• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Tri-Series in Sri Lanka (Sri Lanka, South Africa, India)**

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Beleg said:
Why should Muralitharan and Sangakara be rested?
They are the key to SL 's success in Champions Trophy /World Cup and key Tests . Its best to keep these 2 guys refreshed so that they serve SL in key and important tournaments , instead of playing in meaning less ODIs. There are others who can take their place in these and show what they can do instead . These are ideal opportunities to trial others . For instance , I would like SL Team to play Bandara and Lokuaaratchchi together in some ODIs .

Murali's cricketing tenure is not going to go on forever and this is an opportune moment as any to trial these 2 guys together instead. Murali bowled 80 odd overs in the second Test and 60 overs in the First . I would, like lot of SL fans, like to see the Guy play more Tests for us than ODIs because, we seem to rely on our Maradona in Tests .

I think in ODIs the other spinners are equally effective and both are better batsmen than Murali which is better for the ODI team.

Lostman

State Captain
why couldnt they play these games in Dambulla?? wasnt the whole idea of building a stadium in Dambulla so that games wont be washed off.

Xuhaib

International Coach
JASON said:
They are the key to SL 's success in Champions Trophy /World Cup and key Tests . Its best to keep these 2 guys refreshed so that they serve SL in key and important tournaments , instead of playing in meaning less ODIs. There are others who can take their place in these and show what they can do instead . These are ideal opportunities to trial others . For instance , I would like SL Team to play Bandara and Lokuaaratchchi together in some ODIs .

Murali's cricketing tenure is not going to go on forever and this is an opportune moment as any to trial these 2 guys together instead. Murali bowled 80 odd overs in the second Test and 60 overs in the First . I would, like lot of SL fans, like to see the Guy play more Tests for us than ODIs because, we seem to rely on our Maradona in Tests .

I think in ODIs the other spinners are equally effective and both are better batsmen than Murali which is better for the ODI team.
But in crunch ODI's Murali will get you through.

dinu23

International Debutant
Lostman said:
why couldnt they play these games in Dambulla?? wasnt the whole idea of building a stadium in Dambulla so that games wont be washed off.
Indian and SA cricket boards refused to change venues, god knows why!

Nishant

International 12th Man
it looks like the series may be cancelled. According to cricinfo, SA will pull out of the series and the indians will play a billateral series with sri lanka! That might be gd...any opinions on this?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Nishant said:
it looks like the series may be cancelled. According to cricinfo, SA will pull out of the series and the indians will play a billateral series with sri lanka! That might be gd...any opinions on this?
South Africa (with this side) were never going to be much of a challenge for the Indians or Sri Lanka for that matter. So no real loss though they really did want to get some practice in sub-continental conditions before the Champions Trophy.

However another India and Sri Lanka encounter does not really ignite ones interest as much as a tri series,considering as Jono said these two nations are no strangers to each to other.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
South Africa's cricketers are ready to leave Sri Lanka, but their cricket board is waiting for the green light from the ICC before they announce the decision.

The players are apparently united in their desire to go home, and Gerald Majola, the chief executive of Cricket South Africa, is sympathetic to their stance. The board, however, doesn't want to run the risk of any sanctions from the ICC, and is waiting for its consent before they pull the plug on the tour.

However, Brian Murgatroyd, media and communication manager of the ICC, told Cricinfo: "We've not been contacted about it. I'm not aware about that. It's probably inappropriate for me to say anything on that matter at any stage. Something that may be dealt with Malcolm Speed."

Meanwhile, the Indian board has categorically stated that there is no question of their pulling out. Cricinfo spoke to a member of the Indian side who said that the team were in a "relaxed" frame of mind. "We had a very good briefing from the Sri Lankan board and we are happy with the security arrangements. Once we were made to understand that the attack was on a specific target for a specific reason, we had no cause to worry."

Sharad Pawar, the president of the board, said it's the host nation that has to take the decision on such matters. As things stand, it is likely that India and Sri Lanka will contest a bilateral series in South Africa's absence.

Lalit Modi, the vice-president of the BCCI, told Cricinfo: "What South Africa decide is their business. Let us not speculate. Let us wait for the facts and then decide. The series is on and we haven't heard anything to the contrary."

Someone's a bit tired of losing :laugh:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Someone's a bit tired of losing :laugh:
It is very easy to laugh at the South African's situation and accuse them of being scared of losing.

After 9/11, I remember how much everyone back home was worried for me despite knowing very well that I was miles away from NYC. Here these guys are in the same city and IMO lucky that the blast took some place else, it could have been on the street they were walking or in the Hotel they were staying (as it happened during NZ tour of Pak).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Plus, SA at full strength are an awesome ODI team. Their 2-2 series with India last year was tremendous. They're undermanned, but I don't think they would have done too horribly in the ODI series.

I was looking forward to this series actually, but I just can't bring myself to blaming them for leaving.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Pretty dissapointed that the series will end quite early, but surely can't blame RSA for their decisions..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
alternative said:
Pretty dissapointed that the series will end quite early, but surely can't blame RSA for their decisions..

Sure you can. Its not like they were targetted specifically. India is staying put.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
No one is saying they were targetted, but just that they could have been there had it been an off day. Indian team is staying put because all our board cares is '$$$' and I can bet they haven't even taken players' opinion on this.

In any case just because Indian team is staying doesn't mean SA team should say.

Nishant

International 12th Man
India v Sri lanka in a 5-match series is not really something that interests fans considering the fact that they played only recently. But, i guess its cricket and most indian and sri lankan fans ( and perhaps others) will still watch this encounter!

Nishant

International 12th Man
Sanz said:
No one is saying they were targetted, but just that they could have been there had it been an off day. Indian team is staying put because all our board cares is '$$$' and I can bet they haven't even taken players' opinion on this.

In any case just because Indian team is staying doesn't mean SA team should say.
SA have every right to go...but if india are staying, i would've thought that SA would feel a bit more reassured if not confident that they are now safe in colombo.

Nishant

International 12th Man
not trying to be too harsh.....the south african team is scared about their safety and are not happy about the security that is offered to them. Why is it then that they don't mind wandering around colombo with that security on a sunny day but refuse to play matches?

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/unitechcup/content/story/256525.html

Here's a quote: There is also some mystification about the statement from the South African High Commission in Colombo, which states that "the team, and cricket in general, do not appear to be targets in the civil unrest in Sri Lanka."

Why are SA refusing to play then? Afraid of losing or what? Or is it that the senior players want a bit of rest?

Last edited:

ramu

Cricket Spectator
Nishant said:
not trying to be too harsh.....the south african team is scared about their safety and are not happy about the security that is offered to them. Why is it then that they don't mind wandering around colombo with that security on a sunny day but refuse to play matches?

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/unitechcup/content/story/256525.html

Here's a quote: There is also some mystification about the statement from the South African High Commission in Colombo, which states that "the team, and cricket in general, do not appear to be targets in the civil unrest in Sri Lanka."

Why are SA refusing to play then? Afraid of losing or what? Or is it that the senior players want a bit of rest?

exactly you are right they are afraid of losing :laugh: cowards