• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shahid Afridi (ODI legend) ?

FRAZ

International Captain
Dasa said:
Razzaq is far from a "consistent wicket taker" or strike bowler in ODIs. His bowling record in the last few years is very poor.
Bit harsh I would say . Anyways you know "Time" .Its the best judge!!!!!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
Present your case and then write your data here. Write letter to the ICC if you feel some one's date of birth is wrong because it is a criminal offense TBH . So my friend if you have some data then froward it ASAP . As far as Hassan Raza is concerned he was so under 15 when he played because his height did grow up after his debut and he looks quite young . And if Tendulkar can play at 15-16 so what was the problem with Hassan .
And without any sense or data or a police file repot ,do not ever say that do not trust Pakistani age.
You do not trust as you pacificaly said "Pakistani" age then file a report .And afridi sure looks under 27 and he looks just fit and fine to play a couple of world cups atleast.
Again with the defensive stuff. Its crazy how people let so much bias cloud there views.

There can be doubts about birth certificates from certain regions around the world and they can be subjest to debate, and parts of Pakistan are no exception.

Regarding Raza,

Cricinfo said:
(doubts about his birthdate and medical tests later resulted in the PCB withdrawing the record claim - his actual age was uncertain,...).
http://content-rsa.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/40378.html

This is not just a Pakistani issue, look at Danny Almonte for example. But to say it cannot be a problem in Pakistan is hiding your head in the sand.

BTW if you do not know who Danny Almonte is then google him.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Going back to the thread title, the answer is Yes.

Shahid is an ODI legend. He is a legend in the same way that the best actors are not the biggest moviestars.

I do not think Afridi is the best ODI player, but he is without a doubt a legend in the same way that Arnold Schwarzenegger is a legend of the silver screen.

Afridi is like a vacuous but entertaining Hollywood blockbuster rather than a content driven Indie film. And you know what? THere is nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
Goughy said:
Again with the defensive stuff. Its crazy how people let so much bias cloud there views.

Hi my name is Fraz . You can call me "people's champ" but do not call me "people" ,Its "un-English" hehehehehe. You know what the same applies on the "people" who start the stupid n idiotic conversation(like the ones who say trash about the Pakistani player's age) . What should be your comment if some body will categorize your favorite country and say just trash statement . Proof is a proof and I want to see that and no "people" can just walk by me after saying ridiculous comment . Show me the piece of ID that the gentleman has to prove the evidence.
And :D :D
Yup I agree .. I know that people like Shoaib , Afridi and Razzaq are just the most important n superhit ingredients of the world of cricket. Some people hate them and actually a lot of people hate em and actually may be more than 1/5 of the world hates em and this is what make em special too :D ...
Asta Lavista Baby

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
SirBloody Idiot said:
No, I mean when Hasan Raza was listed to debut at fourteen, can you trust that?
That's nothing, Shoaib Akhtar was bowling 100 mph in hist 34th week and there are guys that are ready to break that record.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
andyc said:
Their batting averages may be similar, but their bowling averages sure aren't. 27.45 is a lot better than 35.15, especially when you consider Kapil opened the bowling (I think...), so was bowling with the restrictions.

And he's hardly a legend when you consider he's rated number 9 in current OD allrounders. Flintoff (34.28 bat, 25.81 bowl), Gayle (38.42 bat, 32.02 bowl), Symonds (39.32 bat, 36.38 bowl), and even Styris (28.77 bat, 31.74 bowl) and Pathan (26 bat, 24.54 bowl) are ranked above him.

So in short, no, he's not an ODI legend.
This post sums it up easily. He's no better than Flintoff, Gayle and Symonds and as far as stats go he hardly blows away Styris and Pathan. He'll only be a legend if he starts using his brain a little better.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
SirBloody Idiot said:
How trustworthy are these Pakistani birthdates?
I sometimes have my doubts, TBH. It may just be that some Pakistanis look old for their years but (for instance) Younis Khan is officially younger than me, but looks about ten years older! & Waqar Younis is officially only 34, younger than yer Bichels, Goughs & (of course) yer McGraths who are all still taking wickets well into their mid-30s.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I sometimes have my doubts, TBH. It may just be that some Pakistanis look old for their years but (for instance) Younis Khan is officially younger than me, but looks about ten years older! & Waqar Younis is officially only 34, younger than yer Bichels, Goughs & (of course) yer McGraths who are all still taking wickets well into their mid-30s.
In Pakistan cricles it is very common knowledge that Waqar is atleast 5-6 years older. I have discussed it with many pakistani fans who have openely acknowledged this.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Two fastest hundreds in ODI history right? You'd have to say yes. (I'm ignoring the stupid Afridi vs. Kapil argument here).

That doesn't make him an all time great and doesn't mean he has to be comparable to Sachin or Bevan or whomever, but his impact on the ODI game has been HUGE! Its like Jayasuriya, he's not as good as Viv, but he's a ODI legend IMO.

FRAZ

International Captain
Jono said:
Two fastest hundreds in ODI history right? You'd have to say yes. (I'm ignoring the stupid Afridi vs. Kapil argument here).

That doesn't make him an all time great and doesn't mean he has to be comparable to Sachin or Bevan or whomever, but his impact on the ODI game has been HUGE! Its like Jayasuriya, he's not as good as Viv, but he's a ODI legend IMO.
Excellent Jono

FRAZ

International Captain
Nope stats means stats and the last saying by the ICC . What does the "final say" says . What does the wrist test report says . Ok the ages are not good or what ever as you say there are many other accusations like Murali is a chuker bla bla bla are still not "getting out of the head " .In my circle some people say some ****ing things too but I want to see the actual D.O.B recipt card,Hospital data, wrist report, Data ?

FRAZ

International Captain
Jono said:

How was Tendulkar able to play the likes of Wasim and Waqar at an early age ?? Stats and his wrist report please.
By the Way
Superb Jono

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:

it's like the word great, legend is being used to describe every player who has done reasonably well at international level....:) a player who averages in the 20s while batting and in the 30s while bowling is hardly a legend just because he blitzed a couple of hundreds....c'mon these words mean something profound, let's not water them down....:)

FRAZ

International Captain
Good timing for throwing one liners with the smiley faces eh ???
WHo what legend what ? who said Afridi is a legend currently ???
Find it and then say the one liners here along with the smiley faces....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
can't really help you fraz if you can't read(jono's post that i quoted) or count(at least 5-6 lines, not a one-liner as you insinuated...:laugh: )....as for the smiley face, we need to keep our cool here, don't we?....:)

FRAZ

International Captain
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: funny:laugh: :laugh:
Season's greetings
btw I think Statistics do play a vital role . AInt that right?

Beleg

International Regular
Goughy said:
Going back to the thread title, the answer is Yes.

Shahid is an ODI legend. He is a legend in the same way that the best actors are not the biggest moviestars.

I do not think Afridi is the best ODI player, but he is without a doubt a legend in the same way that Arnold Schwarzenegger is a legend of the silver screen.

Afridi is like a vacuous but entertaining Hollywood blockbuster rather than a content driven Indie film. And you know what? THere is nothing wrong with that.
I agree completely, well said.