A question....... If you have Marshall in the middle order with Fleming being the captain. That leaves only two more spots, so ...WHO, out of the rest, do you put in those two spots?. Fulton, Vincent, Astle, Styris, Oram, Ryder, Taylor, Sinclair,

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Matt52 said:
So...A question....... If you have Marshall in the middle order with Fleming being the captain. That leaves only two more spots, so ...WHO, out of the rest, do you put in those two spots?. Fulton, Vincent, Astle, Styris, Oram, Ryder, Taylor, Sinclair,
IF Marshall is in the middle order with Fleming, and there's two other batting spots...and this is the team being picked RIGHT NOW...then I'd pick Astle and Vincent.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hamish Marshall has been scoring prolifically for Gloucestershire in the County Championship. So far in the first class competition he has 698 runs at an average of 69.80 with 4 centuries and 2 half-centuries.

He currently has 5 games left with Gloucestershire so I hope he continues his good run of form.

NZTailender

Perm said:
Hamish Marshall has been scoring prolifically for Gloucestershire in the County Championship. So far in the first class competition he has 698 runs at an average of 69.80 with 4 centuries and 2 half-centuries.

He currently has 5 games left with Gloucestershire so I hope he continues his good run of form.
Would be good if he breaks 1000 runs...

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Needs 302 more runs, which providing that he bats twice in every game that he has left only means he needs to score just over 30 every time he comes out into the middle.

NZTailender

Perm said:
Needs 302 more runs, which providing that he bats twice in every game that he has left only means he needs to score just over 30 every time he comes out into the middle.

Or he could do a Langer and go the triple :p