• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kenya in Canada

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
If I see Tony Suji at :censored: three again, things are going to get violent!

Dismal effort by Kenya with the bat so far - it will be a huge effort to get out of jail from here. Batting woes at the top of the order continue.

Wailey! Wailey! Wailey!

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
I have no way of verifying this, but a comment has just been left on my blog saying that Kenya were 9-190 with an hour to go at the crease.
Mishra (a batsman) and Variaya (tailender) were the batsmen left. Both are from the junior ranks, so a massive test of character for them.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Chemosit said:
I have no way of verifying this, but a comment has just been left on my blog saying that Kenya were 9-190 with an hour to go at the crease.
Mishra (a batsman) and Variaya (tailender) were the batsmen left. Both are from the junior ranks, so a massive test of character for them.
Your commenter appeared to be right! 83* for Mishra (the new Tikolo? ;) ), 43 for Collins Obuya, and 38 for Nehemiah Odhiambo. Then Odoyo dismissed Davison with about eight balls to go, so Canada are 52 for one overnight, leading by 56 with nigh****chman Umar Bhatti on 2*.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Chemosit said:
If I see Tony Suji at :censored: three again, things are going to get violent!

Dismal effort by Kenya with the bat so far - it will be a huge effort to get out of jail from here. Batting woes at the top of the order continue.

Wailey! Wailey! Wailey!
Suji was on the night watch, wasn't he?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Canada 209/3 at lunch. Geoff Barnett, of Central Districts, NZ, let loose the long handle and has made 116 not out. Now, the Canada v Netherlands match in December looks like becoming a play-off game (unless Canada screws up against Bermuda AGAIN - which doesn't seem likely at present, what with home advantage, some decent batters in the side, and Osinde/Bhatti finally finding some form). But Barnett won't be playing that one, because he's got a contract with Central Districts and they're playing Otago in the State Championship that week.

Memo to John Bracewell: the man is a left-hander who opens the batting...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Canada 209/3 at lunch. Geoff Barnett, of Central Districts, NZ, let loose the long handle and has made 116 not out. Now, the Canada v Netherlands match in December looks like becoming a play-off game (unless Canada screws up against Bermuda AGAIN - which doesn't seem likely at present, what with home advantage, some decent batters in the side, and Osinde/Bhatti finally finding some form). But Barnett won't be playing that one, because he's got a contract with Central Districts and they're playing Otago in the State Championship that week.

Memo to John Bracewell: the man is a left-hander who opens the batting...
Hakon,
So from your above post, I take it that the recent ICC ruling about teams releasing players for International games (helping the minnows) only relates to ODIs rather than Intercontinental Cup games.

Is that right?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Goughy said:
Hakon,
So from your above post, I take it that the recent ICC ruling about teams releasing players for International games (helping the minnows) only relates to ODIs rather than Intercontinental Cup games.

Is that right?
I had forgotten about that ruling (since it was so inconsequential: nearly all matches involving Associates with professional contracts and Full Members were finished the day before it came into effect). Nevertheless, the list only includes: ICC Twenty20 World Championship, all ODI matches between Associate Members and Full Members, ICC Cricket World Cups (senior and U/19), ICC Champions Trophy and any ICC Cricket World Cup or ICC Champions Trophy qualifying events. So only one-dayers, and not even full ODIs (I think the counties are safe from the upcoming European Championship in August, for example)

Edit on the match - according to another forum: Canada are bowled out for 286, with Barnett just missing out on the Canadian first class record after getting out for 136. Kenya 21/2 in reply chasing 291, (the following is me extrapolating from knowing how crap the Kenyan openers are) presumably with both openers gone and Modi and Tikolo batting.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Suji was on the night watch, wasn't he?
Don't be so sure on that - playing him at three has been an ongoing experiment that has never really worked. Trouble is that we have had such issues with who else to put there, it keeps being repeated. I don't know who the most recent Kenyan batsmen out are, but I would not be surprised if he was one.
I have been advocating for some time to give someone like Mishra a go, but they keep bringing him in a 5,6 or 7 :@

Mishra (the new Tikolo?
Lets hope so. He is certainly a player who Kenya have high hopes for. This is his first big score in a First Class game, but he also showed signs of his potential in the ODIs earlier in the year.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
Close of play on Day 3:

Kenya 2-45 chasing 291.
Not out batsmen are Steve Tikolo (22) and Tony Suji (13) (pleeeeease prove me wrong and score a big one at 3!)

Canada 286 all out: Barnett 136, Bagai 57, Davidson 22, Heaney 12

No word yet on which Kenyan bowler triggered the collapse.

So a very evenly poised match. Hope Tikolo and the boys can knock off those runs ok.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Legglancer said:
Yay ...Canada!
Isn't it Oh Canada! (or have they changed the national anthem again? ;) )

At lunch, Kenya are 143/4. This will go down to the wire.

Edit: So it did. Kenya 265 all out (curses for slow updates)

Collins Obuya 89*, so looks like he can play as a pure batsman (and will be needed to). A couple of openers are required, and a shame Ongondo and Odoyo didn't fire with the ball. Promising performance from Odhiambo, tho.

Last edited:

Steulen

International Regular
So the canada vs. netherlands game will probably decide the group winners...unless the weather intervenes for the third year running.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
A very painful result, but at least the junior players stepped up for Kenya.

Hopefully we will get some revenge in the ODIs.

I'd expect Muange to replace Patel and Kamande to replace Suji for the first game at least.

A couple of the fringe players produced some good scores in the domestic league last weekend and Ravindu Shah is working his way towards full match fitness, so a solution to the opening problem may come around before too long.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
Kenya return from Canada having narrowly lost the Intercontinental Cup match, but with two big victories from the ODIs. Not the precise results we were looking for, but a good comeback none the less.

Some good individual performances from the youngsters in the team gives hope for the future, but still a few wobbles at the top of the order.

Now it is home to face Bangladesh in what will be a much tougher series. Stll, we are at home and also the underdog which takes the pressure off, so who knows...