• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flintoff will not play again this Summer

open365

International Vice-Captain
I know it's impossible to prove a link, but i bet he wouldn't be in this mess if he hadn't have bowled 50 overs in one innings against Sri_-anka.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, it may be impossible to prove that his injury comes from then, but many of us were worried about Freddies ridiculous workload in that first test-match.

He was the captain, but surely Fletcher should of idsads something, Monty was criminally underbowled.

Flintoff should be used as a shock bowler in a five man attack, anything else is putting undue pressure on him.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
grecian said:
Yes, it may be impossible to prove that his injury comes from then, but many of us were worried about Freddies ridiculous workload in that first test-match.

He was the captain, but surely Fletcher should of idsads something, Monty was criminally underbowled.

Flintoff should be used as a shock bowler in a five man attack, anything else is putting undue pressure on him.
I tend to agree. Andrew should be England's Brett Lee, and should be used as a shock-weapon. Anything else puts uneeded pressure on him.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
When McGrath got injured in the Ashes, it was because of his old age. When Flintoff gets injured, it`s workload. I understand Flintoff has had pressure with bowling a lot of overs and captaining, but Pidge often bowls over 10 on the trot.

Where am I going with this? I have no idea. But I don`t know how England will now cope against Pakistan and in the Champions Trophy.

Craig

World Traveller
Perhaps a good thing if he misses the rest of the summer, especially with an Ashes coming up?

a massive zebra

International Captain
A couple of generations ago fast bowlers regularly bowled 1000 overs a season and hardly ever got injured. These days, international bowlers barely get through 300 overs in all types of cricket over an entire season, and are supposedly far fitter, yet get injured infinitely more often.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When McGrath got injured in the Ashes, it was because of his old age.
You'll have to enlighten me as to how rolling ones ankle on a cricket ball in practice is because of 'old age'.....

A couple of generations ago fast bowlers regularly bowled 1000 overs a season and hardly ever got injured. These days, international bowlers barely get through 300 overs in all types of cricket over an entire season, and are supposedly far fitter, yet get injured infinitely more often.
No, never reported injuries. A lot of those bowlers, maybe through machismo as we as many other factors, were crippled later in life bcause of this and had FAR shorter careers at the highest level. Bowlers thse days are far more likely to miss games due to injuries other generations would have played on so this artificially boosts the numbers somewhat. Bowlers also bowl at their peak speed for much longer these days. Add that to the fact that people are seeing, because of the above mentioned injuries, just how stupid those workloads were. We ARE supposd to learn from the past, aren't we?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
When McGrath got injured in the Ashes, it was because of his old age. When Flintoff gets injured, it`s workload. I understand Flintoff has had pressure with bowling a lot of overs and captaining, but Pidge often bowls over 10 on the trot.

Where am I going with this? I have no idea. But I don`t know how England will now cope against Pakistan and in the Champions Trophy.
Regardless if Flintoff participated in the Champions Trophy, we are not liable to do anything more than get are asses well and truly handed to us.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Nnanden said:
I understand Flintoff has had pressure with bowling a lot of overs and captaining, but Pidge often bowls over 10 on the trot.
When did he last do that then?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
No, never reported injuries. A lot of those bowlers, maybe through machismo as we as many other factors, were crippled later in life bcause of this and had FAR shorter careers at the highest level.
Who exactly are you talking about? Only English bowlers were faced with such a heavy workload, but the only England fast bowler I can think of who suffered a career threatening injury during this time was Frank Tyson, and he later became a successful coach of Victoria, so could hardly have been crippled (he was not really a regular 1000 overs a season man anyway). Other bowlers like Trueman, Statham, Bedser and so on actually had longer careers than most of the more recent England fast bowlers despite the much larger quantities of overs per season and none of them were crippled later in life.

Top_Cat said:
Bowlers also bowl at their peak speed for much longer these days.
How do you know this, please provide some evidence (which given the paucity of speed measuring devices of yesteryear, is virtually impossible). It really looks like you are reverting to sweeping generalisations with no factual basis at all, just to prove me wrong. There may certainly have been some bowlers from past generations who lost their pace early on, but I very much doubt this was any more common than today, where off the top of my head you have Jones, Anderson, Collymore and Gillespie who all lost their peak pace very early in their careers.

Top_Cat said:
Add that to the fact that people are seeing, because of the above mentioned injuries, just how stupid those workloads were. We ARE supposd to learn from the past, aren't we?
I am still waiting for you to mention a single instance of these alleged crippling injuries caused by being overbowled. Non English bowlers do not count as they were not subject to the 1000 over a season workout.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Freddy's next few months...

July - November: recuperate.

Early November: Have nets, and be declared fit for the trip to Australia.

Mid-November: Ankle blows up in tour game before 1st Test - fly home.