• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Tri-Series in Sri Lanka (Sri Lanka, South Africa, India)**

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
silentstriker said:
And not only that...the security firm is based in Dubai and never even visited Sri Lanka.
And you're based in the States, yet clearly have a better knowledge...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
silentstriker said:
Would you do the same thing if someone got shot in a carjacking a block down the road? Neither scenario is likely to happen to you, and you aren't targetted specifically.
But if a bomb goes off in your vicinity, you're in danger of getting hurt.

If a carjacking happens, you won't get hurt.

silentstriker said:
People who clamored to go home have no idea about the situation in Sri Lanka. I don't claim to be an expert, but even I know that much.
So what about the independent ICC security team then, do they obviously not know anything about the situation either?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
viktor said:
Well somebody has to pay for the losses the SL board will suffer. The ICC didn't force SA to leave. They wanted to (For whatever reasons.). It only seems fair that they reimburse SL's losses .
Why is it only fair?

That suggests that they're at fault for it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
viktor said:
It was stupid to organize the Tri-series in the monsoon. However, all the 3 boards and the ICC are guilty for that particular stupidity.
How is it the ICCs fault?

They didn't organise the series.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
But all I can say is, if that happens, SA Cricket better watch out because, the Subcontinent is united in these type of issues and SA will face not only a cricketing backlash but there will definitely be Vengeance from the Subcontinent at every available opportunity from now on.
Talk about an over-reaction 8-)

JASON said:
And there will be added incentive for subcontinental Teams to thrash the hell out of SA from now on and send them further into Cricketing Oblivion , that their form may indeed suggest that they rightfully deserve.
Oh yes, their form that is so bad that they weren't far off winning the last Test they played, and one might argue that had Ntini not gone down injured then they would've done.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
Lots of home wins .....
Not in ODIs that matter ....but in meaningless ones and mostly home wins ..:happy: :happy: :p
But by the same token, this series would've been equally meaningless, so these results that you've already decreed to be a whitewash of SA wouldn't have had any impact either.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
That does not deny the fact that SA themselves are extremely weak in both forms of the game over the past 2 years and extremely over rated in ODIs .
So extremely weak that they nearly drew with SL and have had a superb run of results ion ODIs recently. 8-)

Langeveldt

Soutie
JASON said:
How absurd !! Haven't heard anything more dumber than that. Just because my User Name is in capital means, I am shouting am I ?

How absolutely silly is that ?:D
Very, so silly in fact that maybe you could have worked out I was joking!

Obviously not...

Dravid

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Why should they?

Seeing as the ICC security consultants agreed there were problems, I think they're fully justified in coming home if they so wish.
Well yea they have the right to leav if they are not satisfied with the security on a tour, but they also must reschedule the series or there will be a penalty

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
viktor said:
No. Prabhakaran didn't ask them to leave. In any case, Prabhakaran does not have any authority over SA . SA chose to leave. They should pay.
SA didn't chose to leave, they were forced to leave after a bomb blast that was done by Prabhakaran's men and that killed some people.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
And Prabhakharan is looking for those who provided weapons to the Sri Lankan Government that killed 50 -60, 000 Tamils over the past 30 years and particularly those who provided bombs that killed 50 odd orphaned Tamil children at a school recently.
I have no sympathy for those who train children as suicide bombers, so please take up your sympathy case elsewhere.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Why is it only fair?

That suggests that they're at fault for it.
Two teams faced the same situation. One team, for whatever reasons decided to stay on. The other, again for their reasons, decided to leave. The leaving of that team led to the cancellment of the series. The ICC did not force that team to leave. They chose to do it of their own accord. I don't see why they shouldn't pay up.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
How is it the ICCs fault?

They didn't organise the series.
Not directly. But they are the governing body. If somebody comes up with a patently stupid itenerary, I believe, they should have a right, and exercise that right to step in and prevent this from happening.
They are also to blame for overcrowding the calender to such an extent that these events have to be squeezed in at inopportune times..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
viktor said:
Two teams faced the same situation. One team, for whatever reasons decided to stay on. The other, again for their reasons, decided to leave. The leaving of that team led to the cancellment of the series. The ICC did not force that team to leave. They chose to do it of their own accord. I don't see why they shouldn't pay up.
No, the 2 teams did not face the same situation.

The ICC people agreed that they could go home, so the ICC cannot then force them to pay for it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
marc71178 said:
And you're based in the States, yet clearly have a better knowledge...

Apparently, I do. They didn't even visit SL. Why do you think the situation seems this strange to EVERYONE? The Tamil Tigers do not attack tourists.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
marc71178 said:
But if a bomb goes off in your vicinity, you're in danger of getting hurt.

If a carjacking happens, you won't get hurt.
Sure, if the carjacking happens to you, you do. You're much more likely to be carjacked than hit by a bomb.

So what about the independent ICC security team then, do they obviously not know anything about the situation either?

They never visited SL.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Apparently, I do. They didn't even visit SL. Why do you think the situation seems this strange to EVERYONE? The Tamil Tigers do not attack tourists.
They might not attack tourists but (as I understand) this is the third time a bomb has gone off within the vicinity of a touring cricket team...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
silentstriker said:
Sure, if the carjacking happens to you, you do. You're much more likely to be carjacked than hit by a bomb.
So please tell me how this South African team were likely to be carjacked when they didn't have cars?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
silentstriker said:
They're at fault for overreacting and leaving.
No, they got 2 sets of security experts who agreed that they could leave.

The ICC agreed, so how is it the South Africans over-reacting?