• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shahid Afridi (ODI legend) ?

FRAZ

International Captain
I was just checking some ODI statistics .
Kapil Dev (One of the greatest all rounders) played 225 games and Shaihd Afridi is going to play his next game which is going to be his 225th.
There is nothing significant that seperates these two players . Afridi has scored close to 5000 runs and Kapil scored less than 4000.But kapil took slightly more wickets .
Afridi's career batting strike rate is 107.73 and Kapil's was 96.36 .
Afridi IMHO can score over 10000 runs in the ODI history (if keeps on playing ) and He might close on to 400 wickets mark in the ODI's .
So stats wise Afridi may well become the all time great all - rounder in the ODI format of the game .
Kapil in most of the cricketing world's opinion is almost the greatest all rounder in the ODI history . Let us see .(God forbid I am not saying as Afridi is a better player than Kapil)

Shahid Afridi (born :March 1980)
(batting)
Matches... Runs..... Average .......Highest.......100's....50's......Duck.....NO's......SRR
224...........4824..... 23.53 ........109.................4........26 ........19 ........19 .......107.73

(Bowling)
Balls Runs Wicket .Average ..Wicket/Match... Runs/Over... 5+ WI ...Best
8713 6719 ..186 36...12 ..........0.83............... 4.63 ...........2. ..........5-11

Kapil Dev (Retired)
(batting)
Matches.... Runs... Average... Highest .....100's.... 50's...Ducks...NO's...SRR
225 ...........3783 .......23.79 .......175* ........1........14 ........13 .....66 ......96.36
(bowling)
Balls ......Runs .......Wicket .......Average..... Wicket/Match.... Runs/Over .5+ WI... Best
11202 ........6945 ..........253............ 27.45 ........1.12 ...........3.72 ...........1 .........5-43

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
fraz up to his usual tricks, trying to flame the indian supporters....:laugh: :laugh: sure....afridi is a far greater one day allrounder than kapil....and is on the brink of 10000 runs and 400 wickets....:laugh: legendary status beckons....

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Afridi is still somewhere between 26 and 30 one would think, so a lot of cricket left in him. He has the ability to finish up with a better batting record (big ask for the bowling record), so may end up looking better on paper, but not being the better player.

FRAZ

International Captain
SirBloody Idiot said:
Afridi is still somewhere between 26 and 30 one would think, so a lot of cricket left in him. He has the ability to finish up with a better batting record (big ask for the bowling record), so may end up looking better on paper, but not being the better player.
My words.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Their batting averages may be similar, but their bowling averages sure aren't. 27.45 is a lot better than 35.15, especially when you consider Kapil opened the bowling (I think...), so was bowling with the restrictions.

And he's hardly a legend when you consider he's rated number 9 in current OD allrounders. Flintoff (34.28 bat, 25.81 bowl), Gayle (38.42 bat, 32.02 bowl), Symonds (39.32 bat, 36.38 bowl), and even Styris (28.77 bat, 31.74 bowl) and Pathan (26 bat, 24.54 bowl) are ranked above him.

So in short, no, he's not an ODI legend.

FRAZ

International Captain
Anil said:
fraz up to his usual tricks, trying to flame the indian supporters....:laugh: :laugh: sure....afridi is a far greater one day allrounder than kapil....and is on the brink of 10000 runs and 400 wickets....:laugh: legendary status beckons....
Hey you cut the crap . I am not saying that at all . I am just saying that Kapil is a great playr and Afridi has a capability to become a good all-rounder on the paper .
Afridi never a better player than Kapil .
Kapil is a legend and a true player a great player and his stats show that .

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
SirBloody Idiot said:
oh is he 26, really?;) the guy was 17 or 18 for around 5 or 6 years i think, the normal aging process doesn't work for him....:D i thought he is still in his early 20s.....

gunner

U19 Cricketer
abdul razzaq will better both afridi and kapil,

he gets about 2-3 wickets consistently in odis and is back to his old bowling form in tests also so razzaq will defnetly be best odi allrounder statswise in about 10 years

Born December 2, 1979
Current age 26 years 239 days

Batting
class mat inns no runs hs ave bf sr 100 50 4s 6s ct
ODIs 212 184 46 4201 112 30.44 5223 80.43 2 21 316 95 29 0

Bowling
class mat balls runs wkts bbi bbm ave econ sr 4 5 10
ODIs 212 9146 7054 230 6/35 6/35 30.66 4.62 39.76 7 3 0

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
Hey you cut the crap . I am not saying that at all . I am just saying that Kapil is a great playr and Afridi has a capability to become a good all-rounder on the paper .
Afridi never a better player than Kapil .
Kapil is a legend and a true player a great player and his stats show that .
amen to that....:clapping:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
Hello!!!! This is what I said
FRAZ said:
I was just checking some ODI statistics .
........There is nothing significant that seperates these two players . ........But kapil took slightly more wickets insinuating here that 67 more wickets at a significantly better average is just "slightly more":D .......
Afridi's career strike rate is 107.73 and Kapil's was 96.36
hello!!!! you said this as well....but never mind....:laugh:

FRAZ

International Captain
SirBloody Idiot said:
No, I mean when Hasan Raza was listed to debut at fourteen, can you trust that?
Present your case and then write your data here. Write letter to the ICC if you feel some one's date of birth is wrong because it is a criminal offense TBH . So my friend if you have some data then froward it ASAP . As far as Hassan Raza is concerned he was so under 15 when he played because his height did grow up after his debut and he looks quite young . And if Tendulkar can play at 15-16 so what was the problem with Hassan .
And without any sense or data or a police file repot ,do not ever say that do not trust Pakistani age.
You do not trust as you pacificaly said "Pakistani" age then file a report .And afridi sure looks under 27 and he looks just fit and fine to play a couple of world cups atleast.

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
gunner said:
abdul razzaq will better both afridi and kapil,

he gets about 2-3 wickets consistently in odis and is back to his old bowling form in tests also so razzaq will defnetly be best odi allrounder statswise in about 10 years

Born December 2, 1979
Current age 26 years 239 days

Batting
class mat inns no runs hs ave bf sr 100 50 4s 6s ct
ODIs 212 184 46 4201 112 30.44 5223 80.43 2 21 316 95 29 0

Bowling
class mat balls runs wkts bbi bbm ave econ sr 4 5 10
ODIs 212 9146 7054 230 6/35 6/35 30.66 4.62 39.76 7 3 0
I understand this but I am so in favour of Shahid because his batting has improved and so did his bowling in the recent years and he looks fitter than Razzaq . Shahid's itsi bitsi leg spin has more variety so Shahid may well end up with a better record than Razzaq . But remember Kapil is a legend ..............

Last edited:

gunner

U19 Cricketer
FRAZ said:
I understand this but I am so in favour of Shahid because his batting has improved and so did his bowling in the recent years and he looks fitter than Razzaq . Shahid's itsi bitsi leg spin has more variety so Shahid may well end up with a better record than Razzaq . But remember Kapil is a legend ..............
but razzaq has about 50 more wickets already and hes one of the strike bowlers

afridi is around while woolmer is around,

after woolmer goes who knows what will happen to him,
razzaq is a consistent wicket taker and is one of the strike bowlers in odis while afridi is rarely used and when used he only bowls about 5-8 overs

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Razzaq is far from a "consistent wicket taker" or strike bowler in ODIs. His bowling record in the last few years is very poor.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
last few years,

the last year he has nearly recovered his old bowling form back atleast in test matches,

what i meant was more consisten wickettaker in odis than shahid afridi,

even without afridi razzaq still takes a good 2-3 wickets in most odis anyway