• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best up and coming talent

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Tomm NCCC said:
Benjamin Harmison. Steve's Brother. Played for England U19's, hasnt done a bad job, and on his two apeearences for Durham, he's made centuries. Handy little feller
to be honest i've not been that impressed when i've seen him, he'll be a solid county pro at best imo.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
superkingdave said:
to be honest i've not been that impressed when i've seen him, he'll be a solid county pro at best imo.
IMO only gets any attention at all because of his brother.

Flem274*

123/5
So, a few guys mentioned in here have played some cricket now, out of interest (and boredem, there's only so many times per minute you can be Greg Hay's number one cheerleader) how do you think they're coming along?

Or alternatively, how fast do you think they are going backwards?:laugh: (a certain Te Ahu Davis springs to mind)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So, a few guys mentioned in here have played some cricket now, out of interest how do you think they're coming along?

Or alternatively, how fast do you think they are going backwards?:laugh:
Wellllllll...
Henriques is the obvious one.
Murphy yet to be tested, Henriques has still barely played for NSW yet.
Jamshed Ahmed (He looks special), Chawla, Jaques, Ryder, Cosgrove, Watson, Shahid Yousuf
Know sufficiently little about the Pakistan domestic scene to know how Jamshed and Shahid Yousuf are coming along; Watson had been around for ages even when this post was made, so not sure he really counts; Cosgrove is apparently still struggling to get himself into shape; Jaques is (as was always likely) now an established international player and could easily be a star within a few years; Chawla is still just 18.
From what I've seen/heard: Shikhar Dhawan, Piyush Chawla, Ishant Sharma, Shahbaz Nadeem, Cheteshwar Pujara, Billy Godleman, Sam Northeast, Stuart Broad, Saqibul Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Jamshed Ahmed, Anwar Ali.
Dhawan I think is going OK; Ishant Sharma is of course going pretty well; Godleman had an excellent first season and is still IIRR just 19; Northeast should hopefully be on the First-Class scene by 2010 or so; Broad is obviously still promising but has played Tests and ODIs; Anwar Ali the same applies to as above Pakistanis; and the others George mentions I don't know (Saqibul Hasan - if that's still how he spells it - and Rahim apart) whether they're Pakistanis or Bangladeshis.
Back Home in NZ, its a couple of Batsmen, Jesse Ryder, and Ross Taylor, and a couple of young fast bowlers, Richard Sherlock, and Te Ahu Davis (both bowl in the 140-150kph range)
Ryder obviously still fighting his own demons, not unlike Cosgrove; Taylor a ODI star and looking decent to be the same in Tests; Sherlock and Davis (both of whom seem to have been talked about by Kiwis on here since I first posted back in 2003) don't seem to have come too far.
McNamara for me.
Still at Uni, and still modding CW forums.
He bats too; 3 centuries for Yorkshire 2nds this year.
Rashid had a decent first full season.
I quite like the look of James Benning at Surrey. I don't know if he's test quality, but could do a Nick Knight-ish sort of job for us in ODIs. Scores at a fair old lick.
Benning still being ignored as we speak - in favour of Luke Wright. 8-)

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Unfortunately both of my Pakistani picks have regressed a bit though they are by no means out of it.

Jamshed has been unlucky with injuries but has performed credibly when given a chance while Shahid yousuf have just gone through two mediocre seasons after showing so much early promise.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
To fly the flag for the Associate Nations:

Alex Kervezee (16) from The Netherlands.
Tanmay Mishra (19) from Kenya
Boyd Rankin (22) from Ireland
Hmmm

-Kervezee is pretty much undroppable for the Netherlands and if I remember correctly signed for Worcestershire

- Mishra...what a loss. Had a gun Debut International season. I do not think any other Kenyan batsman has managed 600 odd runs in his first 20 ODI's and such a nice cut shot too. Has not played active cricket since the World T20 championships apparently

Boyd Rankin. had a good World Cup for Ireland and ahs got himself a decent county team.

New Stars would be

Rodney Trott 20?(Bermuda)- all rounder who captained their u19 squad. Bowls a useful offspin too

Alex Obanda 20(Kenya) - Already had an FC ton to his name and looked in good nick against Canada before and ankle injury sidelined him for a while By all accounts is looking dangerous again in Kenya's elite league.

David Maina 22?(Kenya)- Scored 130 odd runs in 3 innings in the elite OD league(including 75 in one game) opening for the Western Chiefs. Also keeps wicket apparently. Might possibly win himself a call up if Morris Ouma has not recovered from his injury.

Last edited:

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Wayne Parnell the U19 SA captain. Great left arm bowler who is capable with the bat.

Dean Elgar. Definitely one for the future.

Roelof van der Merwe and David Weise. Both from the Titans who are big hitters and can bowl well. David Weise reminds me a bit of Jacques Kallis.

Last edited:

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I'll try and limit this to players who have not played internationals.

England: Goodleman, Rashid, Moeen Ali

Australia: Henriques, S. Smith

India: Chawla, Tiwary - both have had limited international exposure, but I am expecting BIG things, especially from the former

Sri Lanka: Mendis

South Africa: Parnel Vandair, Tssobe (can't remember his full name)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, sheeysh, this Ajantha Mendis fellow appears quite something so far. :blink: Here's a selection of comments on him recently and his deeds have so far backed the words: 19 First-Class games, 111 wickets at 14.54 (2.65-an-over); 22 one-day games, economy-rate 3.30-an-over, average 12.10. I mean, I know top Sri Lankan bowlers tend to have averages in the teens, but that's still a cut above the rest. And respectable performances on the 2 occasions he's bowled in a ODI so far too.

Let's hope he can keep it up. :)

tooextracool

International Coach
He is? Thought he was a wristspinner.

Will have to take a closer look.
He bowls both. The reason why he has been taking wickets thus far has been due to the fact that he can bowl 6 different balls in one over. ie. being able to bowl leg breaks, googlies, off breaks, doosras, flippers and everything else while still being able to land the ball fairly accurately.
He is definetly one for the future, although i do think that he is being hyped up considerably for someone so young. So far hes been able to confound batsmen based solely on variety, rather than through the air. In fact he bowls it relatively flatter and quicker(at least in ODIs) and doesnt turn his leg breaks as a genuine wrist spinner. Whether he can maintain that for the best part of his career will remain under question, because batsmen who can pick him from the hand at this point should not have too many issues playing him.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Thats the one. Wonder how long it will take until he cracks a squad.
Until he adds a few yards of pace and works on his fitness. South Africa will not touch a fast bowler until they are at least bowling 85mph plus (according to their current directives), Lonwabo isn't doing that at the moment.

Last edited: