• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

July Player of the Month

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Okay guys, I'm in about eight different minds for this one, especially bearing in mind that Jayawardene won June's and a back-to-back job would be a bit dull (though had he made 27 more, then I might have had to...)

The Candidates (with CW Fantasy Cricket Points in brackets)
Mahela Jayawardene (125)
Steve Harmison (125)
Mohammad Yousuf (92)
Kumar Sangakkara (92)
Ian Bell (77)
Alastair Cook (72)
Paul Collingwood (71)
Monty Panesar (64)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe best to wait until July is over. Murali or someone may take a 10fer tomorrow or someone like Gibbs might bat for 2 days.

There is only one Test on at the moment and it finishes on the last day of July, so why not wait until Monday night?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Goughy said:
Maybe best to wait until July is over. Murali or someone may take a 10fer tomorrow or someone like Gibbs might bat for 2 days.

There is only one Test on at the moment and it finishes on the last day of July, so why not wait until Monday night?
I'll probably wait longer, as I'm a student and hence by nature exceptionally lazy. This was a rare attempt at proaction (proactivity? Sounds like Flora...)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
For me it is either Cook or Monty. Both of them are young and there is a lot pressure on them to perform and they have done exceptionally well. And If I had to pick one I would go for Cook.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
374 runs is 374 runs, so I'd go for Mahela unless Murali unleashes in this test.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ian Bell, two lovely centuries, and the only time he got out was thanks to Strauss!!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has to be Mahela Jayawardene. As stated above, 374 is an exceptional effort, even if it did only come against Ntini, Steyn, Nel, Boje and Hall...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Clearly Jayawardene if Sri Lanka win the Test match.

However, if SA save it, then Bell for averaging 234 in 2 games with 2 hundreds.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
AussieDominance said:
nah still got to be jayawardene Bell does not have the huge score like that i would much rather 374 than two hundreds
Hmm, Id much rather win the game. If SA hold out (I dont think they will but if they do) then the 375 is put in perspective as being played on a track that allowed the biggest ever partnership and a team to bat over 2 days to save the test.

2 hundreds gives you a chance of winning 2 games. If its a draw then it should not be Jayawardene

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If it's a draw it definitely won't be Mahela. My problem with giving it to him anyway is that I've already done June's article commenting on the whole leading from the front, transforming the Lankans in England perspective. This will just be "he scored a lot", and it won't make for much of a read.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
AussieDominance said:
nah still got to be jayawardene Bell does not have the huge score like that i would much rather 374 than two hundreds
He was on the verge of twin triple centuries but Strauss declared on him twice ;)

Hugh

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Off topic question: Would Mahela have declared earlier than he did if he was the one out on 287,and Sangakkara were the one carrying on ?

If no, then a possible drawing of this test should hardly be a factor in denying Mahela the award.
If yes, you'd need a pretty strong explanation of why you think he'd have declared earlier in that hypothetical situation than he actually ended up doing.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
marc71178 said:
He was on the verge of twin triple centuries but Strauss declared on him twice ;)
Strauss declared on him twice and ran him out the other time. Bell is becoming Strauss's bunny :laugh: