• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team of 11 seamers

Benny2k1

U19 12th Man
Stolen from the team of 11 spinners idea, time to post a team of 11 seamers:D

Steve Waugh
Sachin Tendulkar
IT Botham
N Kapil Dev
Imran Khan
C Walcott (wk)
A Flintoff
M Marshall
FS Trueman
J Garner
JB Statham

BoyBrumby

Englishman
With the bowling at your disposal already I think I'd try to squeeze in Sobers, Kallis & Punter for (say) Kapil Dev, Fred & Beefy.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Boycott would have to open the batting, he was a tidy medium pacer very early in his career. I agree with the fact that Sachin as a seamer is a stretch.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
BoyBrumby said:
With the bowling at your disposal already I think I'd try to squeeze in Sobers, Kallis & Punter for (say) Kapil Dev, Fred & Beefy.

That would make a farce of the whole list. Punter for Beefy in a pace bowling list?

It needs Sobers though, no doubt.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
steds said:
It's not a pace bowling list, though. It's a team made up of people who bowl seam up.

Well, everyone can bowl it...but doesn't mean they are any good. I mean you could just stick a list of an All Time XI and name it All time spinners list, all time pacer list, etc...because all of them can bowl seam if you ask them too. Just run up and shoot the ball straight.

But they shouldn't be on a list like this.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
steds said:
Yes, you can. Have a long run up and turn your arm over and hurl it as fast as you can. It doesn't mean it will come out all that fast, and it doesn't mean you can bowl it well, it just means you have control over your shoulder and are able to move it in an arc. There has to be a criteria: i.e 50 wickets taken or 200 overs bowled, or the list is completely useless.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Yes, you can. Run up and turn your arm over. It doesn't mean you can bowl it well, it just means you can move your arm. There has to be a criteria: i.e 50 wickets taken, or the list is completely useless.
No. I really can't. 11 years of trying to bowl leg spin and now I can't help but bowl it. Even when I'm trying not to. Would be alright if I could bowl it decently...

But yeah, you're right about the criteria.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
silentstriker said:
Well, everyone can bowl it...but doesn't mean they are any good. I mean you could just stick a list of an All Time XI and name it All time spinners list, all time pacer list, etc...because all of them can bowl seam if you ask them too. Just run up and shoot the ball straight.

But they shouldn't be on a list like this.
S'not a list tho, is it? It's an XI of players who happen to bowl seam up.

I'd include Punter (whose little med pacers are probably under-used IMHO) ahead of (say) Beefy, 'cos with the other seamers at one's disposal Ponting's runs would be more useful than Botham's bowling.

I'm not seriously suggesting that Ponting is a better bowler; but for that matter would Beefy make the best XI seamers of all time? V doubtful, I'd say.

There's probably a "greatest seamers" thread if you can be arsed to look.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
BoyBrumby said:
S'not a list tho, is it? It's an XI of players who happen to bowl seam up.

I'd include Punter (whose little med pacers are probably under-used IMHO) ahead of (say) Beefy, 'cos with the other seamers at one's disposal Ponting's runs would be more useful than Botham's bowling.

I'm not seriously suggesting that Ponting is a better bowler; but for that matter would Beefy make the best XI seamers of all time? V doubtful, I'd say.

There's probably a "greatest seamers" thread if you can be arsed to look.

Right, but their bowling has to be an 'option' for the team, right? An option thats excercised more than once a decade? What about a simple and a VERY low criteria...say 20 wickets? I mean if you haven't taken 20 wickets...then you simply CANNOT be in a list..even a list like this?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
silentstriker said:
Right, but their bowling has to be an 'option' for the team, right? An option thats excercised more than once a decade? What about a simple and a VERY low criteria...say 20 wickets? I mean if you haven't taken 20 wickets...then you simply CANNOT be in a list..even a list like this?
From memory Punter's taken 6 test wickets, so it's slightly more than once a decade. Only slightly tho.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Benny2k1 said:
Ok then lets have a team of 11 seamers who have taken at least 1 test wicket bowling seam
That'll be the side you originally posted (assuming Sachin got one with his medium pace).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I was trying to do a seamers' XI who'd all taken 50 test wickets, but can't find a wicketkeeper.

Anyone....? :unsure:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
Tatenda Taibu has plenty of 'high class' (e.g. FC, U19, ListA) wickets, but few Test wickets.
Thats actually a pretty good shout. He would be my keeper for the moment and will continue to think of potential alternatives.