• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why McGrath is the best

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
Current fasties

1. Mcgrath
2, Shoaib Akhtar
3. Brett Lee
4. Makhaya Nitini
5. Pollock
6. Andrew Flintoff
I would not like to argue about the ranking (I assume they are ranked by you as such) But its a sad commentary on the standard of the bowling in the game today if the second best pacer in the world lacks control over line and length.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well wouldn't you say so? At his best I'd rather him over those bowlers. And he's consistent as well.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Shoaib gets injured far too often but honestly, can he be any more under rated around here? I am not saying he is better than the golden oldies or anything, but he is really the second best (possibly the best, depending on how McGrath's come back shapes up) fast bowler in the world when he is not injured.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I agree, Shoaib cops way too much flak. That being said, anyone who does include Shoaib in a list of the top 5 greatest fast bowlers ever should expect plenty of criticism, because its a silly call.

Shoaib is still 2nd best fast bowler in the world though. I'd have him marginally better than Freddy, and behind McGrath.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
Shoaib gets injured far too often but honestly, can he be any more under rated around here? I am not saying he is better than the golden oldies or anything, but he is really the second best (possibly the best, depending on McGrath's come back shapes up) fast bowler in the world when he is not injured.
Oh I am not saying that he shouldnt be second on that list or first as you are saying. But just the point about bowling standards.

We have seen on other threads batsmen being castigated because they did not fare well against, not just good fast bowling, but the greatest, unending army of fast bowlers ever collected by a country - namely West indies. Hence Zaheer is not rated highy because he did not average THAT high against West Indian army, or Botham and others.

But so many modern day batsmen make their countries all time lists for most people although all they ahve to face is one ageing MacGrath, when fit, or one erratic Shoaib when fit and willing, or a couple of nice guys from india, an ageing pollock from South Africa with an enthusiastic Ntini.

Not just West Indies, almost all the attacks in the world were better than they are today. So why do we not discount the mid fifty averages of today's "mini-Bradmen" ??

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SJS said:
Oh I am not saying that he shouldnt be second on that list or first as you are saying. But just the point about bowling standards.

We have seen on other threads batsmen being castigated because they did not fare well against, not just good fast bowling, but the greatest, unending army of fast bowlers ever collected by a country - namely West indies. Hence Zaheer is not rated highy because he did not average THAT high against West Indian army, or Botham and others.

But so many modern day batsmen make their countries all time lists for most people although all they ahve to face is one ageing MacGrath, when fit, or one erratic Shoaib when fit and willing, or a couple of nice guys from india, an ageing pollock from South Africa with an enthusiastic Ntini.

Not just West Indies, almost all the attacks in the world were better than they are today. So why do we not discount the mid fifty averages of today's "mini-Bradmen" ??
Everything you said there is true, but I think you'll find that people do often dismiss these batsman. No one (or not many) claim Smith, Sehwag or Inzy are all time greats. Hayden gets questioned a hell of a lot too. Hell even Kallis, Ponting and Dravid are often stuck with the query "would they be this good in another era?"

FRAZ

International Captain
Shoaib is not that bad either to be considered as substandard bowler. He has a good line and length and he does not give many extras either (now a days) . He is a threatening fast bowler . If English and Indians find him hard then what else can I say . In Australia against Australia there were times when Shoaib all by himself rock'd the top order of Australia but due to the lack of support from the other end just nothing much could happen . He challenges the batsmen . In some people's books Ganguly is like some thing especial but while facing Shoaib I never saw him being comfortable. He is a gem of a bowler and the only one who can challenge a batsman like the great Windians of their time used to do . I mean what is the problem with his length and considering a fact that some of his balls that beat the batsman often beat the keeper too and he gets free extra runs to his name too but I still consider Shoaib as the best ODI bowler in the world and just 2nd to Mcgrath in the tests ..

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
If I have ever seen any bowler who can beat the bat on the off stump more often after Craig Mcdermott and Glen Mcgrath then that is Shoaib .
Shoaib's yorkers are third in the list after Waqar and Wasim .
In the current bunch his bouncers have done so many damages for example Lara , Tendulkar ,Great Gary and many others. His short pitch stuff is not very good and he lacks in-swing otherwise he is a top notch bowler and he is one of my favorites .

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FRAZ said:
If I have ever seen any bowler who can beat the bat on the off stump more often after Craig Mcdermott and Glen Mcgrath then that is Shoaib .
Shoaib's yorkers are third in the list after Waqar and Wasim .
In the current bunch his bouncers have done so many damages for example Lara , Tendulkar ,Great Gary and many others. His short pitch stuff is not very good and he lacks in-swing otherwise he is a top notch bowler and he is one of my favorites .
Being a good bowler isn't just about bowling a good yorker though. You have to be able to set batsmen up, bowl to a line, bowl consistently and have the control to do so.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
You what ? Shoaib not good . Ok calm down please..
Do not swear (in your heart). And please .............
Only person that seem to be swearing (in his heart and mind) is you. Do you have a problem in reading stuff properly ? Where did I say that Shoaib is not a good bowler ?

Shoaib is a very good bowler, but just not an all time great.

archie mac

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
McGrath can safely claim the greatest pace bowler ever tag, but not the bestfast bowler ever.
All time, I don't think so :@ I would like to wait until his career is over:)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All time, I don't think so I would like to wait until his career is over
He's 37 and has 542 Test wickets.I think you have a fair chance that any rating you make now will not deviate significantly.

Me personally, I'd rate him as at least equal to Hadlee, Marshall, Ambrose. etc. As far as I'm concerned he's in the very top echelon and I don't think there's any way that group can be separated.

Last edited: