• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John Wright eyes NZ coaching role

James

Cricket Web Owner
No idea, but I wouldn't have thought so, as he would have been a shoe in if he did I would have thought.

James

Cricket Web Owner
While writing that report, I was trying to think what were Wright's major achievements with India.

He didn't:

* win a test series overseas
* didn't win a major tournament (World Cup or Champions Trophy)
* failed to bring through any talented batsman into the mix (AFAIK).

I can't think of any :mellow:

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
James said:
While writing that report, I was trying to think what were Wright's major achievements with India.

He didn't:

He did get selected to be the coach of the World XI in Super Series last year, so someone must think he does something wright (sorry, couldn't help it!) in the coaching department.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
James said:

He didn't:

He led them on that tour of Australia in 03/04. He also helped to create a fair bit of cohesion in the squad.

It's interesting how a lot of the progress made during this time is attributed to Ganguly (not saying that he wasn't integral, or anything like that) especially with regards to new players who did well (Sehwag, Yuvraj, Pathan, etc.), while now Chappell is the one who lives and dies by what happens.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
James said:

He didn't:

Heh, look at Indian test record before him. Then you won't say that. We did win a test series in Pakistan, BTW. But not outside the subcontinent. Before him, we hadn't even won a test outside the subcontinent in like 15 years, let alone a series.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Indian test record had nothing to offere before Wright took over, he is the best coach india ever had imo..

Our ODI record wasn't too good too, but with him we also reached the WC final and since then are a good force in ODI too..

James

Cricket Web Owner
With Chappell winning the test series in the West Indies recently, do you consider that a bigger achievement than any of Wright's?

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
I hope he does get the job..
I am not sure about his record with India, but a few guys on this thread thought he did well.
My reason is that I think a lot of cricket supporters in New Zealand are not too happy with our current coach, John Bracewell.

He (Bracewell) doesnt come across well in the media and and said some pretty strange things at times. NZ's record isnt any better than it has been in the past. You could also say that he had a larger amount of good players to choose from.

I am trying to think of a highlight under Bracewell's reign but I can't think of one. I think we climbed to 3rd in the one-day rankings for a short time but that was it. My apologies..........we did beat SA in a one day series in NZ for the first time.

I hope Wright could change a few controversial selections of Bracewell's too,,, but I guess that is for another thread.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Matt52 said:
I hope he does get the job..
I am not sure about his record with India, but a few guys on this thread thought he did well.
IMO, he did fantastic. The best coach in Indian history. Thats how highly I think of him.

Hugh

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
James said:

He didn't:

India did win the Champions Trophy.
And to be fair to Wright, there is little he could have done to bring through new talented batsmen. Chappell can do so now (Raina for one) because the absence of Sachin and Saurav has left two openings in the batting line-up for him to fill, that wasn't the case usually when Wright was the coach. The only thing he could be faulted for is his failure to rectify the downfall of Ganguly as a batsman, and his failure to get India out of the rut they were in in the last season he was in charge.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
There is potential there for Bracewell to continue with the ODI side and for John Wright to pick up with the test side. There are alot of complications with this, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Tim said:
There is potential there for Bracewell to continue with the ODI side and for John Wright to pick up with the test side. There are alot of complications with this, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely.
NZ Test side - bit of a poisoned chalice. Still, the only way is up.

Different coaches, what about different Captains - Fleming for Test, Vettori for ODI?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ aren't bad in tests, they'll still be a challenge for anyone. We looked like we were making progress for awhile but recently its gone back to us playing out a few draws. Bracewell has an excellent ODI record, but like at Glouc's, he has struggled to capture the imagation in the longer form. John Wright might be a good option for NZ in tests. But as I said, it raises alot of complications.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
James said:

He didn't:

Drew the Champions Trophy with SL, and made final of WC. Also won us a test series in Pakistan (overseas to India :p).