• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overachiever / Underachiever

Xuhaib

International Coach
Some time back we had a very popular thread going around called Underrated/Overrated.This thread is kind of a branch off of that particular thread.

So lets start with Mark Waugh.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Certainly an underachiever, at test level. Had a tendancy to go through lengthy slumps, and fail to go on with it after making 50 or even 100. Never made a huge score at test level, but had the ability to play some unbelievable innings, like in South Africa in '97.

In ODIs he's an all-time great, however, and one of the finest openers ever.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Xuhaib said:
Some time back we had a very popular thread going around called Underrated/Overrated.This thread is kind of a branch off of that particular thread.

So lets start with Mark Waugh.
Possibly slightly underachieved as a batter at least. Always looked so completely in control when he was in & (obviously) a wonderfully fluent, elegant player too. I don't think his average (respectable as it is) does full justice to his talent.

Graham Gooch

EDIT: Bah. Beaten to it. :p

Xuhaib

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Possibly slightly underachieved as a batter at least. Always looked so completely in control when he was in & (obviously) a wonderfully fluent, elegant player too. I don't think his average (respectable as it is) does full justice to his talent.

Graham Gooch

EDIT: Bah. Beaten to it. :p
Rightlyachieved:p, early in the career never looked like a batsman who would score 8000+ runs but ended up as one of those player who became more and more aware of his game as time went on and played some top innings.

Srinath

Beleg

International Regular
Overachiever.

Looking at him you certainly won't call him arguably the best quickie India ever produced. I always had a lot of respect for his bowling and he was the cornerstone of the Indian pace line-up of the late 90's, early 00.

Inzamam

Xuhaib

International Coach
Underachiever.

Only got his mind fully focused in the latter part of his career. With this batting talent should have scored 10000+ atan avg of 55.

Dennis Lillie.

Hugh

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Exacto-achiever. Played to his potential as far as I can make out.

A player I keep changing my opinion of: Shane Watson.

Steulen

International Regular
As of now, an overachiever, has played Test and ODI cricket without any indication that he's good enough for either. Of course, if those in the know are right, he's actually underachieving, but meh.

Justin Langer

Xuhaib

International Coach
Steulen said:
As of now, an overachiever, has played Test and ODI cricket without any indication that he's good enough for either. Of course, if those in the know are right, he's actually underachieving, but meh.

Justin Langer
Underachieved in the early part of his career and then slightly overachieved later on.

Ian Botham.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Under Achiever - Vinod Kambli, Javagal Srinath, Bruce Ried, Aquib Javed, Michael Slater
Over Achiever - Navjot Siddhu, Sourav Ganguly

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Xuhaib said:
Underachieved in the early part of his career and then slightly overachieved later on.

Ian Botham.
Underachiever, should have stayed great for longer and his averages don't reflect his greatness

Graham Thorpe

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Underachiever, should have stayed great for longer and his averages don't reflect his greatness

Graham Thorpe
Overahiever. On talent alone should not have been Englands best batsman of the 90s and early 2000s but he was.

John Wright

Hugh

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
GeraintIsMyHero said:
He was past his prime after just 5 years of greatness. He achieved exactly what he could.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Goughy said:
Overahiever. On talent alone should not have been Englands best batsman of the 90s and early 2000s but he was.

John Wright
Overachiever.What i saw of him in the 92 WC he did not look like a very naturally talented batsman but i guess his strong metal approach allowed him to have a successfull career.

Matthew Hayden

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Overachiever - not as talented as batsmen who came before him and had lower averages and such like

Jason Gillespie

Xuhaib

International Coach
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Overachiever - not as talented as batsmen who came before him and had lower averages and such like

Jason Gillespie
Played to his potential.

When you looked at Jason during his prime he looked really good but he never looked like an all-time great and his stats prove that, a massive overachiever with bat though.

Sarwan

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Underachiever so far, particularly (well mainly) in tests. Plenty of his career to come though, so possibly too early to say.

VVS Laxman