• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI tournament ever

FRAZ

International Captain
For me it was the 1992 world cup ,not because Pakistan won it . I think its format was wonderful and it gave birth to many new things in the ODIs e.g. different cameras , colourful dressing , Zimbabwe and South Africa etc etc . I guess 2nd best is the Australasia Cup (If somebody remembers)

Xuhaib

International Coach
If you take out the World Cups, then there are a few in contention.

Some Sharjah tri-angulars in early 90's were quite good and i also throughly enjoyed the tri-angulars in OZ during the 90's aswell since it was always a balanced competition between bat and ball and thats how ODI's should be but the best of all could be Nehru Cup in INdia 89 or the Hero cup in 93.

FRAZ

International Captain
Xuhaib said:
If you take out the World Cups, then there are a few in contention.

Some Sharjah tri-angulars in early 90's were quite good and i also throughly enjoyed the tri-angulars in OZ during the 90's aswell since it was always a balanced competition between bat and ball and thats how ODI's should be but the best of all could be Nehru Cup in INdia 89 or the Hero cup in 93.
Nehru cup is third best for me .. It was very good too .

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
The VB Series in 2001/2002 between Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa was a pretty good tournament. I think the thing that really made it for me though was yet another Michael Bevan match-winning innings.

Aus v NZ - 29 Jan 2002

Xuhaib

International Coach
From a bowlers point of view it has to be triangular in SAF involving Pak, SA and WI.

Wasim,Waqar,Amby,Walsh,Bishop,Donald and Fanie were all on fire in that series.

FRAZ

International Captain
Xuhaib said:
From a bowlers point of view it has to be triangular in SAF involving Pak, SA and WI.

Wasim,Waqar,Amby,Walsh,Bishop,Donald and Fanie were all on fire in that series.
Waqar bowling at 155 regularly and taking 5 in one match and Wasim taking 5 in the next match against SAF . Pakistan out for 44 against West Indies and in reply Waqar and Wasim were also bowling very well .And in the final Pakistani Batsmen failed once again and Wasim was so angry that when he was asked to say some thing on the microphone he said" I am sorry " . Shoaib Mohammad made a fifty in the final I think (if I am not mistaken) and that fifty was one of the most eventful fifties I have ever seen in my life .
And that was the time when Pakistan was a bunny for West Indies .

FRAZ

International Captain
Sri Lanka became Srilanka that we know after one ODI series in Sharjah when they were beaten in the final against Windies but that was one of the very best Odi series I have ever seen . Hashan Tilekratne's innings was very very nice . And I remember Murali bowling one ball to a left handed Windies batter which pitched near the boundry of the pitch and turned like crazy and took the leg stump of the guy ..... Crazy ball .

FRAZ

International Captain
I wish I had the video of 1983 world cup . That was an amazing one too .

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
Nehru cup is third best for me .. It was very good too .
8-) 8-) I dont think you should start such threads if the sole criteria for your best tournaments is Pakistan winning the cup.

World Cup 92, I can understand, but Australasia Cup 1986 was your send best ? Apart from a Miandad Six, no one remembers that tournament. And Nehru Cup, Any cup that has a word Nehru in it shouldn't come anywhere near top 10 for cricketing reasons.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
99 World Cup for me. Some great VB/B&H Series over the years too, including a couple of those where South Africa were involved. The 99 WC takes the cake though, as it was not only a wonderfully competitive tournament, but also contained hands down the greatest ODI match ever.

FRAZ

International Captain
Sanz said:
8-) 8-) I dont think you should start such threads if the sole criteria for your best tournaments is Pakistan winning the cup.

World Cup 92, I can understand, but Australasia Cup 1986 was your send best ? Apart from a Miandad Six, no one remembers that tournament. And Nehru Cup, Any cup that has a word Nehru in it shouldn't come anywhere near top 10 for cricketing reasons.
Pakistan Yeh Pakistan Wo . Whaddup with you and Pakistan Sanz :) . And oh yeah I did mention the last tournament that India won (that I remember) i.e. 1983 world cup .

FRAZ

International Captain
Sanz said:
96 World Cup, easily.
Because of having quarter finals, and giving the chance to even the lamest teams of the world cup to pull out the miracle of beating the better ones ,e.g. hmmmmmmmmmmm South Africans .

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
Sanz said:
but Australasia Cup 1986 was your send best ? Apart from a Miandad Six, no one remembers that tournament. And Nehru Cup, Any cup that has a word Nehru in it shouldn't come anywhere near top 10 for cricketing reasons.
Nope I remember Australasia cup for its huge prize money and Wasim Akram taking a hattrick and bowling very well through out .And you know I like Fast bowlers . real beauty of the game thing as Agarkar is more famous than Kumble in some circles . And why not Nehru , you left the answer so that I ask the question first . So Sanz why not Nehru ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
And why not Nehru , you left the answer so that I ask the question first . So Uncle Sanz why not Nehru ?
Because Nehru never played Cricket, neither was he known for his love for the game.

FRAZ

International Captain
Sanz said:
Because Nehru never played Cricket, neither was he known for his love for the game.
Oh that is some excellent theory . And lol I remember one thing lolol . I used to visit my native village in Punjab .And once a native there tried to organize a tournament for the neighbouring villages and because of his bad understanding of the language and just per habbit of giving the tournaments the name of any famous person ,he named the tournament memorial tournament and he put his dad's name before the memorial . And guess what his dad is still alive to date .hahahaha ..Man we joked the hell out of him . Yeah i know the lame organizers some times .......

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
Therefore any cricket tournament with the name Nehru in it can't possibly be any good?