Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why McGrath is the best

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

Why McGrath is the best

Cooley joked he would "sit and listen for a while" when asked how he could help a man with 542 Test wickets. "We've got to get his preparation right and hopefully I can have an input on that and make sure he's ready and fit when he wants to go," he said. "I don't plan any changes to his action but he wants to get quicker so we'll try and work on that."

WTF? The man is almost 37 years old and has 542 wickets to his name...and he wants to get quicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Maybe he has lost a yard during his layoff and he wants to get back at his regular speed.

Why he is the best ever?

1.Classical Action
    2.Robotic accuracy
    3.Extra bounce
    4.Command over all the neccessary tools that are needed.

International Captain
    McGrath is the length chamipon .Best Length in the world and his in-dipper is just a killer and he was fortunate enough to be born in Australia too because Aussies wickets are just perfect for him to go on and show his display ..
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

He is certainly up there, but not the best of all time imho
    You know it makes sense.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    He is certainly up there, but not the best of all time imho
    Whilst I may agree with you, and I probably do, it is hard to counter any argument that says he is. This is probably due to the fact that despite my opinion maybe he really is the best ever.

I find it really hard to think of any really good reasons apart from personal preference to put forward to make the claim that he was/is not the best.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    I think that a lot of people who claim he isn't the best ever have that image of the intimitadory, tear-away fast bowler ingrained in their minds. McGrath isn't going to make a batsman that scared, but he will get him out. And that's why he's the best for mine; he doesn't have 150+ pace, but he gets wickets through his consistency and patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

What makes McGrath great is that he doesn't normally have huge swing or seam movement. What he does get is just enough to keep batsmen confused, kiss edges and rattle stumps. Less is more, in his case.
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

Well let me say I think he may have really struggled in the 60s, simply because I think they would have just let most of his deliveries alone outside off stump.

I can't remember when the not offering a shot to a ball outside off stump came in?

I remember a few years back when NZ decided to leave Mcgrath alone as much as possible, and I think his figures were well down. ( I think in the end the series finished 0-0)

I wonder how he would have faired agaist Ken Barrington and Sir Boycott

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    Well let me say I think he may have really struggled in the 60s, simply because I think they would have just let most of his deliveries alone outside off stump.

I can't remember when the not offering a shot to a ball outside off stump came in?

I remember a few years back when NZ decided to leave Mcgrath alone as much as possible, and I think his figures were well down. ( I think in the end the series finished 0-0)

1930s IIRC EDIT- or 1970 depending on what you meant

I think he would have done very well against Boycott. I'm a huge Boycott fan but he would having playing at virtually every ball (Boycott was a great leaver) and he only needs that tiny movement to get the edge.
    Last edited by Goughy; 27-07-2006 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    1930s IIRC EDIT- or 1970 depending on what you meant

I think he would have done very well against Boycott. I'm a huge Boycott fan but he would having playing at virtually every ball (Boycott was a great leaver) and he only needs that tiny movement to get the edge.
    The 1930s was where the ball no longer had to pitch stump to stump to be out LBW

So I imagine it would be the 1970s law you speak of

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar

Notice how that tactic only worked for one series. In the subsequent series, they tried it again and McGrath blitzed NZ. Great bowlers know when they're being dominated and adjust. McGrath, for that reason among many others, should be regarded in the top echelon.

C_C
    He, alongside Marshall, Hadlee, Imran and Ambrose make up my top 5 alltime non-spin bowlers.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    Notice how that tactic only worked for one series. In the subsequent series, they tried it again and McGrath blitzed NZ. Great bowlers know when they're being dominated and adjust. McGrath, for that reason among many others, should be regarded in the top echelon.

defenately
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

International Captain
    My list of greatest ever

Mcgrath
    Waqar Younis
    Marshall
    Holding
    Wasim Akram
    Imran Khan
    Shoaib Akhtar
    Joel Garner
    Andy Roberts
    Dennis

McGrath takes wickets, concedes limited runs, destroys the oppos best players whilst being neither fast or a big mover of the ball.

We've another thread on here debating whether Dravid is the best sub-continent batsman of all time yet he has never looked like scoring a run vs him - that's how good he is.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information