• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I think we keep blaming new players and inexperience etc, this team wasnt that bad, and inexperienced, Imran Nazir, Younis, Razzaq, Latif, Shoaib, etc were all their and Waqar had the option of diggin out some old faces, like Mohd Wasim and Ijaz.

Inzi, Youhanna and Saeed (who probably is not even that good now), were missing, lets say if M Waugh, Hayden and Ponting were missing from Aus, and Pak were full strength, Aus would still beat Pak.

Plus if Pak could give such a good fight in the first test, they could have done the same in the next two, I think Waqar did not do a good job of motivating his team and inspiring them in a way that a great captain can. I put a lot of the blame with him.

basil

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Originally posted by Gotchya
Basil : I refuse to believe that this is just a 'bad' run of form, something near humiliating. The players will definitely make a difference, but there is something known as a 'frame of mind', I dont see that going miles near positive anytime soon. Thats where the problem will be largely. After all this, it is very very difficult to get out. Not impossible with Pakistan, but wihtout doubt its going to be one steep hill to climb from here.
I wasn't taking about the present team, i was talking about the onedayer team that played in kenya and SL (with Anwar/Inzi/Youhanna/Akram/Afridi).

As far as the present team is concerned, what else do u expect from them? the most experiance batter is someone who has played just 20 test matches.Imran Nazir is hopelessly out of form since a long time yet is being retained, Razzak continues to bat at vital one down spot inspite of failures.

I had said b/f this match that Pak would struggle in Sharjah coz when a young team loses a touch and go match, then it gets deflated.

Waqar was the one that wanted Anwar out of the series, the result serves him well.There were a no of senior player wo could have played in the series and the reult would have been much better.After all it was just the batting that flopped, the bowling was fine.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Yes. Thats my viewpoint as well. Having said that, the players never looked at their competetive best. The will to win wasn't very evident, that may be largely because of Waqar's man management, but the players also have an obligation. Sorry, but I didn't see a determination to fulfill that in this match. But, by and large, the present team can never be held responsible for their loss.

lets say if M Waugh, Hayden and Ponting were missing from Aus, and Pak were full strength, Aus would still beat Pak.
I am not sure. Hayden centurion today. Ponting 141 in the 1st test. Without them, the first test would have been closer.

basil

Originally posted by royGilchrist

Inzi, Youhanna and Saeed (who probably is not even that good now), were missing, lets say if M Waugh, Hayden and Ponting were missing from Aus, and Pak were full strength, Aus would still beat Pak.
[

Aus have wonderful reserves, u can't compare Aus with Pak.But above all, its a known fact that batsmen are not Pak strong point, as such if three of ur top batters aren't playing in the match, then Pak would always struggle.
Suppose if Inzi/Youhanna/Anwar had played, but Akhter & Waqar not played, Pak would probably had still lost the matches but not that badly.This is coz they have better reserve bowlers in Sami and zahid but that is not the case with the batting

[Plus if Pak could give such a good fight in the first test, they could have done the same in the next two, I think Waqar did not do a good job of motivating his team and inspiring them in a way that a great captain can. I put a lot of the blame with him.
A loss can really put a side down,like in the Asian games in hockey, Pak lost to India in semis and then even lost to Malaysia for the brinze medal,even though they had outplayed Malaysia by 6 goals in the group match!

[Edited on 12/10/2002 by basil]

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
I had said b/f this match that Pak would struggle in Sharjah coz when a young team loses a touch and go match, then it gets deflated.
Dont think thats the way it goes. The first test performance was against expectations, even so for the team itself. An inspired speel from Shoaib, Faisals innings Saqlain bowling well. It was a 'heartening loss' for such an inexperienced squad. I dont think a touch and go match is demoralising at all, infact it normally means a close game fought between two well matched teams (not intimating thats the case here), and nobody walks away feeling too down.

basil

. I dont think a touch and go match is demoralising at all, infact it normally means a close game fought between two well matched teams (not intimating thats the case here), and nobody walks away feeling too down.

Atleast in Pak case such a match have been demoralising, history supports that!

FullToss

Cricket Spectator
A batting lineup of,

Anwar
Afridi/Elahi
Waseem
Ejaz
Younis
Faisal

Looks far better than the one which is playing right now!
Someone should tell Waqar Younis and Pybus that onedown position is very important for a team, and any tom, dick and harry can't be send at one down position.In the next match one would probably see Saqlain comming at one down slot:rolleyes:

[Edited on 12/10/2002 by FullToss]

FullToss

Cricket Spectator
Well guys, i can tell u that Anwar and akram would be smiling now:D

In a way whatever happened was for good.Had the young players played well throughout the series, Anwar would had lost his place to Umer in the WC and Akram too would have been thrown out, which in my opinion would have been suicidal!

It was Waqar's idea to take on the Aussies with a young team.Waqar could easily had players like Anwar/mohd waseem/Elahi/Afridi playing in team but no, the guy had plans of his own.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
All these names, Full Toss, Yorker...so when can we expect Warnie's Zooter or the one that was supposed to go backwards???:lol:

FullToss

Cricket Spectator
A change of captaincy before the WC would be a bad idea, though i'm not sure whether Waqar is the best man for the job??

[Edited on 12/10/2002 by FullToss]