• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If...

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
If you could attend any day in the history of cricket, what day would it be?

Oval last year must be pretty hard to beat for an England fan, but I think i'd prefer to go back to one of the old games, like Laker's 10fer at OT in the fifties or a day when Bradman was playing.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Allan Donald's 300th test wicket in his home town of Bloemfontein, when they fired the Canon on Naval Hill, would have been awesome..

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It would definitely be a day from the Bodyline Series in 1932/33. Probably the day when Larwood hit both Woodfull and Oldfield and the crowd was in a frenzy. Possibly the 2nd Test of that Series when Bradman walked out to a heroes reception from the huge crowd and was bowled First Ball by Bill Bowles and the crowd went totally silent.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Lillian Thomson said:
It would definitely be a day from the Bodyline Series in 1932/33. Probably the day when Larwood hit both Woodfull and Oldfield and the crowd was in a frenzy. Possibly the 2nd Test of that Series when Bradman walked out to a heroes reception from the huge crowd and was bowled First Ball by Bill Bowles and the crowd went totally silent.
Snap. That would be my ideal day.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lillian Thomson said:
Think it'd be the 32/33 Ashes for me too.

It would've been quite something to see the Adelaide Oval crowd's reaction after Woodfull was smacked on the heart & the fellow in my avatar responsed by immediately setting his "leg-theory" field.

Might not have been too wise to advertise one's pommyness tho!

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Definiteley the 23rd and 24th February 1988. In my mind, and having read quite a lot about it, it is one of the most dramatic stories in history.

Three-day match played between schoolboys is an interesting background, particularly for us in England where two-day or three-day cricket is limited to very high level schools cricket and county youth teams. Sharadashram lose two early wickets, before Tendulkar and Kambli, on what cannot have been a perfect batting strip, embark on the most epic partnership in cricket history.

Consider 13-year-old Amol Muzumdar, who would later set the record for the highest score on first-class debut, padded up and waiting for a wicket to fall.

Consider Sairaj Bahutule, who would later play for India in the Kolkata Test in 2001, getting ripped apart despite having the potential to one day be the second best legspinner in India.

Consider the 14-year-old Tendulkar being told to declare by his coach at the close of play on the first day, yet being headstrong enough to keep batting with Kambli the next day.

Consider a 14-year-old, playing in probably the most competitive schoolboy competition in the world, averaging over a thousand runs in a single tournament.

And that, my friends, would be worth seeing.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd probably go and watch Bodyline

Or maybe the First Test

Or the last day at Edgbaston or The Oval 05

Langeveldt

Soutie
Jungle Jumbo said:
Definiteley the 23rd and 24th February 1988. In my mind, and having read quite a lot about it, it is one of the most dramatic stories in history.

Three-day match played between schoolboys is an interesting background, particularly for us in England where two-day or three-day cricket is limited to very high level schools cricket and county youth teams. Sharadashram lose two early wickets, before Tendulkar and Kambli, on what cannot have been a perfect batting strip, embark on the most epic partnership in cricket history.

Consider 13-year-old Amol Muzumdar, who would later set the record for the highest score on first-class debut, padded up and waiting for a wicket to fall.

Consider Sairaj Bahutule, who would later play for India in the Kolkata Test in 2001, getting ripped apart despite having the potential to one day be the second best legspinner in India.

Consider the 14-year-old Tendulkar being told to declare by his coach at the close of play on the first day, yet being headstrong enough to keep batting with Kambli the next day.

Consider a 14-year-old, playing in probably the most competitive schoolboy competition in the world, averaging over a thousand runs in a single tournament.

And that, my friends, would be worth seeing.
class post

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This may sound a little narcissistic, but I feel deprived by the fact I never got a chance to watch myself bowl. So maybe Id go back and watch myself :)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Final day of the tied test in Brisbane is the obvious choice. The single most dramatic day in test history.

archie mac

International Coach
3rd and final day of the fourth Test 1902, but can I be greedy and watch the first day as well? When Trumper scored a ton before lunch:)

archie mac

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Final day of the tied test in Brisbane is the obvious choice. The single most dramatic day in test history.
The fact that you know what is going to happen may ruin it some what, where as I would think the tension in SA during the Bodyline match would be more dramatic because it is not the result that the excitement comes from. :)

FRAZ

International Captain
Honestly speaking , I would like to go back and play a match again ,the first young cricketers match that I played in which I left the ball because it was coming too quick towards me and I was afraid that it is going to hit me . Hmmm I played good and could do better . Otherwise I would like to go back in the history and would like to see Wasim Akram taking those two wickets in two balls in the 1992 world cup final .

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Voltman said:
Eddie Gilbert's over to Don Bradman at the Gabba.
Good post that.

When McGrath took the hat trick against the West Indies would have been an amazing atmosphere, or Steve Waugh's hundred at the SCG, or Bradman's last test innings.

Last edited: