• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top cricket things not at a cricket ground

James

Cricket Web Owner
A CW Staff Member and I thought this would make a good thread :)

What are your favourite cricket things not at a cricket ground?

One that comes to mind for me is the clock at the Queen Victoria Building in Sydney that has a great cricket component to it. On the hour/every hour, out comes a collection of cricket models and a ball is bowled to the batsman which clean bowls him. It's all very nicely put together.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
I really like the Bradman Museum and the Bradman walk - both in Bowral. A really good cricket museum with interactive exhibits and films. A really enjoyable cricket day out.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
James said:
One that comes to mind for me is the clock at the Queen Victoria Building in Sydney that has a great cricket component to it. On the hour/every hour, out comes a collection of cricket models and a ball is bowled to the batsman which clean bowls him. It's all very nicely put together.
Does it!? Wow, I've lived here most my life and I never knew that.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Sunday afternoons on the park with friends, with just a bat, wickets and a ball. Thats my favourite cricket thing not at a ground.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't know if it's my favourite thing, but I do like the language cricket has given us. It's used by non-cricket fans all the time without them realising its origins which always makes me smile.

I suppose the obvious examples are "caught out" when someone's been naughty & "hit for six" or alternatively "bowled over" when one is shocked.

A personal favourite of mine is "he/she had a good innings" when someone of ripe old years passes away. :)

FRAZ

International Captain
1. Cricketweb (Ultimate now a days )
2. Exploring different cricket records on the internet + reading cricket blogs.
3. Talking with my cricket buddies and wasting like hours to discuss who will pay for tapes and the tennis balls and who will buy the bats. Who will arrange the refreshments bla bla .

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Dunno about Aussie, but they have Family Feuds in the States that's just a Family Fortunes rip-off (probably came first, but what the hell)

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Dunno about Aussie, but they have Family Feuds in the States that's just a Family Fortunes rip-off (probably came first, but what the hell)
Why would anyone want to rip off Family Fortunes? Staple diet of the regional ITV channels, says it all really.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
BoyBrumby said:
I don't know if it's my favourite thing, but I do like the language cricket has given us. It's used by non-cricket fans all the time without them realising its origins which always makes me smile.

I suppose the obvious examples are "caught out" when someone's been naughty & "hit for six" or alternatively "bowled over" when one is shocked.

A personal favourite of mine is "he/she had a good innings" when someone of ripe old years passes away. :)
Or when you slip over, it's "going for a six".