• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Elegant and Smooth XI

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Carl Hooper would have shout to get into one of these sides. HIs batting, bowling, catching... everything was smooth and (seemed) effortless.

Xuhaib

International Coach
honestbharani said:
I think Carl Hooper would have shout to get into one of these sides. HIs batting, bowling, catching... everything was smooth and (seemed) effortless.
Agreed.

Darren Ganga, Michal Vaughan ???

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
What about Chris Gayle? his always cool with those shades on even when he bowls
Wasn't Viv Richards cool along with the rest of the west Indies>

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Xuhaib said:
I always considered Lara as elegant, his whip of the hips and his effortless six hitting of quality spinners.

Elegent is different from quality. When I think of 'elegant', I think of textbook strokeplay. Lara is so awesome to watch, in part because he DOESN'T have the textbook strokes. He is definatly NOT elegant in my opinion. Not even close.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
John Emburey has possibly the most textbook-correct off-spin action I've seen, but kinda let himself down in the elegance stakes by being a dog-rough, but fairly effective lower order batter.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
Replace Healy with Bari Plzz and Chaps with Vengsarkar Plzz..
Have a good day plzzz
Healy is the Wicket Keeping God, so Bari,Kiri can't really replace him.

Vengsarkar replacing chappell, Puhleeze.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
I wouldn't classify Lara as smooth, I always thought he was the opposite. Rigid and rough in his strokes, yet utterly brilliant at the same time.

This is mine based on players I've watched first hand.

Anwar
Atapattu
Yousuf
Tendulkar
M Waugh
Azzah
Healy (If this is mainly based on keeping, his batting wasn't smooth, but neither is Gilly's, Sanga's, Akmal's etc.)
Akram (c)
Warne
Donald
McGrath
Nice team. I'd go for someone else over Akram, and Stephen Fleming over Atapattu for mine. Fleming is a wonderfully elegant batsman I think, has one of the best drives in the game to watch. Michael Vaughan might also be worth a look for the other opening spot.

Perhaps Daniel Vettori over Akram?

FRAZ

International Captain
Sanz said:
Healy is the Wicket Keeping God, so Bari,Kiri can't really replace him.

Vengsarkar replacing chappell, Puhleeze.
Listen Sanz
The team that we are making is of smooth and elegant players.
In the world XI offcourse , Bari no way near or Vengsarkar , no way near .
But dear I disagree if you will force a person who is not Smooth.
By the way what is the definition of smooth Pal ease ?

archie mac

International Coach
England

Jack Hobbs
Lionel Palairet
Ranji
David Gower
Reg Spooner
Frank Woolley
Harold Larwood
Jim Laker
Fred Trueman (C)
Richard Pilling (wk)
Colin Blythe

12 man Tom Richardson

A bit light on for batting and could use another fast bowler. If a green top bring in Richardson for Blythe and let Woolley perform the left arm off-spin :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
archie mac said:
England

Jack Hobbs
Lionel Palairet
Ranji
David Gower
Reg Spooner
Frank Woolley
Harold Larwood
Jim Laker
Fred Trueman (C)
Richard Pilling (wk)
Colin Blythe

12 man Tom Richardson

A bit light on for batting and could use another fast bowler. If a green top bring in Richardson for Blythe and let Woolley perform the left arm off-spin :)
Not so sure about Lol myself. I've seen some footage of him circa Bodyline &, to my eye at least, he looks to have a noticeable kink in his elbow. Were he bowling today I could see him spending time in the labs @ the uni of WA.

archie mac

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Not so sure about Lol myself. I've seen some footage of him circa Bodyline &, to my eye at least, he looks to have a noticeable kink in his elbow. Were he bowling today I could see him spending time in the labs @ the uni of WA.
I was thinking of his smooth run up. But as far as I know he was never called or even questioned about his action. Could it be the different film speed, giving an optical illusion?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
archie mac said:
I was thinking of his smooth run up. But as far as I know he was never called or even questioned about his action. Could it be the different film speed, giving an optical illusion?
Possibly, the extant footage is pretty grainy. It's all I've got to go on tho! Didn't notice it with Voce's action either.

archie mac

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Possibly, the extant footage is pretty grainy. It's all I've got to go on tho! Didn't notice it with Voce's action either.
I imagine you have heard the story of Bradman showing film of a mystery left arm bowler and asking people what they thought of his action? To which they would reply that the bowler in question was a chucker.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
archie mac said:
I imagine you have heard the story of Bradman showing film of a mystery left arm bowler and asking people what they thought of his action? To which they would reply that the bowler in question was a chucker.
I think you were the one who told me it, now I think about it! :D Wasn't it a reversed film of Larwood?

archie mac

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
I think you were the one who told me it, now I think about it! :D Wasn't it a reversed film of Larwood?
Yes, I often repeat myself :D

I must admit when I see film of Ray Lindwall I also think his action a little suspect, but as with Larwood he was never called or questioned. In fact when the 1958/59 English tourists arrived Lindwall greeted them with the words 'I may be the only BOWLER you face this summer' (or words to that effect)

Natman20

International Debutant
I think that Fleming has been elegant and smooth at times but only when he gets going. His smoothness during cover drives is great to watch. Its smooth and flowing and makes it look so easy.